Axiom Home Page
Posted By: terzaghi Dual subwoofers - 03/17/08 03:11 PM
I have mentioned before that I am considering dual subs.

I have an ep500, and am looking at adding a second ep500 most likely. Other subs floating around in my mind include the ep600 and the ep350.

This brings up the age old question: the difference between the ep500 and the ep600. On paper the ep600 goes slightly lower and plays slightly louder. Is this difference pretty noticeable? I heard and ep600 when I auditioned speaker in kansas city, but without the two side by side its hard to make a comparison.

So would it be best to have the same sub ( another ep 500), or should i shoot for an ep600? or perhaps a 350 is all I need.

what do you guys think?
Posted By: Mojo Re: Dual subwoofers - 03/17/08 03:53 PM
Someone like jakeman is going to have to chime in about mixing DSP-based subs with more traditional designs.
Posted By: Murph Re: Dual subwoofers - 03/17/08 04:58 PM
I too am interested. Maybe not until next year or the year after but I'd love to get a more even distribution of bass in my room. Current room is square and there is a HUGE difference in bass from where I sit in the middle (have too) compared to the rear corners. To get impressive bass effects in the middle, it will be too much in the corners.

My new room (waiting for drywall delivery) is not square but it's close to being half as wide as it is long so I suspect it will still need some help. Plans include a better layout at least.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Dual subwoofers - 03/17/08 04:59 PM
Well, I think common sense says all the subs should be the same but Randy has his EP600 with 2 EP350s and he seems to like them. And with the side by side Mojo and I did of the 350 to 600 I thought the differences were negligible. I would go for the 350.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Dual subwoofers - 03/17/08 06:03 PM
Jakeman responded in my 350 thread that they would blend nicely with the 500 or 600. So far I agree.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Dual subwoofers - 03/17/08 06:54 PM
Randy, that's a big one you got there buddy. You're gonna need more subbage to fill it. The EP1400 should suffice.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Dual subwoofers - 03/17/08 09:21 PM
h ha
Posted By: fredk Re: Dual subwoofers - 03/18/08 12:08 AM
By my calculations he's already got a 1300.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Dual subwoofers - 03/18/08 12:48 AM
Well, suppose one could get a pretty good deal on an ep600 enclosure and amplifier.... and I just happen to have an extra driver laying around.

I also happen to have some extra 12 gauge speaker wire. The only thing I am not sure about is how the wire hooks up between the amp and the driver. When I took my ep500 apart I noticed that there was speaker wire that went from one side of the driver to the other, and then one wire that went from one side off the driver to the amp.

could I just use bare wire connections for all of this?

Maybe twist two ends of 12 gauge wire together and solder them a bit? any problems with this?
© Axiom Message Boards