Axiom Home Page
Posted By: punisher101 Gaming and Axiom Speakers - 04/10/09 09:04 PM
Just wanted to get an idea from the Axiom owners. If you've hooked up your speakers to a gaming console like PS3 and XBOX360. How has your experience been?

Particularly interested to hear how 7.1 speakers play PS3 7.1 games like Killzone which has discrete 7.1 audio.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Gaming and Axiom Speakers - 04/10/09 09:29 PM
I have my xbox 360 hooked up through a toslink cable and ouputs in Dolby Digital 5.1 and games like Gears of War 1/2, Call of Duty 4, Rainbow Six Vegas, Resident Evil 5, Halo 3, Fallout 3 etc etc (the list just goes on and on) sound absolutely amazing and very realistic. I don't have a PS3 but the sound quality would be just as good. Killzone 2 I would imagine would have excellent sound.
Posted By: StuntGibbon Re: Gaming and Axiom Speakers - 04/11/09 12:14 AM
Generally I've found that if you're setup for home theater, you're also ideally setup for most games as well. I prefer to switch to stereo on Guitar Hero and Rock Band to try and limit the delay i get from my a/v processor. Metal Gear Solid 4 sounds pretty great in 7.1.

I haven't been quite as impressed with Killzone's sound as they seem to use a lot of fake sounding reverbs in their sound environments. Call of Duty World at War does a much better job as their sound renders to the environment directly in 3d. (so if you fire a weapon or blow up a grenade, you can hear that sound bounce around the environment.. back off buildings, etc.)

The new Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Athena also has really high quality sound, which I just picked up this week. I could probably build a more detailed list, but in off the top of my head here are some more that sound great: Flower, Frontline Fuels of War, BF: Bad Company, FEAR 2, Tomb Raider: Underworld, Resident Evil 5, Undertow (especially for LFE) and Legend of Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon (again big LFE).

Another game coming up soon with 7.1 sound if Prototype, which looks pretty fun.
Posted By: thefwam Re: Gaming and Axiom Speakers - 04/11/09 06:03 AM
+1 to everything they all say. good speakers are good speakers. My consoles sound excellent, never better
Posted By: Jappy Re: Gaming and Axiom Speakers - 04/11/09 03:57 PM
I also have an Xbox360 hooked up to my 5.1 setup. Sound is excellent and immersive. When I play Fallout 3 and something makes a noise in the distance coming up fromn the surrounds, my cat gets spooked every time thinking there's something in the house!
Posted By: Ascension Re: Gaming and Axiom Speakers - 04/13/09 05:04 PM
I love gaming on my axiom setup. It's funny how many of my friends and family want to come over just to play on my setup. The sounds are very realistic on well recorded games. I have the PS3 and Killzone for it, but I'm only getting discrete 5.1 on my 7.1 setup because of my AVR. It has a firmware upgrade fix to it, but my computer won't upgrade it for some reason.

Guitar Hero is just simply awesome on this setup! Gears of War 1 and 2 sounds fabulous and Killzone 2 sounds very realistic.
Posted By: StuntGibbon Re: Gaming and Axiom Speakers - 04/14/09 07:43 AM
Wipeout HD is another good one for the sound (and the game.)
Posted By: cb919 Re: Gaming and Axiom Speakers - 04/14/09 03:31 PM
+1 on Wipeout HD. My son and I love playing this in 7.1.
Posted By: Murph Re: Gaming and Axiom Speakers - 04/14/09 09:02 PM
PS3. Some of the games have much better surround effects and LFE than the majority of movies produced today. A Truly Amazing experience.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Gaming and Axiom Speakers - 04/14/09 09:19 PM
Can't comment on the 7.1, but I play 360 and ps3 on my epic 80/500 5.1 system frequently.

You have a serious advantage when playing online shooters... you can def. hear people creeping up behind you!
© Axiom Message Boards