Axiom Home Page
Posted By: blackstar79 SACD Cables - 02/05/08 11:29 PM
Plan on getting an SACD player soon and was wondering do i Need cables that are specifically marketed for SACD players or am i good with 3 sets monoprice premium RCA cables? would rather spend $15 than $90 for cables if there's really no REAL difference.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: SACD Cables - 02/05/08 11:38 PM
3 sets of premium RCA cables will do you nicely. I personally use 1 set of their composite cables and one set of their component cables.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: SACD Cables - 02/05/08 11:43 PM
Ken:
Doesn't that leave you one cable shy?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: SACD Cables - 02/05/08 11:59 PM
Nnnnooo....
Posted By: Wid Re: SACD Cables - 02/06/08 12:03 AM

Ken is right, 3 sets will do the trick. No special cables necessary just regular audio cables will work just fine.
Posted By: blackstar79 Re: SACD Cables - 02/06/08 01:09 AM
sweet! I've already ordered myself kind of blue and round about midnight let's hope ebay is nice to me on the player!
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: SACD Cables - 02/06/08 01:32 AM
Which player did you have in mind? I have an Oppo-980. Video is pretty lame (I'm sure the others, more expensive Oppo are better for video), but for the price, the audio of SACD & DVD-A are rendered beautifully. I'm using HDMI for multich PCM.
Posted By: doormat Re: SACD Cables - 02/06/08 01:38 AM
 Originally Posted By: EFalardeau
Which player did you have in mind? I have an Oppo-980. Video is pretty lame (I'm sure the others, more expensive Oppo are better for video), but for the price, the audio of SACD & DVD-A are rendered beautifully. I'm using HDMI for multich PCM.

I'm curious as to what you mean by "pretty lame". I have the 980 and it's as good as any other DVD player I've had. Mind you, I only have a 480p projector so haven't seen any of it's upscaling abilities, if that is what you were referring to.

I also mainly bought it for it's SACD/DVD-A capabilities.

Posted By: blackstar79 Re: SACD Cables - 02/06/08 01:48 AM
I'm starting with a Pioneer dv-45a. figure for $100 it should do the job until i upgrade to something else. not buying it for video though, want to get into SACD see what all the copywrited fuss was about
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: SACD Cables - 02/06/08 11:49 AM
I also bought the 980 only for the music; but at some point I thought I would put my "LG" to rest and spare an HDMI connection (I'm all out!). I was very disapointed. Actually, I thought so far that my LG upscaler was my weakest (the other being an HD-A30), but I quickly brought it back in!

My recommendation to everyone looking for Oppo is always: if you care about the video, the 981 and such are probably worth the extra 50-100$.

Nevertheless, for audio, to have a great player sending multich and DSD through HDMI for less than 200$, the 980 is quite simply amazing. So I am very happy with the 980.
Posted By: mapatton Re: SACD Cables - 02/06/08 04:08 PM
For SACD, I have been real happy with the Pio DV48. Even does DSD over HDMI.
© Axiom Message Boards