Axiom Home Page
Posted By: ferguson630 Help, Want to Ordrer Tonight - 05/16/06 12:11 AM
I am ordering M60, VP150, EP350. Now the problem. I cannot physically get the QS8 in my current room so decided that I would order a pair of M3 for my rears.
Question should I go with M2 or M3 - will I notice.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Help, Want to Ordrer Tonight - 05/16/06 12:40 AM
I would go with M2s.

I've never heard them or the M3s, but supposedly the M2s would match the M60s better!
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Help, Want to Ordrer Tonight - 05/16/06 12:49 AM
I'm pretty much as ignorant as Mark.

The answer kind of depends on a couple things. Mostly, what you want (which seems like the M3's). Moreover, if it is your long-term intention to replace the M3 with QS8's surrounds at some point, I might lean in that direction since the "surplus" pair of M3's would make a fine full-range system in some other room. They are probably better by themselves than the M2 (i.e.without a sub).

However, Mark's right about the consensus that the M2 is a better tonal match for the M60. If you are going to listen to a lot of multi-channel music (SACD/DVDA), that might matter. Likewise, if you already have "placement problems", my feeling is that the M2 is going to "seem" a lot smaller than an M3. Also, if you intend to go to 7.1 some day, adding the QS8's and moving the M2's to the rear position might make more economic and spatial sense than the M3's. However, I don't really think you can go wrong in either case.

Personally, I'd get the M2's and use the extra coin to fracture my budget into an EP500.

Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Help, Want to Ordrer Tonight - 05/16/06 01:01 AM
In reply to:

I'm pretty much as ignorant as Mark.

Wow.

Feel the love!

Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Help, Want to Ordrer Tonight - 05/16/06 01:04 AM
We all need goals to strive for.

Thanks for setting the bar high, Mark.

Posted By: bugbitten Re: Help, Want to Ordrer Tonight - 05/16/06 01:14 AM
I don't understand the problem. M2, M3 and QS8 are about the same size. Do you only have shelves in the back?
Posted By: ferguson630 Re: Help, Want to Ordrer Tonight - 05/16/06 01:29 AM
I only have shelves in the back and cannot provide the free space above the 8;s. My intention is to renovate over the year, buy 8's and use the speakers to bring me up to 7.1.
Posted By: bugbitten Re: Help, Want to Ordrer Tonight - 05/16/06 02:54 AM
Can you mount the 8s to the front of a shelf?
Posted By: ferguson630 Re: Help, Want to Ordrer Tonight - 05/16/06 03:24 AM
No it is a custom built in computer desk with shelves and drawers. I hope to move everyting downstairs within a year to a new home threatre.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Help, Want to Ordrer Tonight - 05/16/06 03:29 AM
You say rears, I assume your meaning left/right surrounds? If so, you would normally want them to the left/right of the viewers approx. 20degrees in front or behind. For the rear channel (7.1) it is ok to use bookshelves for the rears, but I would go with Q's for the left/right as the experience would be much better.

You have no way to put some stands to the left/right side for Q's?
Posted By: ferguson630 Re: Help, Want to Ordrer Tonight - 05/16/06 05:16 AM
No would be in a walkway, I am hooped with the 8's so back to the orignial question M2 or M3. Concenses seems to be M2?
Posted By: JohnK Re: Help, Want to Ordrer Tonight - 05/16/06 05:40 AM
M2.
Posted By: kingaljr Re: Help, Want to Ordrer Tonight - 05/16/06 01:02 PM
I have the same setup as you and I use the M3's as surrounds but placed at the opposite end of the room from my M60's.Like you I have no place to put the QS speakers.It works great for me,I listen to music mostly,but movies sound great.My room is about 22 by 14.I wanted more of a full range surround and with the M3's sometimes I play my system in 4ch direct or just turn off the 60's and listen to the M3's by themselves for variety.
Posted By: bugbitten Re: Help, Want to Ordrer Tonight - 05/16/06 01:48 PM
I like the M3s for the same reason.
Posted By: keend0 Re: Help, Want to Ordrer Tonight - 05/16/06 05:26 PM
Might be a little pain in the a--, but you can buy a stand and move the QS's in place while watching movies and move it out of the way when not in use.

Just a thought.
Posted By: ferguson630 Re: Help, Want to Ordrer Tonight - 05/16/06 06:51 PM
Ok Just talked to Axiom and worked out how I can install Q8, if I put them angled down I have 6" clearance on one and 8" on the other. M60, VP150, QS8, EP350 – I am in heaven, now only if I did not have to wait. Patients is NOT a virtue I enjoy. Tks to everyone who have contributed to my stupid questions, you can find joy in knowing that I have spent more than my budget but how sweet it will be.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Help, Want to Ordrer Tonight - 05/16/06 07:07 PM
Bob, sounds like a great setup, I'm sure you will love em.
Posted By: bugbitten Re: Help, Want to Ordrer Tonight - 05/16/06 08:49 PM
You will like the way the 8s add to HT and music.
© Axiom Message Boards