Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Curved Air The mother of all waits... - 01/04/08 04:36 PM
Greetings all,

Long time lurker making his first post \:\) (Seriously got a good bunch of folks here!)

My story: Ordered Epic 60 / 500 beginning of August when I heard I had family moving back home (butt end of Africa). Could not miss out on the opportunity. Speakers were delivered within a few weeks to the family (factory outlet) and so the wait began... Packed up into the container end of October scheduled to arrive 27th Dec. Well the container has been in town through customs and waiting for delivery for the last few days. They were supposed to come today but no delivery vehicles were available, tis Africa.

Now they are saying Monday, sigh...

Just had to vent!
ca
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: The mother of all waits... - 01/04/08 05:14 PM
This makes even DHL sounds efficient!:(
The wait will be well worth it once you install those great speakers!
Posted By: Hutzal Re: The mother of all waits... - 01/04/08 06:08 PM
I am not gunna lie, that totally sucks!
Posted By: terzaghi Re: The mother of all waits... - 01/04/08 07:34 PM
I hope nothing got beat up too bad during the shipment.
Posted By: Curved Air Re: The mother of all waits... - 01/04/08 07:40 PM
 Originally Posted By: terzaghi
I hope nothing got beat up too bad during the shipment.

Same here!

They are all still in their original boxes and have not been unpacked but you never know...
Posted By: Blue Grass Man Re: The mother of all waits... - 01/04/08 10:29 PM
Come home my brother.
Posted By: DaveG Re: The mother of all waits... - 01/05/08 11:11 AM
Enjoy your speakers.
Posted By: Curved Air Re: The mother of all waits... - 01/07/08 05:06 PM
They have arrived. Yeah!

Look to be in good shape, got to love Axiom packaging.

Wonder what I am going to be doing for the rest of the day... ;\)
Posted By: DaveG Re: The mother of all waits... - 01/07/08 05:20 PM
Have fun!
Posted By: framer2180 Re: The mother of all waits... - 01/08/08 06:25 AM
Please take a break and let us know how the set up is going.
Posted By: Curved Air Re: The mother of all waits... - 01/08/08 10:47 AM
Setup is complete, I did not need to replace any wiring so installing the wall mounts for the QS8s and VP150 was the hardest part.

Watched Master and Commander DTS last night and was blown away. My wife said I looked like a kid in a candy store \:\)

I did run through the Sound and Vision Tune-up first with a radio shack spl meter. The sub volume knob seemed very low, barely 6 o' clock position. Did end up setting it a touch hotter than the spl meter suggested so I guess it was on or just past 6 'o clock. The boat creaking and wood cracking was superb. When those cannon balls were flying the whole room was shaking \:D

Still going to experiment to get the best subwoofer mix. I think it was pretty darn good though. There was a nice smooth transition into the lowest frequencies which was very nice.

After we watched M&C I popped in the original Matrix and skipped to the elevator lobby scene. I must say I was really disappointed here, the gunshots all sounded very compressed. The casings falling to the ground sounded very good but that was about it. Watched it to the end and I got the feeling that the sound effects were just not a major priority in this film. I guess I can understand that seeing as there was so much focus on the filming side of things. I just never thought it was lacking until now.

Now I have to make time for Das Boot \:\)
Posted By: Mojo Re: The mother of all waits... - 01/08/08 02:37 PM
I feel the same way about that lobby scene and thought I was the only one.

U-571 is also an excellent choice. A couple of nights ago I rented Resident Evil: Extinction. The sound was absolutely awesome. I shut my eyes and just listened \:\) .
Posted By: Ken.C Re: The mother of all waits... - 01/08/08 03:01 PM
Given that it was a Resident Evil movie, that sounds like a really good idea.

U-571--one movie that gets recommended around here that's actually got an interesting plot and good acting along with good sound.
Posted By: Curved Air Re: The mother of all waits... - 01/08/08 03:34 PM
Funny you should mention U-571. That was also brought along in the shipment \:\)

It's MIA in a box somewhere at the moment but looking forward to it.

All in all I got the following along with the new speakers:
Master and Commander
U-571
Das Boot
Eagles, When Hell Freezes Over
Pearl Harbor
Posted By: Murph Re: The mother of all waits... - 01/09/08 04:16 PM
But if you close your eyes during Resident Evil, you will no get to see Milla Jovovich in her ever tearing red dress!
© Axiom Message Boards