Axiom Home Page
Posted By: intune Add a subwoofer to 2 channel listening? - 10/27/05 08:53 PM
I mainly listen to ordinary CDs (genre:classic rock), what happens when I add a subwoofer to my 2 channel setup? Will the sub produce any output?
(I have a HK AVR7200: surround sound setup for me is somewhere in the future)

And If a sub is recommended, can a 160 watt or 175 watt amp be adequate?
So far I am considering a 8 or 10 inch velodyne. I do not want overpowering sub-bass but I want it to be noticed. My listening volume is is midway (from 0 to 10 scale).

Thanks,

Intune

Posted By: RickF Re: Add a subwoofer to 2 channel listening? - 10/27/05 09:06 PM
I personally believe a sub woofer would be a very good asset to a two channel music only system. Adding a sub will enhance your super low frequencies and (to me) will make the music and vocals a little more full and rich, even at the reduced volume levels.

The size of the sub would probably depend mostly on your room size, I would imagine.
Posted By: Wid Re: Add a subwoofer to 2 channel listening? - 10/27/05 09:39 PM

I use a sub in my stereo set up.I defintely think a sub with a two channel set up is a good way to go.No matter what sub you get you should not get over powering bass once you have calibrated it to the rest of your system.I would go with as big and powerful of sub as you could comfortably afford.
Posted By: thyname Re: Add a subwoofer to 2 channel listening? - 10/27/05 10:48 PM
Do you guys think that a good HT sub, similar to the highly praised HSU VTF-3, is a good Stereo sub as well? I don't have a sub, and I have no idea whether people looking for a "stereo" sub, I mean to be used in a 2.1 system, look for different features than the ones found in a HT sub.
Posted By: Jinx Re: Add a subwoofer to 2 channel listening? - 10/27/05 10:59 PM
without a doubt, definitely, go get a SUB!!! and yes, the HSU is a very nice sub, but maybe overkill for 2 channel audio only. that being said, you certainly could keep it for when you go 5.1 or 7.1 or whatever you end up with. when i turned my sub off...the impact was just not there compared to with it on. i mean, the M60Ti's sound great, and do a decent job of bass, however, they just can not compete with a stand alone sub for bass management...depth, or quality
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Add a subwoofer to 2 channel listening? - 10/27/05 11:20 PM
The VTF-3 is indeed a lot of sub for music only listening, but it certainly is "musical" enough.

Depending on your room size, the VTF-2 may be better.

Posted By: thyname Re: Add a subwoofer to 2 channel listening? - 10/27/05 11:33 PM
I have also read that a sealed sub is better than a ported one for 2.1 music playback. Is that true?
Posted By: Wid Re: Add a subwoofer to 2 channel listening? - 10/27/05 11:41 PM

I have a STF-3 for my music only system and it's my opinion it lacks nothing for my type of music.
Posted By: bray Re: Add a subwoofer to 2 channel listening? - 10/28/05 01:17 AM
The VTF3 is a GREAT sub for the $$ and tunes alike.
When I'm listening to 2-channel stereo, it is sending the lows to the sub. My guess is that most of us here with one system and smaller front speakers do the same. Probably quite a few with larger fronts as well. A good sub, when blended well with your mains, really rounds out the sound and certainly does not detract. The HSU's have certainly received quite a bit of praise for both quality and bang/buck. My EP350 has been a nice performer as well. If you are thinking about an eventual 5.1 or 7.1 upgrade you should consider that while researching a sub. You can buy one now that will blend with your future system. As for overkill: A) Ain't such a thing as too much bass and B) Most subs have attenuators so you can dial them down. Let us know the size of your room and your future plans and you'll get plenty of input from the Axiomites.
Posted By: BruceH Re: Add a subwoofer to 2 channel listening? - 10/28/05 10:28 PM
In reply to:

I have also read that a sealed sub is better than a ported one for 2.1 music playback. Is that true?

I would state that it is too broad a statement to be true. You have to look at the frequency response and roll-off. Also, you have to look at the efficiencies. Mind you, most subs nowadays are powered and they should take that into consideration.

My subwoofer is ported and includes an accelerometer to monitor and control distorted output, thus yielding a very clean sound ideal for stereo listening. It is not an ideal sub for large home theaters as it is underpowered in that respect. However, at 250W, 18Hz-100Hz +0dB/-3dB with clipping protection and less than 0.5% distortion it serves my purposes well for music and moderate home theater levels.

I believe that companies can offer higher-power and smaller sized subwoofers in a sealed configuration over a ported box.

It really comes down to your "needs" and preferences.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Add a subwoofer to 2 channel listening? - 10/28/05 10:31 PM
I tend to think of sealed subs as more elegant. That said, I would trade my sealed sub for an EP500 in a heartbeat, had I the cash.
I listen to my 2-channel in 2.0, not 2.1. The M60's have good bass extension so they work quite well. The sub only kicks in in 5.1. I also listen to vinyl and prefer it to (most, not all) cd's, so what do I know.
© Axiom Message Boards