Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Jordan Galaxy Audio SPL Meter (CM130)??? - 07/21/06 09:23 PM
Greetings,

I would very much like to buy a SPL meter. However, for whatever reason, they seem very difficult to come by in Winnipeg. So far, I have only been able to find the following model (Galaxy Audio CM130) at a price of $89.

http://www.galaxyaudio.com/galaxy/ProductsCM.html#Checkmate

Does anyone have any experience with this meter? The frequency range is from 125hrz-8khrz. Does this mean that it doesn't accurately measure above or below this range? That would be a major problem for HT measurment purposes.

I know that there was a thread previously dealing with where to find SPL meters in Canada but there didn't seem to be any definitive answer posted. Does anyone know where I can find one in Winnipeg?

Cheers,

Jordan
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Galaxy Audio SPL Meter (CM130)??? - 07/21/06 11:46 PM
Sounds like it doesn't measure at all outside that range. I'd say that that one is probably right out.
Posted By: alan Re: Galaxy Audio SPL Meter (CM130)??? - 07/24/06 05:23 PM
Hi Jordan,

Check out former Radio Shack stores (I forget what they are called in Canada now). They stocked both the analog and digital versions of the Radio Shack Sound Level Meter for years.

The Galaxy model you are looking at would not be appropriate. Whatever you get, it should have settings for A-weighting and C-weighting scales (use the C weighting for home theater measurements) and a much wider frequency range that covers the audio spectrum from 20 Hz to 20 kHz.
Posted By: el_giovato Re: Galaxy Audio SPL Meter (CM130)??? - 07/24/06 07:26 PM
Ebay is your friend. There are always several of the analogue and digital Radio Shack meters for sale. I won an auction last week for an analogue version: $30.50 delivered to my door in Northern Ontario.
Posted By: Jordan Re: Galaxy Audio SPL Meter (CM130)??? - 07/25/06 12:52 PM
Good morning,

Didn't the Source take over for Radio Shack? As far as I can tell, they are the source for shiny plastic junk for the most part. I called to see if they had SPL meters some time ago and they do not.

As suggested, I will have to go with Ebay from what it looks like. Such is life.

Cheers,

Jordan
Posted By: alan Re: Galaxy Audio SPL Meter (CM130)??? - 07/25/06 03:55 PM
Hi Jordan,

Yes, you're right--The Source. Well that's dispiriting news, to say the least. And with a name like "The Source," you'd think they'd have SPL meters, maybe not cartons of them, but at least one or two in stock.

Hope you find one on ebay.
© Axiom Message Boards