Axiom Home Page
Posted By: cpa5oh M3's and bass - 02/10/09 01:54 AM
I've got a couple of different "front three" sets - Yamaha NS-444/333, Energy C-C50/C-100, and Klipsch Synergy C2/B2. Long story how I came to end up with three sets of speakers - I've only got two rooms. (I've got a couple of subs too.)

I only have room for bookshelves. I'm thinking of M3's and a VP150 center.

Question I have though is about bass. I realize that I'm not to expect the kind of bass that floorstanders can provide. However, with the Energy's I have, the bass is *almost* good enough where, for music, a sub isn't needed. The Synergy's are also very close to having enough bass for two channel music. The Yamaha's are absolutely not. Then when I add a sub it sounds better to me to have some bass coming from the bookshelves as well...just sounds more full to me with the bookshelves that sound pretty good down low.

When I read reviews - for example of the Speaker Company's $79 speakers, I read reviewers say that the bookshelves they are reviewing are almost good enough down low to not need a sub for music (but you obviously won't get the deepest frequencies unless you add a sub.) That's what I want.

Do the M3's fit that description? Is there any reason why it is totally stupid for me to care about whether they have a good amount of bass?
Posted By: merchman Re: M3's and bass - 02/10/09 02:03 AM
I've had M3's for a year now and they are very good at producing low end sound. For music, I didn't need a sub but for movies it is necessary to reach the real low end. The M3's are excellent little speakers and really come to life when power is fed to them. Don't think you can go wrong if you pick up a pair.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: M3's and bass - 02/10/09 02:16 AM
I've cranked up my M3s and felt they provided enough low end energy to satisfy. No, you won't get the deep undertones on some instruments like the piano, but you're getting most of the musical info.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: M3's and bass - 02/10/09 02:19 AM
Welcome to the forum cpa5oh,

How big is your room in which you are planning on using the M3's in without a sub?

Posted By: cpa5oh Re: M3's and bass - 02/10/09 02:29 AM
Wow thanks for the super quick replies.

Room is small-ish - probably 12 x 12.

And I do have and plan to use a sub - just that based on my experiences so far I have noticed that things sound better with a sub if the bookshelves can provide some decent bass themselves.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: M3's and bass - 02/10/09 02:37 AM
cpa5oh,

The M3's would be a very good choice for that size of room. I think you would be pleasantly surprised on the bass they would put out with running them full range without a sub \:\) . In a small room the M3's are very impressive without a subwoofer and they would deliver that "full" sound that you are looking for.

Good Luck! \:\)
Posted By: cpa5oh Re: M3's and bass - 02/10/09 03:28 AM
That's what I wanted to hear...looks like I'll be ordering up a set. And I'm glad nobody called me a dumb newb, either...:-)
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: M3's and bass - 02/10/09 03:40 AM
cpa5oh,

If you have any more questions pertaining to your setup everyone here is more than willing to help you (doesn't have to relate to Axiom products either). You won't find a more friendly forum.

Let us know how the M3's work out if you order them \:\) .

Cheers! \:\)

Posted By: BoB/335 Re: M3's and bass - 02/10/09 05:26 AM
I'm considering ordering a pair for my kitchen. I thought I would go for the M22's but after reading the product descriptions I felt the M3 would sound fuller without a sub. Is that true?

(They wan't call you a "dumd-ass" till you ask the same questions over and over about 3 different ways and then change your mind about 4 different times) (Right guys?)
Posted By: Ken.C Re: M3's and bass - 02/10/09 05:38 AM
That's generally considered accurate around here, Bob. I don't own any M3s, but having heard them, I can say they're really nice speakers.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: M3's and bass - 02/10/09 06:00 AM
Hello

I have M2s, M22s and M3s. The M3s are astonishingly good speakers. They will produce bass which is not only surprisingly strong, but surprisingly pure. You will hear the music. Neither the M22s nor the M2s can match the M3s as stand alone music generators (IMO of course), not only because of the bass but because of the sweet fullness of the midrange and the highs which will give you more respect for the language of audio revierwers - open, airy, pure, crystalline, etc.

If you want a pair of Axioms to delight you, grab a pair of M3s, listen to the Verve CD recording of Jobim/Getz, wait for the sax and enjoy the music (and the bass), any good recording of jazz by vibes, or your personal favorites.

Welcome and good luck.
Posted By: BoB/335 Re: M3's and bass - 02/10/09 06:57 AM
Actually thinking about a pair of Algonquins for my kitchen. That way I can unplug them and move them outside on the deck for the summer bbq's.
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: M3's and bass - 02/10/09 01:41 PM
Bob, that sounds like a brilliant idea. I've got M3s and love the sound.
Posted By: jakewash Re: M3's and bass - 02/10/09 04:50 PM
To be true to the sound of each, the M22s have a slightly better low end extension than the M3s, it is just the lack of midrange, the dip in the M3s graph after the little 100hz bump, that gives the M3 the illusion of better low end, when in fact it is the drop of midrange that you are hearing. You can great low performance from the M22s and mimic this low end bump the M3s have by using the bass control on the receiver. I find if you increase the bass by a few db and voila, the M22s now have more projected bass and all the crystal clear sound they are known for. Just something else to think about. \:\)
Posted By: myrison Re: M3's and bass - 02/10/09 07:48 PM
Well put Jay - to reiterate what was written above though, the M3s are a very capable speaker for bass. I ran my M3 Algonquins inside for several weeks before mounting them outside and was constantly amazed at the bass response from such small cabinets.

Jason
© Axiom Message Boards