Axiom Home Page
Posted By: allscott Pushed in woofers - 07/09/05 06:08 PM
One of my little angels (he's a troublemaker but he's cute) managed to push in a couple of the inner cones on the mids of one of my M80's. Couple questions;

Is there a trick that anyone knows of to make them pop back out?

Would this do any long term damage to them?

Thanks in advance
Posted By: INANE Re: Pushed in woofers - 07/09/05 06:23 PM
You could just leave em, or try the vacum cleaner method of pullin em back out.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Pushed in woofers - 07/09/05 08:29 PM
Dude that sucks, whenever my 6yr old or 11month old start heading at my m60's or 350, I start to sweat. I wonder if the sound would be slightly affected by your issue. Hope you figure out something, if you try the vacuum method, don't use a shop vac
Posted By: F107plus5 Re: Pushed in woofers - 07/09/05 08:47 PM
I used to have an associate who worked in forged iron and steels; used to make some pretty intricate designs.

Wonder if I could get him to produce some "Victorian Era" grille guards....Wonder what they'd do to the overall sound?

(My grandkids are heavy into "Light Sabers" and Ninja stuff) I've often wondered what I'd do if I found myself in a similar situation, and believe me! It's gotten pretty close to that!!
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: Pushed in woofers - 07/09/05 08:49 PM
My kids did it to one of my speakers once..........and only once but I got it back out using that blue sticky stuff that people use to hold pictures in place. Worked like a charm and didn't leave anything on the cone.
Posted By: Wid Re: Pushed in woofers - 07/09/05 09:36 PM

I have used scotch tape on the dust covers before.Works pretty good.The sound shouldn't be affected by having the covers pushed in.That's what you're talking about right ?
Posted By: curtis Re: Pushed in woofers - 07/10/05 06:48 PM
My kids will be 8 and 6 this summer....and I have had my speakers for over two years now. The kids still do not know the grills come off!
Posted By: F107plus5 Re: Pushed in woofers - 07/10/05 07:28 PM
One of my Grandkids found that an M3 grille(ONE TIME)worked well as a roof for a LEGO building project!!

Had to glue one corner back on with some hot glue, but no damage done-other than my nervous system!!

They've generally been kind to my speakers; they understand their importance, so far. Just wish I could get them to take their swords outside
Posted By: BruceH Re: Pushed in woofers - 07/21/05 08:10 PM
Fortunately for me when my wife and I recently bought our house (unfinshed basement), we agreed that the basement was mine and the upstairs was hers and that I could build a modest home theater (media) room. The best part is that the room will be locked. We are expecting in a couple of months and when they can start to walk, that's when the "trouble" begins.

I've heard from many people that tape works best for pulling out pushed in dust caps. It tends to be safer than the vacuum method as not all vacuums are created equal (previous post warning about shop vacs).
Posted By: winterpeg Re: Pushed in woofers - 07/22/05 02:57 AM
As scary as it sounds and as gentle as I could do it, I used the central vac. It was pretty quick when it happened but it's pretty much like new. It snapped out when I got to within about 1/2 inch from contact. My cat decided to use the grill as a climbing post to the basement window. The grill probably saved me from worse damage. Now I have stuff stacked on each speaker to keep the critter away.

Good luck, Troy
Posted By: BruceH Re: Pushed in woofers - 07/22/05 03:47 PM
Aha! Another Winnipegger. Good to see!
I think I tend to be a little too anal with my stereo equipment. I had a heck of a time trying to keep people from using my speakers as coasters when we had guests over. I now make sure that there are no chairs in reach of my speakers.

Glad to hear the central vac worked. Sounds like you need a motion sensor for the cat with a motorized spray gun. Maybe like a water gun version of what they used on Aliens (automatic tracking machine guns).
Posted By: INANE Re: Pushed in woofers - 07/22/05 06:44 PM
Ya I could (almost) care less what ppl do to the rest of my house... but when they enter my basement, they know to watch themselves.

Posted By: winterpeg Re: Pushed in woofers - 07/24/05 03:37 AM
There are a few residents from the peg on the site.
I might just buy into the tracking water jetgun, if such a system existed. I haven't had any problems lately but I think the DVD's and CD's on top of the speakers reduce the urge to use as a step up.
© Axiom Message Boards