Axiom Home Page
Posted By: gsxr750 M80 rocks - 03/23/07 04:51 AM
Hello Folks

After spend many days and nights researching forums and review, I finally ordered and received my new M80/VP150/QS8 speakers. In the beginning, I had it hooked up to my Kenwood VR6070 and the sound coming out of these speakers was acceptable but not the wow I was hoping to hear. I kind of expected that knowing that my receiver is not rating to handle the 4 ohms that the M80s required. I went out and purchased a new Denon 2807 for $1200 to run these speakers. The result was night and day. The sound I am getting is definitely much fuller and more detailed when playing NJs Come Away with Me. At this point, I was quite satisfied with this setup until I saw a used Aragon 8002 amp on the market for $675 and I immediately jump on it. Let me tell you, without the amp the system rocks, but with amp, the system is absolutely mesmerizing. The soundstage is more 3 dimensional and each instrument are much more discrete, the base is much more focus and even at over 100db the sound coming out of these speakers still sounds effortless. As a final word, after spending just over 5K, I can truly say that I have an audiophile grade system that I am proud to own.

As a side note, I bi-wired the M80S with 2 pairs of Audioquest’s indigo cables and does notice the result to be slightly more pleasing and natural sounding.

Peter
Posted By: PeterChenoweth Re: M80 rocks - 03/23/07 01:35 PM
Nice bike. I ride a Suzuki M50 myself.

Welcome to the M80 + Amp club. I noticed a similar improvement when going from my Pioneer Elite receiver to my LPA-1. That fade-into-the-background, supra-stereo imaging (sounds seemingly coming from beyond the L/R speakers), and overall depth of the soundstage improved.

Nice cables too, though I'm too cheap to spring for anything AudioQuest so I'll just 'make due' with my Canare 4S11's.

I'm sure someone will be along soon to point out that cables and amps make no difference what-so-ever to sound quality and this thread will fall apart.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: M80 rocks - 03/23/07 02:26 PM
Or maybe us M60 owners will hijack this thread like the M80 owners hijacked our M60 thread

Seriously though, glad to hear that things are working out even better.
Posted By: medic8r Re: M80 rocks - 03/23/07 02:37 PM
Welcome the the big leagues!

I'm also happy with my M80s. Mine are powered by Outlaw (990/7125). I only wish I had the chance to crank 'em more often.

Enjoy!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: M80 rocks - 03/24/07 08:29 PM
Just teach you son to accidentally turn it up all the way.
Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: M80 rocks - 03/25/07 03:24 AM
Quote:

Or maybe us M60 owners will hijack this thread like the M80 owners hijacked our M60 thread

M22's are better.

The more 6.5" woofers you have, the more harmonized randomized cyclical wave distortion you get. It's a known fact.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: M80 rocks - 03/25/07 05:21 AM
You just keep telling yourself that... You couldn't fit M80s in that room anyway.
Posted By: CosmicVoyager Re: M80 rocks - 03/25/07 06:14 AM
Quote:

You just keep telling yourself that... You couldn't fit M80s in that room anyway.

Nothing wrong with the M22's. Love the M80's too.
Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: M80 rocks - 03/25/07 05:47 PM
Quote:

I'm sure if I had them I could make accommodations :-)
© Axiom Message Boards