Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Babalu Looking for a basic CD player - 08/16/05 04:46 PM
Currently as a CD player I am using a DVD player. Eventually I'd like to use that DVD player as, oh I don't know, a DVD player so I'm looking for a real CD player. All I want is a simple device(single disc is fine, used is fine) that has fast tracking and spins quietly. I tend to think in terms of D/A conversion that one player is as good as the next so let's not start that whole debate. Anyway so does anyone have any recommendations for a quiet, fast tracking player they've seen around that's relatively cheap, anyone willing to sell one in the Toronto area?

Oh and it doesn't need to play SACDs or have a digital out.
Posted By: Haoleb Re: Looking for a basic CD player - 08/17/05 02:42 AM
The NAD C541i is supposed to be a nice player. You can find them used for around $275
Posted By: JohnK Re: Looking for a basic CD player - 08/17/05 03:00 AM
B, since your DVD player has a dual laser that's optimized for reading both CDs(780nm wavelength)and DVDs(650nm), it certainly is a "real" CD player. If it isn't working well and you want a replacement, any of the CD/DVD players in the $100-$200 area, such as the Panasonic or Sony models, should be fine.
Posted By: Babalu Re: Looking for a basic CD player - 08/17/05 12:18 PM
Instead of using the word "real" I should have said dedicated, that's what I meant. The NAD looks good and pretty reasonable too. I was just hoping some one would have had some old Sony or something that I keep my eyes open for on ebay. I'm picky in that during those quiet moments in my music I hate when I can hear the CD spinning. I'm starting to think this was a stupid question and any old CD player would do fine.
Posted By: libirm Re: Looking for a basic CD player - 08/22/05 12:40 PM
I have a universal player Pioneer DV588AS that I use as a single player for all sorts of formats. pioneer
Very good price as well. I love it.
Posted By: Riffman Re: Looking for a basic CD player - 08/25/05 07:36 PM
Get a Yorx. Spend the rest on speakers. 14.1 is the way to go.
Posted By: F107plus5 Re: Looking for a basic CD player - 08/26/05 12:00 AM
14.1 huh? Hmmmmmm.......lets see. if I put six surround M3s on the fireplace mantle on one side and hung an opposing set on the other side hanging from the beam....

....the Wife would.....

But yeah...my dedicated CD player is an extra DVD player too
Posted By: Tarun Re: Looking for a basic CD player - 08/26/05 12:47 PM
Quite honestly.....go cheap on the cd side and buy more speaker. I agree with that....
I bought a HK FL8385 5 disc changer...it works great and it was all of $120 or so shipped from HK direct via their ebay store.

© Axiom Message Boards