Axiom Home Page
Posted By: SirQuack Advice on re-construction options. - 06/07/07 07:43 PM
Well as most of you know my Odyssey monos arrived and I could not be more happy with their power and performance.

The issue is the free space in my AV rack was only about 10-12" high, so the best I could do was stack them with about 3" of space on top of each amp. There is not much ventilation on the sides at all.

Since they are a class A A/B amp, they are in A mode at idle and do generate some heat. When outside the rack the surface is only barely warm, however, once I stack them in the limited space they warm up a lot more, and are almost hot to the touch, especially the top one as it is receiving some of the heat from the bottom one.

I have taken a picture below with the front plates removed so you can see the space around them. Here are the options that I'm considering.

1) Don't put the amps in the AV opening and just set them in the back closet on seperate shelfs. However, I kinda like to look at them and if they are out of sight I'm not sure I'll like that...
2) I could expand the opening in my wall by going higher and cutting into the drywall. This would require some longer oak trim. Also, I would have to rebuild the AV/shelving unit with some other material besides wood, maybe something with better side ventilation.

If I do option 2) is there something you guys would recommend besides using wood that I can add shelves to in that opening...?

Not sure I have any other options.....

Posted By: Hutzal Re: Advice on re-construction options. - 06/07/07 08:45 PM
I think cutting out the ceiling of your rack could work very well. You don't even need more shelves, cut out the ceiling, stick one of the amps at the top and let it vent into the open space (not sure what is above your rack in the wall)

This way you can keep everything as is, but you'll just have a hole at the top of your rack that no one will see. This will allow you to have 6" above the bottom mono because your top amp will be right against the ceiling of the rack venting into the open space?

just a thought.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Advice on re-construction options. - 06/07/07 09:07 PM
The rack is an old audio rack I built for myself back in my college days. It was built out of solid oak wood and had 4 shelves.

It worked out nice as I was able to place it between the studs in the wall and secure it.

Below is an OLD picture from the backside in the closet. I'm thinking my best bet might be to just cut the drywall on the top side higher and build a new rack, maybe with a different material?

The back panel on the AV cabinet was removed as shown in the lower picture..

Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Advice on re-construction options. - 06/07/07 09:16 PM
Fascinating problem.

To my amateur eye, the amount of clearance seems adequate.

If it was me, before ripping out sheetrock and doing more finish carpentry, I'd probably try to increase the ventilation by taking a hole-saw to the cabinet sides and possibly putting a couple quiet PC fans in there. Or you could even just try the fans at the back of the cabinet to see if MOVING the air in the existing clearance solves the problem.

Getting more clearance around the amps is going to be a PITA, and may or may not solve your problem if they're still "in a box".
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Advice on re-construction options. - 06/07/07 09:24 PM
Thanks Tom,

These Khartago cases have vent holes on top/bottom to help disapate the heat from the amp heat sinks. For the most part the heat travels upward.

I've thought about cutting some side holes as well. Below is a link another guy gave me for his Odyssey amps that just sit on top of the amp and kick in only if the temp goes over a certain point and turn off below a certain point. They may be an option as well.

I was thinking if I added some more room on the top by cutting out the drywall, I could move everything else up, or rearrange the components to put the amps near the top with more space above them.

When will the madness end? I think JohnK and TomT need to come to Iowa and cast out these demons in my basement that keep causing me problems. Then maybe we could head over to the "Field of Dreams" or even go have a beer somewhere.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Advice on re-construction options. - 06/07/07 09:29 PM
So if I'm looking at your pictures correctly, are the amps in the part of the rack without the back cut out?
Posted By: dllewel Re: Advice on re-construction options. - 06/07/07 09:59 PM
Ken, it looks like that to me as well.

Randy, I would have thought you have plenty of room for ventilation already, since you have both the front and the back of the rack open.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Advice on re-construction options. - 06/07/07 10:25 PM
No Ken, if you look at my last statement above by my pictures, I removed that back panel long ago. It was there when I originally built the cabinet in college.

Dave, heat rises and these class A A/B amps use heatsinks on the sides. There are ventilation holes on the top/bottom of each amp.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Advice on re-construction options. - 06/07/07 10:31 PM
This is a really nasty problem.

Have you thought of mounting them vertically?

One thing is for sure. You need to nip this in the bud or you will cut their life in half or maybe less.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Advice on re-construction options. - 06/07/07 10:32 PM
Yup, between calibrating my sub location and this latest issue, I'm beginning to wonder if I need to quit this hobby.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Advice on re-construction options. - 06/07/07 10:44 PM
"Will cast out audio demons for beer"

I still think some sort of a shroud on the back of the rack with a 120mm fan for each of the amps would be cheap, easy and effective.

Have you considered ventilating the shelves? Maybe if you move the amps to the top, and vent ALL the shelves AND put a fan in the top of the rack for exhaust?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Advice on re-construction options. - 06/07/07 11:21 PM
Reading comprehension: always my strong point...

How heavy are those things?
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Advice on re-construction options. - 06/07/07 11:21 PM
I forgot to post a link that another guy on audiocircle used for his amps. Tom the only think about more fans that I worry about is my HTPC fan can sometimes be a little loud, so if I add more like the ones in the link I'm worried it will distract people...

http://www.middleatlantic.com/rackac/cooling/qcool.htm#compcool
Posted By: Wid Re: Advice on re-construction options. - 06/08/07 12:45 AM
You could get a couple of amp stands, or make them, and put each amp next to the corresponding speaker. This will take care of the ventilation problem and would look really good too.
Posted By: duckman Re: Advice on re-construction options. - 06/08/07 12:48 AM
If I had your room, I'd do whatever it takes to install this and be done. Of course I tend to get carried away sometimes.
Posted By: RickF Re: Advice on re-construction options. - 06/08/07 12:51 AM
That's a great suggestion, Rick ... I personally believe this arrangement will look very classy and be functional to boot.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Advice on re-construction options. - 06/08/07 01:01 AM
You know what is funny IL Rick, that thought had crossed my mind. I would have to run a cable from the preouts on my AVR to each amp, which I don't have routed through the stage right now. However, the speaker wires would be much shorter.

The only problem I see is that sometimes I have a hard time keeping the kids off the stage. This would give them one more thing to try to play with, in addition to my Axioms...

Good thoughts guys...
Posted By: Wid Re: Advice on re-construction options. - 06/08/07 01:26 AM
Quote:

The only problem I see is that sometimes I have a hard time keeping the kids off the stage. This would give them one more thing to try to play with, in addition to my Axioms...

They would just have to learn not to touch them, not to hard I would think.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Advice on re-construction options. - 06/08/07 01:30 AM
Quote:

Quote:

They would just have to learn not to touch them, not to hard I would think.

ummm.....you don't have kids do you......
Posted By: bridgman Re: Advice on re-construction options. - 06/08/07 01:48 AM
>>If I had your room, I'd do whatever it takes to install this and be done

Isn't that Dennis (Tharkun)'s room ?

Randy, I don't remember the exact layout but my first thought would be to build two nice shelves coming out from the wall maybe 4 or 5 feet in the air, and put the amps on display. Forget about getting the cooling to your amps -- take the amps to the cooling.

Failing that :

1. If you have not already done so, get a hole saw and punch some holes in the shelves supporting the amps. Concentrate the holes under the heatsinks, of course.

2. Not sure if your back plate was right against the backs of the shelves or several inches away, but think about making a chimney at the back running from the top of the upper amp to the top of the rack, with a big hole at the top.

3. My guess is that the cooling air flows from the "closet" area behind the amps, and back into that closet again. Think about having air flow from the main room into the rack, and back out again at the top.

4. As a last resort, immerse the whole rack in mineral oil.

The first three are serious.
Posted By: Wid Re: Advice on re-construction options. - 06/08/07 01:55 AM
I have two young adults now. When they were small they were taught what not to touch. They have had stereo equipment around them all their lives.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Advice on re-construction options. - 06/08/07 02:27 AM
Randy, if seeing just one would be adequate visual gratification, leave one in the rack and put the other in the closet(if the demons are gone). Don't worry about the difference in the length of the runs.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Advice on re-construction options. - 06/08/07 03:08 AM
That is not a bad idea JohnK and it did cross my mind. Now I'm thinking if I'm going to do that I could have gone with the larger Stratos cases that have the heat sinks on the external sides, however, they are more expensive...
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Advice on re-construction options. - 06/08/07 03:17 AM
John B,

Thanks for the ideas. I really built the AV closet and opening to have a nice look from the main room. I suppose I could build some shelves above, but then I'd have some equipment in the finished rack, and some outside. I'll give that some thought and maybe consult the Wife.

1) I suppose this option might help with air flow circulation a little. The heat seems to be rising, not going down so the heat would not be escaping out these bottom holes much.

2) There is no back plate, it is wide open on the backside just like the front. This is how I access all the connections from within the closet. I forgot you have dial-up and probably don't load the pictures above that show from both sides.

3) Again, there is not front glass door or anything on the front it is open, and also open on the back closet side, so there is already air flow between the main room and closet. Just think about cutting a hole in your wall into a large walk-in closet, build a wood frame with shelves to sit in this opening, and then trim out the drywall with oak trim, and that is what I have.

4) I am currently submerging the entire basement with mineral oil to cast out these demons that JohnK keeps sending my way.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Advice on re-construction options. - 06/08/07 10:40 AM
Randy:
I'm coming into this late, but can't you mount a fan in the closet and put it on a switch next to your rack?

A large fan running at a slow speed will move as much air as a small fan at a high speed, yet be virtually silent. If necessary, you can change the voltage to it (I don't remember how at the moment) to run it "slower than low".

I think moving some air in there, even gently, would likely do the trick. Blow the air from the back out through the front of the rack, and you'll help heat your basement in the winter!

My general thought is that a well designed amp chassis wouldn't need much more than a little help in moving the air a bit; the heat sinks would take care of the rest as long as the air is moving.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Advice on re-construction options. - 06/08/07 11:16 AM
>>I suppose this option might help with air flow circulation a little. The heat seems to be rising, not going down so the heat would not be escaping out these bottom holes much.

Understood. The holes are to let air flow in, not out, although of course the holes in the upper shelf will let air flow up from the bottom amp into the upper amp area.

The whole trick with fanless airflow is to minimize resistance and maximize chimney effect. You have a tiny amount of force -- the warm air is just a bit less dense than the surrounding air so moves up a bit -- working against the resistance of all the twists and turns the air has to flow through/round in order to get in or out. The system reaches equilibrium when the air is hot enough to flow enough through the resistance you have provided. If the resistance is high it can take a pretty high temperature to cause enough airflow.

If you want the equilibrium point to be less hot, you need less resistance (let the air flow in more of a straight line, don't ask it to turn corners, don't ask it to flow horizontally or down) or you need more force (use a chimney so you you benefit from the density difference over more time) or you need to start with cooler air. It's that simple.

Mark's idea of a big slow fan is good. The best would be to have the fan blow out (perhaps through a duct) into your room from above the rack so that cooler air would be sucked into the rack opening. You could even do one of those big fans you see for "mood" in so many movies. Whoop, whoop, whoop...
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Advice on re-construction options. - 06/08/07 02:02 PM
Howzabout a BigAssFan?
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Advice on re-construction options. - 06/08/07 02:09 PM
You guys sure are giving me some ideas, thanks a bunch, my head is spinning. Here is an old pic to remind you what the entire closet looks like. I basically built it to give my screen the appearance it was set back in the room. The only air flow comes from the AV opening and the door which is normally closed...in this pic the door opening is out of the picture but just to the right of the door waiting to be installed...

Posted By: WhatFurrer Re: Advice on re-construction options. - 06/08/07 03:02 PM
Randy,

Another idea...

Old technology but it probably would help.

Is the door going to the closet solid?

If so, you could possibly cut a hole in the door and put a grate over the hole
like they used to do on older houses for the return air for the AC. Or find a louvered door to replace the one that is on the closet.

Would help to facilitate the air flow from the front through the rack out the back and out the door...

Another option may be to put a return air duct in the closet (if there is not one already)...it would accomplish the same thing...pull air from the theatre through the rack out the ceiling of the closet...

I believe they also make smaller exhaust fans that could be mounted in the ceiling of the closet away from the rack that you could control with the amps turn on function...it would vent it into the crawlspace or redirect it outside similar to the flatulence vent in your bathroom...

Just my .02.

WhatFurrer
Posted By: jakewash Re: Advice on re-construction options. - 06/08/07 09:49 PM
Quote:

I have two young adults now. When they were small they were taught what not to touch. They have had stereo equipment around them all their lives.

And they never ever touched anything nor played anywhere near your equipment? Must have been nice, my kids have been good but I did make the mistake of leaving the grills off my M22's when my oldest was about 3 and he wanted to see what the round shiny things were and poked one driver, I guess once he found out it was solid he decided to see how hard it was and poked it with a stick, so he said. I now have one driver with a very small ding in the aluminum.

As I have said before my HT room is also the boy's play room in the basement so they do get to go down there for some unsupervised time, at least for a few minutes, and that was all it took. On the bright side my boys have never touched them since, as my oldest would stop his younger brother from touching them and few arguments between them have ensued.
Posted By: Wid Re: Advice on re-construction options. - 06/08/07 10:01 PM
I never said they never touched anything, you read what you want into what I post. I said they were taught what not to touch. As a matter of fact I taught them at a very early age how to operate the equipment. They were brought up to respect what wasn't theirs.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Advice on re-construction options. - 06/09/07 12:17 AM
Good for you, Rick! When I was young, my Father used to say to me "ask yourself one question 'is it mine'? If the answer is no, then keep your hands off it." A concept worth learning and teaching.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Advice on re-construction options. - 06/09/07 12:23 AM
And I am just saying kids will be kids and accidents happen. But to have an Amp on a stand and a child trips/stumbles into it and to have it fall to the ground would be a little hard to take. Again just an accident, the child never meant to touch it, but accidents happen. As good as kids can be, they still stumble and trip over their own feet; that was more or less what I was thinking when writing my original comment, didn't mean to offend. Must remember to finish my thoughts more when writing especially replying.

My kids also respect their/my stuff, but as I pointed out, an innocent inquiry and I now have a minor blemish. I actually blame myself for the ding, as I should have shown him what they were and told not to touch them after I took the grills off(like you said you did). He never showed any interest in the speakers (they are on a shelf/mantle over my fireplace about 4' off the ground) before and it never occurred to me that he might actually be interested in them with the grills off, totally my fault.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Advice on re-construction options. - 06/09/07 01:18 AM
>>Another option may be to put a return air duct in the closet (if there is not one already)...it would accomplish the same thing...pull air from the theatre through the rack out the ceiling of the closet...

Good ideas there. I'm thinking a return air grill going through the closet wall, above the rack maybe a foot below the ceiling. That would let warm air back into the room and encourage circulating air.

I would still punch holes in the amp shelves no matter what else you do. Don't punch so many holes the shelves break and dump your precious precious amps on the floor, of course.
Posted By: RickF Re: Advice on re-construction options. - 06/09/07 01:22 AM
Randy, try this....

You'll be surprised with the results .... if you put *your* mind to it.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Advice on re-construction options. - 06/09/07 03:00 AM
I gave up on trying to figure this issue out for tonight, but have been spending my time trying to find a better placement for my ep600 to get a better performance, I've verrry tired and about had it..there has to be an easier way.
Posted By: grunt Re: Advice on re-construction options. - 06/09/07 05:53 AM
Quote:

If it was me, before ripping out sheetrock and doing more finish carpentry, I'd probably try to increase the ventilation by taking a hole-saw to the cabinet sides and possibly putting a couple quiet PC fans in there. Or you could even just try the fans at the back of the cabinet to see if MOVING the air in the existing clearance solves the problem.

Getting more clearance around the amps is going to be a PITA, and may or may not solve your problem if they're still "in a box".

I second Tom’s idea of quite computer fans. The 25cm fan in my HTPC case is dead quite.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Advice on re-construction options. - 06/09/07 06:05 AM
25 cm?! I've never seen a computer fan bigger that 135mm!
Posted By: grunt Re: Advice on re-construction options. - 06/09/07 06:15 AM
Quote:

25 cm?! I've never seen a computer fan bigger that 135mm!

It’s the side fan in this case, which is a monster.

Fan Picture
© Axiom Message Boards