Axiom Home Page
Posted By: cgolf 2 channel receiver or amplifier?? - 03/08/06 03:20 AM
I want to boost my 2 channel music system. I know lots of discussion has been around this topic of 2 channel amp vs. separate stereo receiver but I can't find any of it. It's probably 50-50 which is the way to go. So having said all that--thoughts?? Is one better than the other-better, crisper sound, cheaper?? etc..
Posted By: Wid Re: 2 channel receiver or amplifier?? - 03/08/06 03:27 AM
Here is the most recent thread about the issue.
Posted By: JohnK Re: 2 channel receiver or amplifier?? - 03/08/06 03:34 AM
Charles, in the overwhelming majority of cases a receiver is the sensible, cost-effective purchase. There's no inherent magic in using two or three boxes instead of one and it'll generally cost more for the same results. As always, what's needed for transparent amplification is flat frequency response from 20-20KHz and inaudibly low noise and distortion. Although you haven't mentioned what you're considering(or exactly what you mean by "boost"), HK and others have stereo receivers which do this at quite low cost.
If you have the money go for the 2 channel amp. Not sure if there is anything magical about it, but it looks damn good. Here is an article Alan Lofft wrote pertaining to separates:
http://www.axiomaudio.com/tips_separates_electronics.html
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: 2 channel receiver or amplifier?? - 03/08/06 08:40 PM
cgolf

I've heard the Panasonic SAXR 25, a 5 (maybe 6?) channel digitally amplified receiver used for 2 channel music. It sounds great! These can be had for a few bucks over $100. Can't go wrong!
Posted By: RickF Re: 2 channel receiver or amplifier?? - 03/08/06 11:39 PM
From Axiom's own Mr. Alan Lofft regarding the separates/receivers dilemma ... Seperates?.

You could always get a Bose Wave radio because 1 watt is all you'll ever need.
Posted By: cgolf Re: 2 channel receiver or amplifier?? - 03/09/06 11:56 AM
Thanks for all the thoughts everyone. I had read Alan's article on separates right after posting this originally. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do. This is a very classic example of want vs. need!! I currently have a yamaha RXV657 @ 95wpc which does fine. I'm just looking for some more power with 2 channel music for the heck of it. I'm thinking Outlaw mono blocks, a bigger AV receiver or a 2 channel amp or none of the above. I'm also looking at a vintage Yamaha R2000 stereo receiver on ebay. Anyone ever own one of those-early 80's??
g
Posted By: pmbuko Re: 2 channel receiver or amplifier?? - 03/09/06 01:41 PM
In reply to:

This is a very classic example of want vs. need

Heck, this whole hobby is all about wants. Do what makes you happy.
Posted By: Ajax Re: 2 channel receiver or amplifier?? - 03/09/06 03:49 PM
Amen, Peter!
Posted By: bugbitten Re: 2 channel receiver or amplifier?? - 03/09/06 04:41 PM
In reply to:

I'm thinking Outlaw mono blocks, a bigger AV receiver or a 2 channel amp or none of the above.

The nice thing about Outlaw monoblocks is the 30-day trial. If they don't make any difference, send them back. You're out a minimum freight charge!

Kept mine!
Posted By: bugbitten Re: 2 channel receiver or amplifier?? - 03/09/06 04:43 PM
In reply to:

Heck, this whole hobby is all about wants.

Including what the significant other wants!
Posted By: cgolf Re: 2 channel receiver or amplifier?? - 03/10/06 10:36 AM
It's 4:30 am and I'm at an offsite strategic planning meeting for my company and I woke up surfing the net looking at amps, etc.. sheeesh!!!!

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with the emotiva mono blocks? They're about $75 less each than the Outlaws but I wonder about their performance. Same output.
Posted By: ratpack Re: 2 channel receiver or amplifier?? - 03/10/06 12:18 PM
I dare say that you are going to have a long, and maybe sleepy, day.

Good Luck.
Posted By: biggsly5000 Re: 2 channel receiver or amplifier?? - 03/10/06 05:24 PM
The only reason to get a seperate power amp in my opinion is for power. Most receivers are going to put out a nice safe amount of power perfectly suitable for most listeners needs. But I don't think most of the people here are "most listeners". If you have a pair of M80's for example which are 4ohm speakers and designed for high volume levels , they do sound better at higher volume levels with more power, especially the bass. I moved from about 200 watts to 600 watts and the biggest improvement was in the bass department. They will now pound out the bass much louder. I have a sub, but for 2 channel music I like to go full range with the M80's.

I don't see the point of buying a 2 channel amp that puts out 150 watts, when a Denon, HK, Yamaha all put out just as much with all the processing thrown in too, into 5 channels, many times for about the same money.
Posted By: richeydog Re: 2 channel receiver or amplifier?? - 03/10/06 07:10 PM
In reply to:

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with the emotiva mono blocks? They're about $75 less each than the Outlaws but I wonder about their performance. Same output.

Are you talking about this? BPA-1

If so, they are pretty brand new and don't have many reviews yet. You'll have to check the forum at AV123 for some insight.

The bpa-1 does seem to be versatile for many applications and can be bridged to output 150w(x)1. And they look cool too!
© Axiom Message Boards