Axiom Home Page
Posted By: bradenmcg Upside-down center channel? - 12/31/08 07:58 PM
I've got my 5ch Axiom setup in my HT room at home, but the center channel (VP150v2) is fairly low - middle shelf of a shorter TV stand with my DLP projection TV on top.

I was thinking about flipping the VP150 over. The top is angled in such a way that if I make the top the bottom, the drivers and face of the speaker will be pointed upwards towards the ears. Only problems that I can see are that I've already applied the feet to the bottom (so I'll have to find some other feet) and that the drivers will be upside down with the axiom label on the tweeters unreadable. I normally leave the grill cover on though, and that can be flipped easily so that's not a problem.

Is the speaker designed to have its face flat with the front of the room, or can I expect better imaging if I flip it over? I haven't tried it yet because it is rather large and a pain to flip. ;\)
Posted By: myrison Re: Upside-down center channel? - 12/31/08 08:01 PM
Other than what you've mentioned there should be no issues turning it over.

I think mine is actually mounted upside down now that you mention it. It's all about getting the best angle to your ears from where it is sitting/mounted/etc.

Jason
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Upside-down center channel? - 12/31/08 08:07 PM
Mine is upside down. Works fine.
Posted By: 80'sMan Re: Upside-down center channel? - 12/31/08 08:14 PM
I 3rd the opinions. Go with your ears. They will tell you what's right for you.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Upside-down center channel? - 12/31/08 08:19 PM
I was wondering this same situation, turning the centre over to angle upwards as my stand has very low shelves. Glad you brought this up Brad.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Upside-down center channel? - 12/31/08 08:38 PM
As the drivers all in the middle flipping it upside down makes no difference what so ever, just make sure you flip the grill over as well so everyone knows it is an Axiom and not wojxV (as close as I could to an upside down Axiom print)
Posted By: Adrian Re: Upside-down center channel? - 12/31/08 09:37 PM
Nothing wrong with wojxV speakers, they sound pretty good.
Posted By: Graeme L Re: Upside-down center channel? - 12/31/08 09:45 PM
The feet will come off, I had it upside down to start with and then turned it up the other way. I carefully removed the feet and put them on the other side.

If they don't, you could always get some of those little round self adhesive Velcro pads and use them.

It make a big difference which way it is, I am going to face it up again as I feel the center dialogue is too low.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Upside-down center channel? - 12/31/08 11:06 PM
Mine is upside down as well. The grill flips over nicely so that nobody will ever know but me.... And all of you!!!
Posted By: bridgman Re: Upside-down center channel? - 12/31/08 11:35 PM
I run my VP100 upside down.

Center channels have feet ? Mine must still be in the box ;\)
Posted By: RickF Re: Upside-down center channel? - 01/01/09 12:28 AM
The VP100 and VP150s have feet? Either of mine don't and it was my understanding that these center channel enclosures were designed in such a manner that they could be turned right side up or upside down for dialog angle adjustment to the listener.

I run our VP150 on a bottom shelve with it placed upside down along with wedges so that it angles directly to our seating position.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Upside-down center channel? - 01/01/09 02:58 AM
Flipping the centers over is often talked about and works fine. I've had mine flipped over for years. Just make sure you flip the grill cover over so "Axiom" isn't upside down. The speaker doesn't know it is upside down. \:\)
Posted By: bradenmcg Re: Upside-down center channel? - 01/02/09 11:03 PM
Yeah, they should come with a small square of four clear rubber-ish feet. I stupidly applied them on the "bottom" right after I got the speaker without thinking I may need to run it upside-down.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Upside-down center channel? - 01/03/09 04:40 PM
I have not used any of the small clear rubber feet on any of my speakers. However I do use the black wall bumpers that came with my QS4s.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Upside-down center channel? - 01/03/09 05:42 PM
You could remove the rubber feet, and the holes should not be to noticable when you flip the 150 over, maybe Axiom could send you some small stickers with the same grain to cover the holes.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Upside-down center channel? - 01/03/09 08:09 PM
Holes? It's not like they're screwed on!
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Upside-down center channel? - 01/04/09 12:34 AM
Some may not like the cosmetics of having the holes being visual.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Upside-down center channel? - 01/04/09 12:36 AM
What holes? As I understand it, they're stickers and should come off cleanly.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Upside-down center channel? - 01/04/09 12:41 AM
I was just replying to Braden, who was talking about applying rubber feet on his center, before he realized he could flip it over to angle it upward. I guess I was thinking he was talking about the rubber feet that come with speakers/subs that you screw into the bottom, if you flip it over the holes would show.

I guess the 150 does not have those, to many natty's I guess.
Posted By: RickF Re: Upside-down center channel? - 01/04/09 12:41 AM
Randy are you saying these centers are drilled for the threaded feet like the floor standing speakers? Mine are not.
Posted By: RickF Re: Upside-down center channel? - 01/04/09 12:44 AM
You can disregard my reply Mr. Natty Light ... k?
© Axiom Message Boards