Axiom Home Page
Posted By: spiffnme Spiffnme Mix v2 - 05/01/05 09:49 PM
Now available... (btw for the couple of you who've asked for v1 and have yet to receive it...you'll get both at the same time)

Track Listing...

1) Ecstasy by Rusted Root
2) It’s All Over Now by The Dirty Dozen Brass Band
3) Love Sick by Bob Dylan
4) Red Bats with Teeth by Angelo Badalamenti
5) Aisha by Death in Vegas
6) Petrol by Orbital
7) Shudder & King of Snake by Underworld
8) Swollen by Bent
9) Corcovado by The Oscar Peterson Trio
10) Samba De Orpheus by The Vince Guaraldi Trio
11) Simply Beautiful by Queen Latifah
12) Jelly Roll by Shinji Takeda
13) Where You End by Moby
14) Love Song For My Mom by Moby

Posted By: spiffnme Re: Spiffnme Mix v2 - 05/01/05 11:08 PM
with links to where you can buy this wonderful stuff...

1) Ecstasy by Rusted Root
2) It’s All Over Now by The Dirty Dozen Brass Band
3) Love Sick by Bob Dylan
4) Red Bats with Teeth by Angelo Badalamenti
5) Aisha by Death in Vegas
6) Petrol by Orbital
7) Shudder & King of Snake by Underworld
8) Swollen by Bent
9) Corcovado by The Oscar Peterson Trio
10) Samba De Orpheus by The Vince Guaraldi Trio
11) Simply Beautiful by Queen Latifah
12) Jelly Roll by Shinji Takeda
13) Where You End by Moby
14) Love Song For My Mom by Moby

Posted By: NeverHappy Re: Spiffnme Mix v2 - 05/02/05 02:04 AM
What no Prince?
Posted By: BigWill Re: Spiffnme Mix v2 - 05/02/05 02:27 AM
Queen Latifah?
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Spiffnme Mix v2 - 05/02/05 05:13 AM
In reply to:

Queen Latifah?

You'll be shocked.

Posted By: player8 Re: Spiffnme Mix v2 - 05/02/05 08:04 PM
Are you referring to Dana Owens?
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Spiffnme Mix v2 - 05/02/05 08:28 PM
One and the same.

Posted By: pmbuko Re: Spiffnme Mix v2 - 05/02/05 08:30 PM
Isn't she the voice from the Pizza Hut commercials?
Posted By: player8 Re: Spiffnme Mix v2 - 05/02/05 08:33 PM
Actually not. When I think of Queen Latifah I think of crappy, female rap. When I think of Dana Owens, I think "wow" what a voice. Semantics really.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Spiffnme Mix v2 - 05/02/05 08:44 PM
Yep...rap, pizza hut, movies, and incredible jazz vocals. She's quite amazing.

Posted By: bigjohn Re: Spiffnme Mix v2 - 05/02/05 08:58 PM
so wait, y'all are confusing me..

so is the pizza hut commercials dana owens or queen latifah? i always thought it was queen latifah.

bigjohn

BTW- thats a new stupid game we have invented among my friends.. we try and guess what super-star has lended their voice to commercials. just a few i can think of off the top of my head..

george clooney is doing budweiser ads
antonio banderas is doing allergy ads as the bumble-bee.
and richard dreyfuss is doing honda ads.

listen for them...
Posted By: WhatFurrer Re: Spiffnme Mix v2 - 05/02/05 09:12 PM
Patrick Stewart is doing tire commercials as is Tom Selleck...not sure which brands.

WhatFurrer
Posted By: Craig_P Re: Spiffnme Mix v2 - 05/02/05 09:14 PM
Dana Owens is Queen Latifah's given name. They are one and the same.
I too often notice famous people doing voice over/narration in commercials. Never really made a habit out of it, I just identify their voices as soon as I hear them. And surprisingly (or maybe not), there are a lot of celebs who lend their voices to commercials. Easy work I guess.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Spiffnme Mix v2 - 05/02/05 10:08 PM
Yeah, but Patrick Stewart also introduces the "behind the scenes" featurette on the Bambi DVD...
Posted By: player8 Re: Spiffnme Mix v2 - 05/03/05 05:42 AM
Not to push this further but personally, I say they are different. Queen Latifah performs rap. Dana Owens is a great jazz vocalist. If you are putting a "Queen Latifah" song on your mix I'm very interested.
Posted By: MiniRock Re: Spiffnme Mix v2 - 05/03/05 06:54 AM
I'm down for one.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Spiffnme Mix v2 - 05/03/05 02:31 PM
Queen Latifah sells albums...nobody would buy a Dana Owens cd. Hence her jazz album is by "Queen Latifah". It's just titled "The Dana Owens Album".

Regardless...it's awesome.

Posted By: Zarak Re: Spiffnme Mix v2 - 05/03/05 10:44 PM
I've yet to receive any CD's, but I'm curious to hear them. Of course, the new NIN came out today, so that is going to be taking my listening attention for a while.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Spiffnme Mix v2 - 05/04/05 12:51 AM
I got a bit behind in burning and shipping. I sent some more out today, but there's still quite a few more to go.

My mix two is rather odd...afer listening to it a few times myself. It starts of soft and slightly down, turns rather dark and mean, and then finishes up light and upbeat. I'm an odd bird.

Posted By: Thasp Re: Spiffnme Mix v2 - 05/04/05 03:37 AM
Not to go off topic, but I find it surprising how the sharing of music via uploading on the internet(usenet, bittorrent, gnutella, etc) is illegal, yet this isn't. Not that I agree with the illegality of either, just food for thought.

I will check some of those songs out.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Spiffnme Mix v2 - 05/04/05 03:56 AM
In reply to:

Not to go off topic, but I find it surprising how the sharing of music via uploading on the internet(usenet, bittorrent, gnutella, etc) is illegal, yet this isn't.

Well, honestly it is... and I sent out 4 CDs - I can rationalize it however I want, but we're talking about piracy here really.

Would be cool to just play the tunes for the others who want to hear them, but only Tharkun's got the necessary SPLs to hit anyone outside of his own city.

Bren R.
Posted By: AshBoomstick Re: Spiffnme Mix v2 - 05/04/05 02:31 PM
isn't it funny how sharing(which my Mom taught me is a good thing) is so frowned upon now. nevermind the fact that i'll probably go out and buy a couple albums with tracks from that mix disc you made, ya know? people are way too litigous in this country...
p.s.-bren, i haven't gotten the time to "actively" listen to your disc yet. the wife and i just got a dog on Saturday that's been taking up our attention, but from the background it sounds really good.
Posted By: bray Re: Spiffnme Mix v2 - 05/04/05 03:20 PM
What kind of pooch did ya get?
Pics please.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Spiffnme Mix v2 - 05/04/05 03:24 PM
my wife and i went to a concert of one of our favorite texas country bands on saturday night called 'cross canadian ragweed'.

during the show the lead singer said to the audience, "hope y'all have heard our new album.. go buy it, or burn it, or rip it, or copy it, or wahtever.. we dont care how you get it, as long as you do." he went on to add, "the guys that complain about copying cd's, are the same guys with 3 ferreri's in the driveway. i drive a 96 tahoe, so i dont give a $hit".. the audience went crazy.

i think its the established bands that have an issue with burning and downloading music. the smaller guys, they WANT people to hear their music, they want you to get it any way you can. they are still trying to make a name for themselves.

so , to lars and those like him i say..SHUT-UP and go cry in your 10 room mansions.. cause i dont care!!

bigjohn
Posted By: JaimeG Re: Spiffnme Mix v2 - 05/04/05 03:35 PM
<Aisha by Death in Vegas >
Isnt that the song used in a home-video running around the internet of a dorky teenage kid singing along to Aisha? The video is funny in a painful way . the song is ok I guess...
Posted By: sidvicious02 Re: Spiffnme Mix v2 - 05/04/05 03:55 PM
John, I'm in complete agreeance with you. Downloading, sharing, whatever you want to call it, is often the only way for some of these young bands to "get there music out there". I am sure that I have bought 150+ cds over the past year from new, up and coming bands that I haven't heard on the radio. Only reason I considered purchasing is because I can download some music to try out.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Spiffnme Mix v2 - 05/04/05 04:25 PM
In reply to:

bren, i haven't gotten the time to "actively" listen to your disc yet. the wife and i just got a dog on Saturday that's been taking up our attention, but from the background it sounds really good.

Hmm.. I have to say that a young dog shouldn't be allowed to hear some of the lyrical content! Next thing you know, it'll be hanging out with other punk dogs, smoking and taking an active interest in politics!

Bren R.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Spiffnme Mix v2 - 05/04/05 04:28 PM
In reply to:

<Aisha by Death in Vegas >
Isnt that the song used in a home-video running around the internet of a dorky teenage kid singing along to Aisha?

Dunno. Never seen or heard of that.

Posted By: Ken.C Re: Spiffnme Mix v2 - 05/04/05 04:59 PM
I think we need a list of who all has these things available (or is planning to do it) for those of us who are latecomers.
These are the people I know who have them, and I'm sure there are others:
BigWill
Spiffnme
pmbuko
BrenR

and I'm working on one. Really...
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Spiffnme Mix v2 - 05/04/05 05:11 PM
I'll be doing one ASAP, too Ken.

I just know it won't be in the next several days at least.
Posted By: JaimeG Re: Spiffnme Mix v2 - 05/04/05 05:30 PM
I'll send you a link to the video when I get home today.

Posted By: bigwill2 Re: Spiffnme Mix v2 - 05/04/05 07:00 PM
FWIW, the last of mine will be going out today. They are sans the Sanborn tune and the Skatalites tune has a single spike/error sound which is annoying, but not something that will damage equipment (I hope ).
I'll have about 4 copies leftover if anybody else is interested.
Posted By: AshBoomstick Re: Spiffnme Mix v2 - 05/04/05 11:20 PM
bray& bren -well he's actually ~4 yrs old, we got him from a lady that keeps beagle rescued from shelters. she lives in the 1820 plantation home (run down though) not far from home and she's got about 80 dogs there. mostly dogs that wouldnt hunt so they get dropped off at the pound, and she gets them outta there so they don't have to deal with the fun of Zyklon B. here's a Freddie (we had a Queen CD playing when we were trying to think of a name) of him chillin' in front of the 60's listening to Bren's mix. hey, that could be an new maketing angle for Axiom "No harsh highs so you can let sleeping dogs lie!" .... well maybe there's a reason i'm not in marketing...
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Spiffnme Mix v2 - 05/05/05 12:03 AM
That's a reallg great picture. Congrats on the dog. Dogs who won't hunt or fight are keepers, in my book.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Spiffnme Mix v2 - 05/05/05 01:03 PM
cool pic boomstick!!

bigjohn
© Axiom Message Boards