Axiom Home Page
Posted By: shaned Moving speakers - 06/08/05 12:59 AM
Hello. Has anyone ever put some kind of castors on their speakers? I was told that they should be as far from the wall as you can put them for better sound. After using them I put them back very close to the wall. They are pretty heavy. Has anyone tried screwing in a set of castors? Any other ideas?
Thanks!

Shane D
Posted By: bugbitten Re: Moving speakers - 06/08/05 01:04 AM
I've seen some subs on casters.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Moving speakers - 06/08/05 03:45 AM
If your just trying to find the correct position for best sound, I'm not sure I would want to permately attach casters, although it should not affect sound in any way. I agree speakers can be heavy and not fun to move around when trying to find the ideal locations. You could try moving buddies, or even a small piece of carpet. When moving furniture those two things come in very handy and are a blessing on the back
Posted By: rcvecc Re: Moving speakers - 06/08/05 05:18 AM
i think casters would give you sloppy contact with the floor,not sure if this would affect the sound,but it doesnt sound like the best idea..imo...ron
Posted By: bridgman Re: Moving speakers - 06/08/05 12:58 PM
Ooh, how about a sub on casters with wireless audio feed and a remote control. You could make the "sub crawl" a thing of the past.

Heck, next generation receivers could even move the sub around the floor to the optimal location as part of the auto-EQ
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Moving speakers - 06/08/05 01:40 PM
Just set your sub on the Roomba or IRobot vacume cleaner to substitute the crawl feature
Posted By: shaned Re: Moving speakers - 06/08/05 06:54 PM
It is not really sound positioning. It is a big room, but has a pool table in the middle. When not in use, I put the speakers VERY close to the back wall. When they are running, I pull them at least a foot away from the wall. I know when I bought them and about the rear porting. So, I just have have to live with moving them back and fourth. Not really a big deal, but I am looking at options.

Shane D
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: Moving speakers - 06/08/05 07:09 PM
I think I'd make a frame out of 2x4's (same dimensions as the base of your speakers) and attach the castors to them. I'd put marble on the top and stick the whole thing under the speakers. If I wasn't so lazy ...err busy; I'd do a diagram for you. A small wooden pull on the front of the frame would let you easily move the speakers.

Posted By: shaned Re: Moving speakers - 06/08/05 07:42 PM
Interesting idea. I also seem to always be "busy" :-) You may be on to something though. I have read some posts about speakers on platforms/stands. I actually wouldn't mind some more clearance over the pool table. Now if I could just actually get to it, I mean "clear my schedule".

Shane D
Posted By: warfer21 Re: Moving speakers - 06/15/05 05:22 AM
Sorry , I had to laugh.... under your hobbies it said lifting weights......
Posted By: neznarf Re: Moving speakers - 09/10/05 02:30 AM
www.ezmoves.com has nice sliders.
© Axiom Message Boards