Axiom Home Page
Posted By: mcad64 Emotiva LPA1 shipped to Canada?? - 05/21/08 06:39 PM
Any Canucks on here who could give me a ballpark figure on what it would cost to get one of these to Ontario. I called Emotiva and they said shipping was $80. I take it I pay pst and gst? How much is duty and brokerage fees from Fedex? Thanks for any and all help.
Mike

Edit: Scratch that...I think I found my answer!!
Posted By: jakewash Re: Emotiva LPA1 shipped to Canada?? - 05/21/08 08:27 PM
Post your answer for the rest of us.\:\)
Posted By: mcad64 Re: Emotiva LPA1 shipped to Canada?? - 05/22/08 11:53 AM
The answer...errr...sort of..came from another poster on this forum. If I may be so bold, I searched and found a post by avdude.

Duty $31.22 (6.5%)
Broker fee $53.83
BROKER GST $3.23
GST $30.59
PST $40.79
Total = $159.56

This was to Ontario.
I believe he stated that it was UPS though and when I called Emotiva yesterday they told me that they shipped to Canada with FedEx, so I guess the cost may be different. I think this may at least give a ball park figure. What I really need to do is get off my lazy arse and call Fedex about the broker fees!!
Mike
Posted By: anthony11 Re: Emotiva LPA1 shipped to Canada?? - 05/22/08 07:00 PM
What's this "broker" business? I've never heard of that when sending stuff to Canada.
Posted By: Murph Re: Emotiva LPA1 shipped to Canada?? - 05/22/08 07:21 PM
I believe, he or she is the person whom you pay to either
a.) slide your box from the US shelf to the Canadian shelf, or
b.) decide how to best tie up your package while interpreting one of a giga-billion import laws and apply all applicable duties and tariffs.

Either way, they get to do some paperwork and charge you (seemingly random amounts) for their services.

In the movie Beetlejuice you became a civil servant in the afterlife if you committed suicide. I wonder what you have to do to become a broker?
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Emotiva LPA1 shipped to Canada?? - 05/22/08 08:02 PM
hmmmm... that is a lot of fees!
Posted By: fredk Re: Emotiva LPA1 shipped to Canada?? - 05/22/08 09:04 PM
UPS is notorious for its brokerage fees. They supposedly have a lower rate for low value 'retail' stuff coming across the border, but rarely follow that schedule, charging their regular commrecial fees. I don't ever use UPS.

If you can get it shipped usps, there are no brokerage fees.
Posted By: doormat Re: Emotiva LPA1 shipped to Canada?? - 05/22/08 11:43 PM
Alas, USPS doesn't seem to like doing Int'l shipping on 80lb amps.

Apparently, if you contact FedEx/UPS you can get them to send you the forms (or where to find them online) and you can fill them out yourself to avoid the $50 brokerage fee. Have not done this personally, however.
Posted By: mcad64 Re: Emotiva LPA1 shipped to Canada?? - 05/23/08 11:35 AM
I did some sleuthing and as of March 2004, according to a document I read, the Fedex broker fees (for the LPA1,at $500) would be $37.50. So cheaper than UPS. Filling out your own forms was also something I read, but, does this mean that you have to somehow get it to your local customs office?? Sounds like a bit of a PITA to me?
Mike
Posted By: doormat Re: Emotiva LPA1 shipped to Canada?? - 05/23/08 08:31 PM
 Originally Posted By: mcad64
I did some sleuthing and as of March 2004, according to a document I read, the Fedex broker fees (for the LPA1,at $500) would be $37.50. So cheaper than UPS. Filling out your own forms was also something I read, but, does this mean that you have to somehow get it to your local customs office?? Sounds like a bit of a PITA to me?
Mike

Which is why they get away with charging for brokerage. At $37, the headache avoidance factor does seem more tempting (especially living in a small town). $54 would make me want to do it myself just for spite!
Posted By: Karlman Re: Emotiva LPA1 shipped to Canada?? - 05/23/08 09:55 PM
For what it's worth.. I shipped my last order from monoprice via UPS worldwide express to Canada, before I read about the brokerage fee's.

After digging around the UPS site, I found the page on their site that listed the fee's.. for basic ground shipping, the fee's were pretty high, but for the express shipping it was free *shrug*. I still had to pay $8 duty though to the UPS guy, but apparently no brokerage fees. Shipping was about $30 for 25 lbs.
Posted By: avdude Re: Emotiva LPA1 shipped to Canada?? - 06/02/08 12:11 PM
 Originally Posted By: mcad64
The answer...errr...sort of..came from another poster on this forum. If I may be so bold, I searched and found a post by avdude.

Duty $31.22 (6.5%)
Broker fee $53.83
BROKER GST $3.23
GST $30.59
PST $40.79
Total = $159.56

This was to Ontario.
I believe he stated that it was UPS though and when I called Emotiva yesterday they told me that they shipped to Canada with FedEx, so I guess the cost may be different. I think this may at least give a ball park figure. What I really need to do is get off my lazy arse and call Fedex about the broker fees!!
Mike

I just looked at my box and it has UPS stickers all over it .. maby emotiva has changed shippers to Canada...The UPS fee's were crazy... Maby fedx has better rates.. if your close to the boarder i sugest getting it shipped to one of those mail box type places and go across and get it yourself... But with the price of fuel it might not be cost effecient if your not close enough to just pop over to the US for the afternoon.. No way around duty but it is possible to beat the brokerage fee's ..
© Axiom Message Boards