Axiom Home Page
Posted By: ChuckD Speaker location??? - 07/25/06 06:55 PM
I'm in a bit of a quandry as far as speaker placement is concerned. My room is 16'wide x 18' deep with a cathederal ceiling running from 10' at the listener side up to 26' on the wall where the main speakers will be. On top of that, one whole side of the room fully opened to a loft area. So, here's my question.

The only way I can configure the furniture would partially block M80's to the point where I can't actually see the bottom 1/4th (or so) of the speakers. The couches that partially block the "view" are about 3' from one speaker and 4' from the other. Does this make floor standing speakers a "no go" and limit me to bookshelves (which will be unobstructed) even though the room seems exceptionally large to me. BTW, the listening area is 12' from the mains. Thanks guys!!!
Posted By: Ajax Re: Speaker location??? - 07/25/06 09:27 PM
Hi Chuck.

Placing the speakers so they are partially blocked by furniture is less than optimal. HOWEVER! Most of us who do not have a room dedicated exclusively to music/HT find ourselves forced into making compromises.

The sofa is only a foot from the left speaker. I'm not the most discriminating listener, but I don't really notice a difference between the right and left speaker, though I suspect there is, probbly, a subtle one. I could be wrong, but with your furniture at least 3 feet from the speakers, even though the lower woofers will be visually blocked, I don't think your sound will be adversely affected to any significant degree.
Posted By: ChuckD Re: Speaker location??? - 07/26/06 06:45 PM
Thanks Jack, and especially for taking the time to post the picture of your setup. After beating my head against the wall for several days, and after losing a night's sleep, my wife suggested this morning that I might want to call a "consultant" since I know absolutely nothing about this (believe it or not ). So, I've got a CEDIA consultant coming by tomorrow to look over the room, etc.. It should be interesting and I'll post what he says. Thanks again!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Speaker location??? - 07/26/06 06:59 PM
I'd check your cabling, Jack. Looks like you're getting some bad video feedback.

Posted By: Ajax Re: Speaker location??? - 07/26/06 11:59 PM
Not possible! That thin silver piece of equipment on the bottom shelf of the equipment rack is a Behringer Feedback Destroyer.
Posted By: INANE Re: Speaker location??? - 07/27/06 03:32 AM
You totally stole my TV!... but mine's still here... wow how did you do that?!?

OK, OK totally lame attempt at a joke.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Speaker location??? - 07/27/06 12:49 PM
I'm sorry, but I'm the king of the lame joke attempts around here.

That's my old HLN4365 which recently went to that great TV home in the sky. There's a thread around here somewhere where I recently (within the past couple of days) posted a pic of my new HL-S5687. I'm still getting used to the change in size.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Speaker location??? - 07/27/06 01:42 PM
Chuck, do you have a way to post a picture or diagram of the room. I would not spend money on a consultant, this is not rocket science. We can help you. There are many websites like photobucket that is free, and you can post pics/diagrams, that is how we do it...
© Axiom Message Boards