- Denon 3805
- NAD C272 amp used for front channels
- Denon 2910 & Cambridge DVD89 as transports
- NHT SB3s (front)
- Energy RC-LCR (center)
- Energy RC10s (sides)
- Energy C-R3s (rears)
- Axiom EP-500 (sub)

I have a second 5.1 setup that has Energy C-5s (front), NHT Supercenter (center), NHT SuperOnes (rear), and a custom passive 10" sub all driven by a Sony ES system. For some odd reason this all 'blends' together superbly and sounds really fine.

I have 2 Panny 50" plasmas (one for each system).

The dilemma: On the 7.1 system I listen to music more than video. Mostly stereo, some SACD/DVD-A. I find the SB3s a little weak for this and want to replace them. Here are my (affordable) options.

1. Make a (almost) full 7.1 Energy system by purchasing RC-70s and selling the SB3s. Keep the EP-500 in all of the options (of course!).
2. I have a chance to buy demo Aerial 6 speakers for the same price as the RC-70s. But will this 'imbalance' the system (e.g. not well blended) for SACD/DVD-A listening?
3. I could buy NHT Classic-4s, put the SB3s at the sides the Supercenter at the center and SuperOnes at the rear. This would make an 'all NHT' 7.1 system. I would then move the RC-LCR and RC-10s up to the 5.1 system (for an 'all Energy' system) and sell the C-R3s. In balance/ blend?
4. To h*** with it! I could buy M80s, a VP150, and 2 sets of M3s for the 7.1 (making an 'all Axiom' system) and move the Energy equipment to the 5.1. Sell all the NHT stuff and the Energy C-R3s. But frankly selling is a real pain... and would this sound as good/better for stereo (in the 7.1 system) as the other options.
Too many choices. Only one XMas bonus to spend...
Help!
If everything sounds superb to you, I would use the Christmas bonus for music and movies. Just my 2 cents.
Ah, but I feel the SB3s on the 7.1 system are lacking... The other system sits upstairs in the family room off the kitchen. My wife uses it a lot for TV & movies and I use it for listening when I'm cooking. My 'main' system with the SB3s is in another room and used primarily for music (and movies that my wife can't stand)...
I would strongly recommend not using M3s for your surround speakers, at least not all of them. The QS8s are really very, very good.

Edit:
OK, that came out kind of wrong. The M3s are great speakers for general purpose use, stereo listening, etc, but the QS8s are fantastic surround speakers.
© Axiom Message Boards