Axiom Home Page
Posted By: alexadams77 Amp for m60's? - 10/15/07 11:27 PM
I currently have:

A/V Receiver: Yamaha RX V2200 rated @ 100w x 6
Mains: m60
Center: VP150
Surround: QS8
Sub: SVS PC13

I was wondering if I'll notice a big difference with adding an Amp to my setup? Is it gong to be night/day or just a bit of a difference? I would be looking at spending around $1000 for now, but with some ass kissing, I'm sure the wife will let me go to about $1500.

Also, some Amp recommendations would be good as well.

Would it be smarter to just upgrade my receiver and do the amp later?
Posted By: Mojo Re: Amp for m60's? - 10/15/07 11:47 PM
How big is your room and what SPL do you listen at?
Posted By: jakewash Re: Amp for m60's? - 10/15/07 11:52 PM
What do you mean by Difference?crisper, more details? M80s would give you a difference that is guarranteed to make you notice at all volume levels compared to the M60s.

You will find a noticeable difference at louder volumes and less so at lower volumes, or so those that have larger amps have posted. Is it worth $1000-1500, that's your call.
Posted By: alexadams77 Re: Amp for m60's? - 10/16/07 12:02 AM
My room is open and is:

20x14x9

It will be used for 80% HT and 20% Music. I usually listened at 70-85db 90% of the time and the other 10% is around 100+dbs.

I was actually wondering what a difference I would hear (ie. crisper, more detailed, louder, better sounding, etc).
Posted By: Mojo Re: Amp for m60's? - 10/16/07 12:03 AM
Do you listen to classical music?
Posted By: alexadams77 Re: Amp for m60's? - 10/16/07 12:09 AM
 Originally Posted By: Mojo
Do you listen to classical music?

Not if I can help it. I usually listen to Dance, Rap and Rock
Posted By: RickF Re: Amp for m60's? - 10/16/07 12:11 AM
With 80% HT usage I'd probably take a look at upgrading the video side of your components like the new HDMI receivers, HDDVD/Blu Ray and etc., I'm thinking you'll stand more of a chance of telling more of a difference in that regard than you will by adding an amp with your 60s.

If you don't already have these upgrades, of course.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Amp for m60's? - 10/16/07 12:15 AM
Then an amp upgrade for power alone is a complete waste of money. Let the blood-letting begin \:D .

Now as far as receiver processing is concerned, that's an open question in my mind. The jury is still out on whether one manufacturer implements processing better than another.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Amp for m60's? - 10/16/07 12:30 AM
Even though I enjoy some of the classical music JohnK has recommended, it is not the only Genre that has 15-20dB dynamic peaks.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Amp for m60's? - 10/16/07 12:40 AM
Since the levels you listen at aren't that loud, I would agree with BrotherBob , upgrading to a new receiver with all the new bells and whistles and possibly more power, would Imo be a better choice.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Amp for m60's? - 10/16/07 12:40 AM
 Originally Posted By: sirquack
Even though I enjoy some of the classical music JohnK has recommended, it is not the only Genre that has 15-20dB dynamic peaks.

Polka?
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Amp for m60's? - 10/16/07 12:51 AM
How did you guess? \:\)
Posted By: Mojo Re: Amp for m60's? - 10/16/07 01:00 AM
Polka? My wife would love a night out with you, Randy. And if you square-dance maybe she'll even trade up \:D .

He has plenty of room for 18 dB peaks provided his Yammy is clean up to 100W.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Amp for m60's? - 10/16/07 05:55 AM
Alex, neither "night/day" nor "just a bit", but most likely no difference at all. Unless you listen at an extremely high average level(damaging to hearing)your present amplification should be fine. Average comfortably loud levels use about 1 watt, and some pop music with very little dynamic range(almost uniformly loud)doesn't take much more. Material with a wide dynamic range, such as much of the classical music that I listen to and some pop material and movies requires much more on brief peaks, but even then isn't likely to exceed the maximum capacity of your present amplifier in the 2200.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Amp for m60's? - 10/16/07 03:21 PM
 Originally Posted By: alexadams77

I was actually wondering what a difference I would hear (ie. crisper, more detailed, louder, better sounding, etc).

Like I said some M80s will give you the crisper, clearer, sound compared to the M60s. You might find them more detailed as well as the mids and highs are more forward so you hear them more.
Posted By: Murph Re: Amp for m60's? - 10/16/07 07:09 PM
 Originally Posted By: St_PatGuy

Polka?

Why is it to this day, I can not see or hear the word Polka without picturing John Candy in 'Plains, Trains and Automobiles'?
Posted By: Spoiler Re: Amp for m60's? - 10/16/07 08:22 PM
 Quote:
Why is it to this day, I can not see or hear the word Polka without picturing John Candy in 'Plains, Trains and Automobiles'?

...or 'Ground Hog Day'
Posted By: noob_from_Georgi Re: Amp for m60's? - 10/16/07 11:11 PM
 Originally Posted By: Murph

Polka?

Nice! He died way before his time. One movie I never get tired of is "Uncle Buck." \:\)
Posted By: jakewash Re: Amp for m60's? - 10/17/07 12:07 AM
My first date with my wife was to Uncle Buck and right now I always think of Polka and Home Alone pops into my thoughts, as my kids really like that movie.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Amp for m60's? - 10/17/07 12:15 AM
 Originally Posted By: Murph

Polka?

\:D By far, one of my favorite holiday movies! Strike that, one of my favorite movies period.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Amp for m60's? - 10/17/07 01:06 AM
You can now use the "strike out" command.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Amp for m60's? - 10/17/07 01:12 AM
Two of my all-time favourite juvenile movies are "The Breakfast Club" and "Ferris Bueller's Day Off". They very much remind me of my teenage days.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Amp for m60's? - 10/17/07 01:20 AM
I can relate as well, good flix... \:\)
Posted By: jakewash Re: Amp for m60's? - 10/17/07 03:34 AM
Ferris bueller's day off is one of my favorites as well, Breakfast club not so much. Stripes on the other hand, The Princess Bride(fill in your favorite quote here).....
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Amp for m60's? - 10/17/07 03:42 AM
“My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die.”
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Amp for m60's? - 10/17/07 02:49 PM
Gotta agree with you there, Jason. Maybe I saw Breakfast Club too late in life (late teens), but I found it extraordinarily dull.

I remember seeing Stripes when I was much younger (and finding it funny), but I don't remember the movie in the slightest.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Amp for m60's? - 10/17/07 04:32 PM
Just thinking to myself and to lazy search, but do we have an all time favorite movies thread? I think it would be interesting.
I have a wide variety of movies I've really enjoyed from Forrest Gump to Sideways. I for one would love to see everyone elses favorites, and I need some help with some new Netflix choices \:\)
Posted By: alexadams77 Re: Amp for m60's? - 10/24/07 07:40 PM
I have a 5.1 system right now and was going to purchase a 7 Channel Amp (Emotiva IPS-1). With the 2 Channels remaining, I was going to bi-amp the m60's.

As for upgrading my current system, I'm going to wait for the HD/BD fight to end or for cheaper DVD Players from one or the other.

Right now I connect my DVD Player and Cable straight to the TV and both have their own upconverting capabilities.

I figure that a new AVR will set me back around $1000, but a new amp will put me back around $700.
© Axiom Message Boards