Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Big_L If you HAD to upgrade from your Axiom's... - 09/08/02 12:56 AM
What would you get to upgrade from your Axiom's?
B&W, Paradigm, Martin Logan, Dynaudio or...
Just curious.

Posted By: BBIBH Re: If you HAD to upgrade from your Axiom's... - 09/08/02 01:16 AM
This is an interesting question. I would have to say that I would need to be sure my curent system badly outclassed my speakers before I would upgrade them first. I would first spend the money on the components and then on the speakers.

So on to the question: Of the brands I auditioned to replace the AX3's I had, I listened to many brands. Here is a brief list of what I consider to be some of the best I have ever heard (keep in mind that these also require excellent equipment in the systems):
- Castle - Totem - Reference 3a - Martin Logan - Proac - Von Schweikert - Vandersteen - Quad - JMLabs...to name a few.

When it comes down to it, the value of the purchase must be judged accordingly. Many of these mfg'ers make a wide range of speakers, some costing $10k ++.

My choice??? Reference 3a.

The opinions expressed above are solely those of myself...as if anyone else would want to claim them!!
Posted By: fhw Re: If you HAD to upgrade from your Axiom's... - 09/08/02 02:02 PM
Tough question...

Possibly Magnepan...though the speakers aren't that pricey per se, you need an absolute monster amp to power them.

MartinLogans are pretty awesome, though I haven't heard them with movies.

As far as I've heard, the B&W/Paradigms of the world are simply different from Axiom rather than better or worse (though they are more expensive).
Posted By: yage Re: If you HAD to upgrade from your Axiom's... - 09/12/02 02:48 AM
Funny question, 'cause I recently picked up a pair of Meadowlark Shearwater Hot Rods on the used market... great pair of speakers...

I hear their new design (the Swift) is quite good too.

I'd also be interested in a pair of Thiels or Merlins or one of JM Reynaud's offerings or...
I'd look into speakers from Adire, VMPS, GR Research, Linkwitz, ML, and Magnepan.
© Axiom Message Boards