Axiom Home Page
Posted By: oldlamps center or rear upgrade? - 01/08/09 02:33 PM
I can upgrade my center or the 2 surrounds...i have a medium size room using 2 older Panasonic fronts a KLH center and radio shack pro 5v rears..these are smaller bookshelf type. What do you think would be my better upgade..the center or rears/
Thanks,Tom
Posted By: jakewash Re: center or rear upgrade? - 01/08/09 04:09 PM
How do you feel about the mismatch set up you have now? Do you like the center, is it as clear as you would like, what is the reason for the upgrade? How big is your room? Medium to you might not be medium to me. \:\) I am thinking upgrading the mains and running a phantom center might be more bang for the buck, then again a pair of QS's would really envelop you in sound compared the direct radiators you now use.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: center or rear upgrade? - 01/08/09 04:24 PM
Kinda of a hard call since none of your speakers match.If and when you change your mains that's when I would get a matching center. For now I think you would really enjoy the QS's.
Posted By: oldlamps Re: center or rear upgrade? - 01/08/09 04:49 PM
I dont have the cash for the mains..it auctually sounds pretty good but I know im missing something esp with these small rears..I agree the QS would probably make more of a difference than the center..so will probably go with that advice..thanks
Posted By: SirQuack Re: center or rear upgrade? - 01/08/09 06:13 PM
budget? what receiver are you using now?
Posted By: oldlamps Re: center or rear upgrade? - 01/08/09 06:42 PM
I have a pioneer vsx 1018
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: center or rear upgrade? - 01/10/09 01:22 AM
I might suggest going with 5 M2's and 2 or 3 wall brackets based on your budget. If you are able to place an M2 right on top of your television for your centre channel that would work really well (if not you can wall mount it slightly above your t.v). The rears you can wall mount as well.
This is a little over the cost of a pair of QS8's but overall this might make for a better overall improvement in your system as a whole depending... (I am not exactly sure what you are using currently or your room size )

In the meantime you can save for 1 or preferably 2 quality subwoofers (entry level Axiom, HSU, SVS subwoofers). This can make for a great system IMO and perfectly timbre matched might I add :).
Posted By: fredk Re: center or rear upgrade? - 01/10/09 02:58 AM
Its really a personal thing. Me, my rear's sagging a little and could use replacing. ;\)
Posted By: oldlamps Re: center or rear upgrade? - 01/10/09 09:50 PM
I was able to get a used Axiom center and 2 qs4..so Im going with those..im sure this will be a nice improvement
Posted By: rick240 Re: center or rear upgrade? - 01/10/09 11:11 PM
Now you need to start planning your Axiom L-R front purchase so that you have timbre matching L-R-C ;\)
Posted By: jakewash Re: center or rear upgrade? - 01/10/09 11:26 PM
Good deal, Let us know what you think of them!
Posted By: oldlamps Re: center or rear upgrade? - 01/11/09 12:54 AM
Ive had mismatched now for years and im not sure what or if Id ever notice anything about timbre..I read about it but I dont understand how important this would be.
Posted By: jakewash Re: center or rear upgrade? - 01/11/09 07:14 PM
Once you hear a set up with a fully matched set of the quality of Axiom or similar, you will know.
© Axiom Message Boards