Axiom Home Page
Posted By: terzaghi why separate 20 amp circuit? - 04/12/09 02:22 PM
I hear lots of folks say they have a separate 20 amp circuit ran for their theater rooms... Just wondering why this is done?

From a wiring standpoint what does this involve? Separate wire runs for the room tied back to its own spot on the breaker? A special 20 amp fuse?

Thanks.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: why separate 20 amp circuit? - 04/12/09 02:33 PM
Yes, when we say we have a seperate 20 amp circuit for our AV room stuff, it means we have a dedicated 20amp breaker and wiring run to that room.

People don't want refrigerators, humidifiers, lights from other rooms, etc. running on the same circuit and possibly causing interference. Plus, for some people, once you start adding the amps taken when everything is on and pushed to the limits, you want all those amps used for your equipment.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: why separate 20 amp circuit? - 04/12/09 05:31 PM
It would probably be better to run at least 2 and maybe 3 dedicated 20 amp lines for HT.

65" Mitsubishi Diamond 1080p
3 Yamaha M80 2 channel amplifiers
1 Integra M504 2 channel amplifier
Integra Processor
all the rest of the stuff.

That's a lot of watts.
Posted By: davekro Re: why separate 20 amp circuit? - 04/12/09 05:51 PM
 Originally Posted By: sirquack

People don't want refrigerators, humidifiers, lights from other rooms, etc. running on the same circuit and possibly causing interference.

(woo hoo, my sister-in-law let me use her laptop. \:\) )

I always wondered why the HT (w/o external amps) would need more than a 15 amp circuit. I forgot about all the 'other stuff poaching on the HT circuit'! \:D I will check what is actually on that circuit. If it is only lights and no fridge (compressor has high amp draw at start up), HVAC, etc., it may be ok. I could even add up the wattage of all lights on that circuit. But realistically, all lights would be off for most HT viewing.
Posted By: davekro Re: why separate 20 amp circuit? - 04/12/09 06:18 PM
 Originally Posted By: 2x6spds
It would probably be better to run at least 2 and maybe 3 dedicated 20 amp lines for HT.

65" Mitsubishi Diamond 1080p
3 Yamaha M80 2 channel amplifiers
1 Integra M504 2 channel amplifier
Integra Processor
all the rest of the stuff.

That's a lot of watts.

But before I'd go through the expense/ hastle of adding one or more dedicated circuits (especially if you planned on paying an electrician!), to check what was on that circuit. IF no appliances on it AND you do not have separates (just an AVR), you would probably be OK, right? As long as the amps neede at any particular time by the HT is available, is there any reason to add a second dedicated circuit. Purist's would say yes. But purists would likely have bigger or more amps than us AVR only folks. Hmmmn, I wil see what my 73" Misub DLP draws. If it and my 1909 add up to 10+ amps, I may take al the above back! ;\)
Posted By: terzaghi Re: why separate 20 amp circuit? - 04/12/09 08:18 PM
Thanks for the info. I am in the process of looking at homes to buy, (actually I am considering having one built from a local builder.) The home would not have a separate theater room (floor plan I am looking at is only 1450 SF total), but am wondering if I should have anything special done from an electrical standpoint in the living room for my gear. I would like to add a separate amp (axiom) and an ep800 to my epic 80/500 5.1 system at somepoint in the (probably distant) future. I already plan on having wiring for 5.1 surround ran through the living room (with a subwoofer cable ran to the back corner of the room). I can plug a sub in the front straight into the receiver and use the wired sub outlet to place a sub in the back eventually. Again, this is really just speculation at this point since I am not sure when I will be buying a house and if I would even go with new construction or purchase an existing home.

Posted By: Ascension Re: why separate 20 amp circuit? - 04/13/09 04:57 PM
I have my two subs, HK247 avr, ps3, xbox360, Optoma Projector, dvd player and motorolla settop box all on one 15a dedicated circuit. Have not had any problems or trips as of yet. I had an electrician install it this last summer when I was getting my two subs. I actually told him to do a 20a circuit, but found out he only did a 15a. No problems here though.
Posted By: RickF Re: why separate 20 amp circuit? - 04/13/09 09:00 PM
The only reason I have a couple (four) dedicated 20 amp circuits for our room is that prior to becoming our TV room it was a screened room with an in ground spa that had it's own breaker box separate and on the opposite side of the house from the main breaker box, it's pretty slick because the entire TV room is electrically separate and isolated from the remainder of the house.
Posted By: michael_d Re: why separate 20 amp circuit? - 04/14/09 12:38 AM
You also want to home run both neutral and line conductors from the receptacle back to the panel. Most home wiring circuits share neutrals, so you will get feedback from lighting circuits. Florescent are horribleā€¦
Posted By: davekro Re: why separate 20 amp circuit? - 04/14/09 03:35 AM
 Originally Posted By: RickF
The only reason I have a couple (four) dedicated 20 amp circuits for our room is that prior to becoming our TV room it was a screened room with an in ground spa that had it's own breaker box separate and on the opposite side of the house from the main breaker box, it's pretty slick because the entire TV room is electrically separate and isolated from the remainder of the house.

Dedicated 20 amp circuits are for wimpy systems. Rick has 220v baby! ;\)
Posted By: davekro Re: why separate 20 amp circuit? - 04/14/09 03:36 AM
 Originally Posted By: mdrew
You also want to home run both neutral and line conductors from the receptacle back to the panel. Most home wiring circuits share neutrals, so you will get feedback from lighting circuits. Florescent are horribleā€¦

Interesting... If there was feedback, what would it sound like?
Posted By: michael_d Re: why separate 20 amp circuit? - 04/14/09 02:07 PM
Bzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Posted By: Wid Re: why separate 20 amp circuit? - 04/14/09 02:27 PM
\:D
Posted By: davekro Re: why separate 20 amp circuit? - 04/14/09 03:21 PM
Oh, That's different from the WAF feedback one might usually here with HT! \:D

I occasionally (not often) hear popping and buzz for ≈ 3 seconds from one sub and my computer speakers. They are on a different circuit than the HT. I will try to relate it to an electrical ocurance (like fridge turns on, etc.), next time.

Seriously, would the feed back be more consistant than intermitant?
(or is that inter mutant)

.... Rick, OK which is it? Bzzzzzzz or \:D . They are very different 'feedbacks'! (but Rick, your 'feedback' is always welcome. ;\) )
Posted By: Wid Re: why separate 20 amp circuit? - 04/14/09 04:13 PM
Dave, if you have a ground loop problem it would be a constant humming or buzzing sound. Here is Alan's article on ground loops.
Posted By: davekro Re: why separate 20 amp circuit? - 04/14/09 05:00 PM
Rick,
Oh, now I remember now. I had that on my boat stereo and it was constant. Thanks for the reminder.

Well, I checked all the draws on the circuit with my HT. No fridge, but LOTS of lights plus an early 90's 52" DLP AND a room/window A/C unit which will run occasionally in the summer.

Dedicated 20 amp circuit for HT is now on the to do list. (way down, but on it! ;\) )
© Axiom Message Boards