Axiom Home Page
Posted By: cornell m22 and speaker stands - 02/21/07 10:13 PM
I currently have an old pair of stands I'm using with the 22's. I'm curious as to the experiences of other m22 users with different types of stands and how it has affected the sound of the speakers. I'm leaning to building a pair of wooden stands and filling in the post with sand.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: m22 and speaker stands - 02/23/07 04:42 PM
One of the main benefits of stands is that you can elevate the speaker so the tweeter is closer to ear level, which will give you a better soundstage similar to a floorstanding speaker. If you have a center speaker, it is wise to do the same.
Posted By: Hutzal Re: m22 and speaker stands - 02/23/07 04:52 PM
If you are refering to the speaker stands where they have PVC pipe for the post, I have read reviews that filling it up with sand does help the bass have a cleaner output. This could all be in the head, but its worth a try. I am currently in the process of building the stands with PVC in the middle, I am forgoing the sand, I just simply don't care to fill it up with sand...

-Hutz
Posted By: ctown Re: m22 and speaker stands - 02/23/07 07:48 PM
Hutzal, did you check out Soundsaround for stands? I just was in there and they had a pair of metal stands that were about 20" high with square bottom plate and top plate for $80 a pair.

I think that is what I'm gonna put my M22's on when they arrive.
Posted By: Jim_Perkins Re: m22 and speaker stands - 02/23/07 07:58 PM
It may be a bit wierd, but I have my M22's on the floor.
When I am sitting on the couch, the tweeters are not that much below my ear level. I have my center under the tv, so the tweeters on all 3 front speakers are about the same height.

It also has the effect of making the M22's more forgiving of bad recordings, it warms them up a little.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: m22 and speaker stands - 02/24/07 12:50 AM
Randy, have you tried putting the little rubber stoppers under the front of the speakers so they angle up toward your ears? It may be something to try. Might get a tad more bass with floor reinforcement.
Posted By: Jim_Perkins Re: m22 and speaker stands - 02/24/07 03:57 AM

thanks for the suggestion. I will have to give that a go.
Posted By: JohnK Re: m22 and speaker stands - 02/24/07 04:02 AM
Randy, there's nothing wrong with putting a "bookshelf" speaker on the floor. As Sean suggested, you might try using wedges to tilt the speakers slightly upward so that the tweeters point at your ears(which accomplishes much the same thing as having the speakers raised to ear-level).
Posted By: jakewash Re: m22 and speaker stands - 02/24/07 10:04 AM
Randy, I found once I isolated the M22's with the rubber feet, 2 larger in rear and 2 smaller in front for my elevated speaker position on my fireplace shelf, the bass really kicked in. The shelving was absorbing more than you would think.
Posted By: Jim_Perkins Re: m22 and speaker stands - 02/25/07 11:34 PM
Quote:

you might try using wedges to tilt the speakers slightly upward so that the tweeters point at your ears.

I propped up the front of my m22's , and turned my VP100 over,(angled side down to have it point upwards). and it did improve the clarity. thanks for the idea.
© Axiom Message Boards