Axiom Home Page
I'd like to see how others have done non-FMB ceiling mounting of their QS8's.

I have a vaulted ceiling. With the FMB's, the outside edge would touch or be very close to the ceiling, when I make spkrs. parallel to the floor.

I am looking to mount my 7.1 backs in the ceiling about 2/3's of the way from front of room. I want be able to spin them around without climbing on a ladder to undo hardware (if possible), for when I want music towards the kitchen and dining room where people usually hang out.

I just started my search and ran across this Omnimount 20.0C. This has a 3/8" threaded stud. Is QS8 insert 3/8"?

Omnimount 20.0c (20 lb cap.)

I'd love to see how others have adapted to the (non-FMB) vaulted ceiling mounting of QS8's.

Thanks
I FINALLY placed my Axiom order tonight. Brent tells me the insert on back of the QS8 is 1/4-20 thread. Bummer, the Omnimount 20 lb brkt (above), needs a 3/8" to mount into. I guess I could make an adapter. The 10 lb Omni brkt is 1/4-20, but is shorter. It would yield about 2 1/4" top clearance. I think that is about what the FMB would be too.
So Dave what did you end up ordering?
I say get some fishnet type material, and hang that from the ceiling with the Q's safely inside, like a hammock.
 Originally Posted By: grunt
So Dave what did you end up ordering?

Well Dean, I must be a major people pleaser. I couldn't stand to 'dis either the M60 boys or M80 boys. I ORDERED A PAIR OF EACH! \:\) For the small price of a $60 return freight fee, I get to do a side by side a/b test to see how my 1909 sounds with each. I hope Brent meant that $60 was for a pair of towers, not each. Also a VP150 and 4 QS8's. That's a whopper of a charge to the the old Visa, so hopefully I WILL return one pair of towers. ;o)

So I am expecting them to ship in 4 weeks plus a week in transit to Calif. That makes them due on Good Friday. Ain't that a hoot. I will not be too disappointed if they happen to ship a bit early. And after all the hoopla, my wife and I decided on Mansfield Beech. I hope for y'all's sake these things work out. I'd hate to have to go all BOB on you guys! ;\)

Well maybe not. This community only needs one 'As The World Turns'! \:D
I may have missed something Dave, but are you not getting a subwoofer? An almost must for HT usage.....

By the way, I'll always have a place in my heart for my first Axiom system in Mansfield Beech back in 04......

Originally Posted By: sirquack
I say get some fishnet type material, and hang that from the ceiling with the Q's safely inside, like a hammock

Hmmmmn, Randy. Not a bad idea. I do live on the water, so the fishing theme might work. Oh, yeh, but I don't fish. I need to dig into my old water ski gear to see what I can muster up. You got me thinking now. \:\)
Randy, No I don't believe in subwoofers. I think they are way over rated.
Seriously Dave?...agreed that for music, a sub isn't necessary in a lot of cases but don't you think you'll be missing alot during movies?
Adrian,
No I do not think I am missing out on anything.
Gotcha...I was funnin' with Randy. I have three subs. A Paradigm Servo15 and two KLH 10" subs I had from before I got the REAL sub. :o)
Hook...line....and sinker, I fell for it!
See Dave, you are a good fisherman, OH and congrats on the purchase.

And I might as well say it, PICS are mandatory \:\)
Now I get to experience the challenging yet exhilarating 5 week (hopefully shorter) wait for Christmas morning! Or, as I mentioned, my five week 'due date' is GOOD FRIDAY. :o) I will post photos. Also, I'll post a novel on my thoughts on the A/B comparison of the M60 vs. the M80 fan clubs, er, I mean speakers. ;o) Since I could not decide, I ordered both pairs.
Dave,

Axiom makes a ceiling braket too. You can use it for vaulted ceilings.
 Originally Posted By: mdrew
Dave,

Axiom makes a ceiling bracket too. You can use it for vaulted ceilings.

Mdrew,
I am aware of the FMB ceiling bracket. I am looking for something where I can have more clearance between QS8 and the ceiling than the approx. 2" the FMB leaves. To me the FMB's look a bit bulky, and not to mention $56 each. $112 vs. $10. I just saved a hundred bucks on speaker purchase. :o)

Today at the local home improvement center, I came up with something to try.
- Use a white metal outlet cover that has a 1/2" pipe threaded hole (like used on outdoor spot lights)
- I bought a 1/2" x 24" galvanized pipe, threaded on both ends. I will cut the pipe in half (or something less than 12"). Drill a 1/4" hole through pipe on non threaded end. A bolt will go through pipe into the insert on the QS8
- Paint pipe white
- Thread pipe into outlet cover.
- Outlet cover will mount to ceiling rafter with two hefty lag bolts. Speaker wire will run up inside pipe, through cover, through 1/4" hole in the sheet rock.
- I'll make my wife belly crawl through the attic to run the wire (my back will be out big time or something that day! ;o)

I can swivel the QS8's towards kitchen easily by just reaching up and rotating (unscrew) them a half turn by hand.

Simple easy and $10 for both speakers! \:\)

I'm open to other ideas, but feel this might be a good one.
sounds like a killer idea to me. \:\)
Randy,
What the hardware or the idea of having my wife crawl through the attic? \:D
Man Dave, if you can get your wife to do that you found a good catch. \:\) Don't let that one go.....
They only give you two inches? Crap.... I was planning on useing them myself, but agree that 2" just ain't enough distance. I wonder why they would design them like that....

Considering that idea is now dead, I'll most likely make my ceiling mounts out of wood. Probably keep it simple and make a TEE bracket of sorts. Dovetail join the two peices together.
Hey Mike,

I believe Alan has mentioned and showed pictures that the 2" only applies if you leave them parallel to the ceiling. If you angle them down, a nice feature of the bracket, I believe that opens it up to 3-4", which he says was tested to be adequate...
Thanks Randy. One of the reasons I was going to use them, is so I could angle them down some. I sure do like the FMB's. They are hell for stout. The $100 or so for the brackets is worth it, when you consider the quality of the brackets. I could do pull ups off the FMB’s without worry and I'm not a dainty feller.
 Quote:
I could do pull ups off the FMB’s without worry and I'm not a dainty feller.

We would want pictures.

Wait.

That sounded a little gay, didn't it?
I think two inches is enough clearance to get most of the sound from the mid driver to reflect back down. These things thrive on reflections, remember.
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
These things thrive on reflections, remember.

You're making the baby vampires cry.
 Originally Posted By: sirquack
Hey Mike,

I believe Alan has mentioned and showed pictures that the 2" only applies if you leave them parallel to the ceiling. If you angle them down, a nice feature of the bracket, I believe that opens it up to 3-4", which he says was tested to be adequate...

Randy,
Thanks for that clarification.
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
 Quote:
I could do pull ups off the FMB’s without worry and I'm not a dainty feller.

We would want pictures.

Wait.

That sounded a little gay, didn't it?

Mark,
ROTFL!
But of course, "not that there's anything wrong with that."
Mike I've had a pair of Polk Audio speakers mounted using FMBs on the back patio for a couple of years and not only are they strong, they adapt very well to hostile environments. There is no sign of visible corrosion on our FMBs, which is impressive for our area because normally anything metal outside corrodes quickly due to the salt in the air.

A good product.
© Axiom Message Boards