Axiom Home Page
Posted By: PSpee Leviton SGAMP - 04/09/09 01:55 AM
Hi All-

Wondering if anyone has set up a few pairs of speakers using this device from Leviton called the SGAMP:

http://www.levitonproducts.com/catalog/dept_id_883/model_SGAMP-000.htm

I know it probably isn't nearly as good as a multi-channel amp, but I want to set up speakers in the Deck, Kitchen & Garage, and thought it might do the trick without costing too much money. Easier to deal with than the impedance matching volume controls. It goes for about $150 at home depot.

I've picked up a couple pairs of the T2 built in Axiom speakers for the install.

Anyone with warnings, alternatives, comments?

Many thanks,
peter
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Leviton SGAMP - 04/09/09 02:08 AM
Can't provide input on the leviton, but curious why you didn't go with the Axiom Algonquin outdoor speakers for the deck? They are cheaper, better performing than the T2's (they are like M3's), and can withstand outdoor conditions, even frigid temps.
Posted By: PSpee Re: Leviton SGAMP - 04/09/09 02:11 AM
In fact I did exactly that - sorry my message was incomplete. Got a couple pairs of T2s (for indoor) and the Algonquin outdoor speakers (for the deck).
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Leviton SGAMP - 04/09/09 02:36 AM
awesome, anxious to hear your feedback on the sound. Why not just use a receiver, most have different zones that you can direct the music to other rooms/speakers.
Posted By: PSpee Re: Leviton SGAMP - 04/09/09 04:13 AM
House is still under construction so it'll be sometime before it's all complete. Single receiver was my original thought, but not sure that its able to power so many zones by itself. Aside from the main home theater area, I think there will be 5 pairs of speakers connected.
Posted By: Zimm Re: Leviton SGAMP - 04/09/09 03:53 PM
Don't know why it would not work, but for sound quality a second amp would work better. For that price, you could a used 5.1 channel amp and add several degrees of flexibility without worrying about impedance matching. In short, I'm worried the sound quality of your design would suffer.
Posted By: PSpee Re: Leviton SGAMP - 04/09/09 05:15 PM
Thanks very much - that is my biggest worry.

Leviton also makes a 7 source, 6 zone amp which may do the trick. More wiring and I'm not sure I need all the flexibility it will bring, but at about $1500 it's a lot less than the $4000 that a local hi-fi shop quoted me for a multi zone system.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Leviton SGAMP - 04/09/09 08:12 PM
So your saying your going to be driving all the speakers at the same time? One room with 5.1, and garage, and the deck at the same time?
Posted By: apostrophe_bot Re: Leviton SGAMP - 04/10/09 03:02 AM
 Originally Posted By: sirquack
So your you're saying your you're going to be driving all the speakers at the same time?
  • Your indicates something you possess. Example: Your nuts hang low.
  • You're is a contraction of 'you' and 'are'. Example: You're nuts!

Posted By: PSpee Re: Leviton SGAMP - 04/10/09 03:06 AM
Yes - possibly everything at the same time.
Posted By: CV Re: Leviton SGAMP - 04/10/09 04:00 AM
 Originally Posted By: apostrophe_bot
Example: Your nuts hang low.

How do we really know you're not a comma? That example is a comma thing to say.
Posted By: apostrophe_bot Re: Leviton SGAMP - 04/10/09 04:07 AM
Do they wobble to and fro?
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Leviton SGAMP - 04/10/09 02:59 PM
 Originally Posted By: troll_bot
 Originally Posted By: sirquack
So your you're saying your you're going to be driving all the speakers at the same time?
  • Your indicates something you possess. Example: Your nuts hang low.
  • You're is a contraction of 'you' and 'are'. Example: You're nuts!

LMAO apostrophe_bot troll_bot \:D

Internet troll or simply troll in internet slang, is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response[1] or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.[2]

According to definition_bot, you're a troll

Posted By: medic8r Re: Leviton SGAMP - 04/10/09 03:06 PM
 Originally Posted By: Dr.House
... irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum ... with the primary intent ... to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

OMG - we're all trolls!
Posted By: fredk Re: Leviton SGAMP - 04/10/09 03:26 PM
That 'splains a lot!
© Axiom Message Boards