Axiom Home Page
Posted By: JPM EP500 within entertainment unit - 01/30/07 08:10 PM
I am looking to place an EP500 within an entertainment unit any suggestions?

Is it okay to place one within an entertainment unit, or is it really inadvisable!

I would like to know how much "air space" is required around the sub!

THX,

JP
Posted By: Hutzal Re: EP500 within entertainment unit - 01/30/07 08:24 PM
>>or is it really inadvisable!>>

I believe in the EP500 manual it states not to put it in an enclosed area.
Posted By: jakewash Re: EP500 within entertainment unit - 01/30/07 08:48 PM
Here is the owner's manual. It does state to not put it into an enclosed area.
Posted By: Hutzal Re: EP500 within entertainment unit - 01/30/07 09:03 PM
Quote:

Here is the owner's manual. It does state to not put it into an enclosed area.

I knew it! I read it right before I put the manual under my pillo...I mean, after I read it in the kitchen over dinner last night.
Posted By: JPM Re: EP500 within entertainment unit - 01/30/07 10:43 PM
thanks for the reply.

That kinda fubars my plans!

Maybe I need to look into another sub!
Posted By: snakeyes Re: EP500 within entertainment unit - 01/30/07 11:12 PM
well in my old house had a denon HTIB and used to keep the sub in the unit and move it out when viewing. I know the Ep500 is a beast a prob not as easy to move but may be an option for you.
Jake
Posted By: SirQuack Re: EP500 within entertainment unit - 01/31/07 03:01 AM
so your saying you don't have a corner somewhere or other wall location you could place the sub? Besides, if you did place it in the entertainment center, it would most likely fall apart from the vibration.

It is not really a great idea to place any sub, or speakers with ports in an enclosed area, unless you don't mind reducing performance.
Posted By: PaulM Re: EP500 within entertainment unit - 01/31/07 05:46 AM
JPM
If space for placing a sub in your room is a real issue for you and your room isn't too large, Axiom will soon (a couple months) be coming out with a very small (in size) sub called the EP400.

The spec are:
Enclosure: Bass Reflex
Max Amp Power: 500 Watts
Cross-over Adjust: 40 - 150
Phase: 0 & 180
Woofer Size: 8"
DSP Controlled
Line In and Out
Balanced Line In and Out
High Level In
Room Trim
Dynamic Power Supply
Anechoic Resp. +/- 1.5dB: 28-150
Anechoic Resp. +/- 3dB: 25-150
Room Resp. + 3dB/- 9dB: 23-150
Max SPL Anechoic: 106 dB
Max SPL In Room: 116 dB
Dimensions HWD inches : 13.75 x 16.8x10.5
Weight (lbs) each: 48.55 lbs

Paul
Posted By: BrenR Re: EP500 within entertainment unit - 01/31/07 06:08 AM
Quote:

Axiom will soon (a couple months) be coming out with a very small (in size) sub called the EP400.

First rule of Axiom club - do not talk about Axiom club!

Bren R.
Posted By: PaulM Re: EP500 within entertainment unit - 01/31/07 01:28 PM
Hmm, I wondered about that but then got to thinking a thread devoted entirely to the sub had been started and Ian himself had chimed in (albiet the spec.s weren't referenced).

Paul
Posted By: alan Re: EP500 within entertainment unit - 01/31/07 03:01 PM
Hi JPM,

Any subwoofer, not just Axiom's, interacts with the specific dimensions of your room, its boundaries (the walls and floor) and the seating area and its location in your room. Those factors will determine how much bass you hear, and how smooth and deep the bass will be.

So you have to experiment with a sub's placement. Generally speaking (as others here have noted), it's really unwise to put any speaker, with or without ports, into an enclosure. Bass frequencies are largely omnidirectional, which means that they radiate in waves outwards from the speaker in every direction. Imagine throwing a stone into the center of a pond-- the waves radiate outwards in concentric circles from the point the stone hit the water--that's exactly how bass energy is dissipated from a subwoofer.

That's why you don't want to pre-determine a spot in your room for a sub, especially inside some type of enclosure.

Regards,
Posted By: BrenR Re: EP500 within entertainment unit - 02/01/07 06:01 AM
Quote:

Hmm, I wondered about that but then got to thinking a thread devoted entirely to the sub had been started and Ian himself had chimed in (albiet the spec.s weren't referenced).

*laughs* I was kidding.

Bren R.
Posted By: JPM Re: EP500 within entertainment unit - 02/01/07 07:04 PM
Thanks for all the replies!

I still have a few questions though!

First I will give a description of where the sub will be placed. The area is 20' x 25' x 8', this is why I am interested in the EP500

"Usable" area is a premium and this is the reason why I am asking if it can be place in an entertainment unit.

If a sub EQ is used, does placement matter as much?

I read through the manual and it doesn't state that the Sub cannot be placed with in an enclosure. Here's what's marked in the online manual:
Cautions:
7. Do not block any ventilation openings. Install in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.
Precautions:
5. Heat/Ventilation - Slots and openings in the cabinet are provided for ventilation and to ensure reliable operation of the product to protect it from overheating. These openings must not be blocked or covered. This product should not be placed in a built-in installation such as a bookcase or rack unless proper ventilation is provided or the manufacturer’s instructions have been adhered to. The product should be situated away from heat sources such as radiators, heat registers, stoves or other products (including amplifiers) that produce heat.
Posted By: JPM Re: EP500 within entertainment unit - 02/01/07 07:07 PM
Oops forgot tho mention one more thing.

The entertainment unit would have an open front for the sub and its port.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: EP500 within entertainment unit - 02/01/07 07:28 PM
If you read Alan's response, that explains why you don't want to place a sub in an enclosed area. Lowwwww frequencies, say 80hz and below, are omnidirectional. They radiate in all directions not just forwards. Also, the sub is affected by room characteristics, room size, furnishings, etc. Placing it in an enclosed area will defeat the purpose of having a sub.

Can it be done, yes. Is it wise, no.

I still don't see with that size of room, why you can't find some location along a wall, behind a chair, etc. to place the sub. It does not have that big of a footprint.
Posted By: PaulM Re: EP500 within entertainment unit - 02/02/07 07:02 AM
Yeah, I'm a little slow at 06:30 in the morning.
Posted By: mrnomas Re: EP500 within entertainment unit - 02/02/07 03:27 PM
Quote:

If a sub EQ is used, does placement matter as much?

It's extremely difficult to properly EQ a sub in an enclosure. The sub interacts with the enclosure and the room both. So, as you EQ, you may correct for the enclosure but mess up for the room or vise versa. Basically, you're going to end up with WAY too much EQ with results that may be... disappointing.
© Axiom Message Boards