Axiom Home Page
Posted By: VikingShips DVD databases - 08/05/06 10:54 PM
I was looking on the web for a "simple" DVD database program. It seems I have a nearly endless list of choices.
Anyone out there using such a program? Any likes or dislikes? What to look out for?
Thanks in advance for your input.
Posted By: LightninJoe Re: DVD databases - 08/06/06 12:19 AM
I guess I'm not entirely sure what you are referring to.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: DVD databases - 08/06/06 01:58 AM
Hi Martin, I'm assuming your referring to those websites you can keep track of your DVD collection online and review your movies?

I use DVDSpot and like it very much.
Posted By: VikingShips Re: DVD databases - 08/06/06 02:14 AM
Actually, I was thinking more of something to run on MY computer that I could keep track of what I have, what actors are in what movies, who directs what, when the movie was released, etc. Then have the capability to do reports on various items showing a list of movies starring Tom Cruise; or directed by a specific person; which movies I have that are recorded in DTS; and so on.

Some of the programs I found would also provide from internet databases the original DVD cover graphics, and even inside flyer info.

That sort of stuff....
Posted By: BassTek Re: DVD databases - 08/06/06 02:22 AM
I remember I had a program that was similar. It was stored locally and grabbed covers and stuff off the web, and had the option to upload to a website as well. For some reason I remembered them charging for it later on though. Wish I could recall the name as it was a good program.

Edit: Found the name, it's called DVD Profiler. There's a free version that looks rather dated and the option to by the fancy premium version for $29.99.
Posted By: CV Re: DVD databases - 08/06/06 02:26 AM
I don't recommend my way, since it's a lot of work, but I use MovableType to keep track of my DVD collection:

CV's DVD Collection

C.V.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: DVD databases - 08/06/06 03:13 AM
That is what DVDSpot and others like it does, only your info is on their DB. You can download the stuff you've entered in a variety of formats, like excel if you want. It is much easier for you to enter the UPC code on the DVD's you own, then their website has all the information about the actors, reviews, etc...
Posted By: VikingShips Re: DVD databases - 08/06/06 06:41 AM
Thanks for all your comments.
I kind of like the CATVids program. (It's done my some Norweigians -- like me...) Very flexible and comprehensive. I haven't tried DVDspot yet to see what it does.
© Axiom Message Boards