Axiom Home Page
Posted By: rage96 Martin Logan - 01/07/09 06:09 PM
Hey everyone I was just wondering if anyone has had a chance to own or compare the M80 v2 and the Martin Logan Preface Martin Logan Preface

Also one other thing I know its way off the main topic but does monsoon still make speakers mine are starting to make a fuzzy/crackle sound when I turn them up or down. Don't get me wrong I would love to get the Audiobyte speakers but to honest around $600 is way to much for computer speakers to some maybe not for the qulity but for me its to much.

Some my not like how the monsoon flatpanle speakers sounded but for me I loved them, yes it did not have a wide sound area but for the person sitting in the sweet spot they where nice.

Sorry for getting way off topic but I tend to do that. Thanks again for you input on the Martin logan and the monsoon/computer speaker question.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Martin Logan - 01/07/09 06:24 PM
The fuzzy/crackle sound you get when adjusting the volume is most likely coming from the your pre-amp or receiver. Do you have an "old-fashioned" analog volume knob, perchance?
Posted By: rage96 Re: Martin Logan - 01/07/09 06:32 PM
Ya it is, I think this is the one I have.
http://www.amazon.com/Monsoon-Planar-Media-multimedia-speaker/dp/B00006BADM
Posted By: jakewash Re: Martin Logan - 01/07/09 06:39 PM
I have been reasonably impressed by Altec Lansing's PC offerings of late. For a cheap, good sounding system I bought my son this set and think it is surprisingly good.
Posted By: PeterChenoweth Re: Martin Logan - 01/07/09 07:33 PM
I've heard a couple of different ML speakers, but never the Preface line. The ones I spent the most time with, when comparison shopping against M80's, were the Purity. This was at the local Best Buy store, in their Magnolia 'showroom'. I really wasn't all that impressed.

While I do like the aesthetics of the speakers (they look cool), I felt that the overall sound was lacking. My biggest complaint was that they had *no* bass. Basically had about as much bass as a pair of earbud headphones from across the room. Way less bass than even what M22's can produce. I fiddled around with settings on several different receivers, including a model similar to the one I own at home, but couldn't improve it at all. Other speakers had good bass, so I could only conclude that they just don't produce much, were incorrectly hooked up, or that maybe there was something actually wrong with them. The salesperson said that's how they were supposed to sound, so who knows.

The other thing I didn't like is how extremely directional they were. Yes, as you said, that sweet spot sounds good. Nice and wide soundstage and the speakers disappear nicely into the room. But from any other spot in the room, they just didn't sound special to me at all. Very 'blah'. With my Axiom's, my entire couch is the sweet spot, and they sound great from anywhere in my house.

My $.02 anyway, take it for what it's worth.
Posted By: Listener Re: Martin Logan - 01/07/09 07:58 PM
I have the monsoons for my computer system. I think they are great little speakers and can't really beat them for the price. I do not think they are produced any more however, but you should be able to still find them online. I may one day upgrade them to the audiobytes.... actually i would really like to read a comparison of the audiobytes against the monsoons.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Martin Logan - 01/07/09 08:17 PM
SO what is stopping you? Order them up have a listen and do the comparison, then TRY to return them, <evil laugh>AH ha ha ha haaaaa. </evil laugh>
Posted By: Listener Re: Martin Logan - 01/07/09 08:46 PM
 Originally Posted By: jakewash
SO what is stopping you? Order them up have a listen and do the comparison, then TRY to return them, <evil laugh>AH ha ha ha haaaaa. </evil laugh>

Why Try? Is it that the 30 day return policy does not apply to them or do you think I won't be able to part with them?
Posted By: jakewash Re: Martin Logan - 01/07/09 08:49 PM
You might not be able to part with them.
Posted By: Listener Re: Martin Logan - 01/07/09 08:52 PM
You might not be able to part with them.

If I like them more than the monsoons perhaps Alan would agree to a trade. I bet he already has the audiobytes so it's a win win.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Martin Logan - 01/07/09 08:55 PM
I like that idea.
Posted By: Zimm Re: Martin Logan - 01/07/09 09:54 PM
So you are looking to put a pair of Martin Logons on your computer desk? Must be one hell of a Youtube set up you have! As for ML, I love them. But "them" in terms of ML is their high-end electrostatics. They are the best I know of for that niche technology. I did A/B comparisons with ML and PSBs (can't recall the exact versions of each) and loved the better ML, like the X-Stat's. But I found that as you move down the line, the sound changes greatly. What I concluded is that you need a big electrostatic panel to make really good sound, so the smaller panels just lacked the goods. And as mentioned above, even the high end ML have massive subs built in because the panel does not go deep. On the lower end, price kept the more powerful subs out, so you just lose that low end.
But the ML you are looking at does not have an electrostatic panel. In terms of conventional speakers, I would not venture to guess how good this ML is, but I did not like their smaller driver efforts even on the electrostatic speakers. For my two cents (and perhaps not that much!), I would be very hesitant to pay for one of the ultra premium names like Martin Logan, while not getting their signature technology. It is kind of like buying a Ferrari tractor - what did I just pay for? It could be the greatest ever, but you don't have much technological trickle down from the great ML's.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Martin Logan - 01/07/09 11:04 PM
Why not some ML headphones ?
Posted By: rage96 Re: Martin Logan - 01/08/09 02:08 AM
Zimm did you even read the very first post on this subject, I was talking about the M80's vs./compare to the Martin Logan. The reason the subject moved to computer speakers was b/c I went a little off topic. lol anyway thanks for you input just wish more ppl had the Martin Logan speakers.
Posted By: fredk Re: Martin Logan - 01/08/09 03:01 AM
Going off topic is dangerous around here. \:\)

Its also required.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Martin Logan - 01/08/09 03:03 AM
Basically, it's a "you can't beat us so join us" thing.
Posted By: Zimm Re: Martin Logan - 01/08/09 03:38 AM
No, I did, really. But you had one sentence on ML's and ten sentences and 498 post about computer speakers. (How do you ask about Martin Logans and computer speakers in one post, come on, that was hijack bait!) I just had a vision of a pair of giant Martin Logan's (they are traditionally big F'ing speakers, like 6 feet tall!) sitting on your desk next to a 19 inch computer screen. Come on, that is quite a sight. I really do like ML, just can't see buying one with conventional drivers - not their bread and butter.
Posted By: rage96 Re: Martin Logan - 01/08/09 05:07 AM
No zimm you are right it would be funny having them on a desk.

Posted By: CV Re: Martin Logan - 01/08/09 05:15 AM
 Originally Posted By: Listener
I have the monsoons for my computer system. I think they are great little speakers and can't really beat them for the price. I do not think they are produced any more however, but you should be able to still find them online. I may one day upgrade them to the audiobytes.... actually i would really like to read a comparison of the audiobytes against the monsoons.

It's not an in-depth comparison by any means, but this person did prefer the Audiobytes to the Monsoons:

CES 2008: Axiom Audio Audiobyte computer speakers

"So how did they sound? Much better than I expected… they ARE audiophile quality. It’s not that I don’t expect great things from Axiom, it’s just that small speakers have limitations due to the laws of physics and have a hard time reproducing a full, believable midrange. The Audiobytes were demonstrated with classical music, the hardest test of any speaker and the sound was smooth, sweet, full, and clear… definitely the best I’ve heard from any computer speaker, including my Monsoons… which I thought would NEVER be beaten in their class."
Posted By: Zimm Re: Martin Logan - 01/08/09 03:20 PM
 Originally Posted By: rage96
No zimm you are right it would be funny having them on a desk.

Crap, now I WANT a pair ML's to put next to my monitors!! I'd be the envy of everyone in the office! Would M80's be more practical? Hum, food for thought.
Posted By: Listener Re: Martin Logan - 01/08/09 06:11 PM
 Originally Posted By: CV
 Originally Posted By: Listener

It's not an in-depth comparison by any means, but this person did prefer the Audiobytes to the Monsoons:

CES 2008: Axiom Audio Audiobyte computer speakers

"So how did they sound? Much better than I expected… they ARE audiophile quality. It’s not that I don’t expect great things from Axiom, it’s just that small speakers have limitations due to the laws of physics and have a hard time reproducing a full, believable midrange. The Audiobytes were demonstrated with classical music, the hardest test of any speaker and the sound was smooth, sweet, full, and clear… definitely the best I’ve heard from any computer speaker, including my Monsoons… which I thought would NEVER be beaten in their class."

Cool. Thanks. I have to say though I am pretty happy with the monsoons, which i bought used about 4-5 years ago for less than a $100.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Martin Logan - 01/08/09 10:38 PM
My Denon 3801 and Paradigm Monitor 9's complement my computer just fine \:\)
Posted By: Listener Re: Martin Logan - 01/09/09 02:51 PM
 Originally Posted By: wheelz999
My Denon 3801 and Paradigm Monitor 9's complement my computer just fine \:\)

You've got those hooked up to the PC? What kind of sound card do you use?
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Martin Logan - 01/09/09 04:10 PM
I use onboard sound from my EVGA 680 SLI. I have a Turtle Beach Montego with Dolby Digital Live soundcard in my other computer which currently isn't in use but I don't think I will gain anything by using it because I use a xitel hi-fi link to connect my computer to my receiver.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Martin Logan - 01/09/09 04:30 PM
Cam, after reading about the Xitel, you are not using an onboard soundcard, the Xitel bypasses them as it hooks up through USB ports. It is essentially an external soundcard, with only one function - output, and as far as I can tell only output on line level RCAs, opposed to other external soundcards which allow outputs in other forms as well as inputs. Most onboard sound cards have VERY poor frequency response, which is why many use after-market cards.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Martin Logan - 01/09/09 04:38 PM
Jay, I hear what you're saying. I'm happy with the sound quality of the xitel but I am guessing that you're suggesting that it would be improved if I used my sound card and it's SPDIF output (which I'm virtually positive it has)?
Posted By: jakewash Re: Martin Logan - 01/09/09 04:45 PM
No, not at all, no need to go with the digital out, although it would be interesting to see if it has any affect to the SQ, as your receiver would then be the source DAC.

I was simply pointing out that the Xitel doesn't have anything to do with the onboard soundcard as it plugs into the USB ports, so it bypasses the onboard sound.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Martin Logan - 01/09/09 04:51 PM
Yes it would be interesting, I just might have to try that. Now to find a willing walkie with working digits!
Posted By: fredk Re: Martin Logan - 01/09/09 04:55 PM
Most onboard sound cards have VERY poor frequency response, which is why many use after-market cards.

I would agree that was true in the past, but with the AMDs release of the 690g chipset they substantially raised the bar for onboard sound. Since then Nvidea and even Intel have released onboard sound chipsets of good quality.

I ran my system through my onboard sound for a little while (690g chipset) and it sounded darn good. I did notice a slightly higher noise floor (a very slight hiss in silent spots between tracks).
Posted By: jakewash Re: Martin Logan - 01/09/09 04:58 PM
Fred what did REW give you for a response curve when doing the feedback loop?
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Martin Logan - 01/09/09 05:02 PM
A loopy room I suspect
© Axiom Message Boards