Axiom Home Page
Posted By: fab5valentine Bracket for QS8's - 04/16/09 02:01 AM
Anyone have a good solution for ceiling brackets for QS8's. I'm using omnimount10's and they aren't cutting it. Omni20's will need to be reduced to a 1/4-20 to fit. I have 9' ceiling and I'd like to drop them down a bit as well so I don't have to angle them so agresively a couple more inches would be fine. Any suggestions?
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Bracket for QS8's - 04/16/09 03:36 AM
I'm considering getting the Omni 20's to give me a bit of angle, I have 9ft ceilings but the speakers are currently attached to a drop down area that is 7ft off the floor.

My DIY Menards shelf brackets.

Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Bracket for QS8's - 04/16/09 03:51 AM
It looks like the entire wire is going into the red binding post on the speaker ?
Posted By: fab5valentine Re: Bracket for QS8's - 04/16/09 03:53 AM
Look nice! Graet job! I'm considering the 20's as well. Looks as if I could thread them farther back lop off an inch and fab a plug as a 3/8 to 1/4 adapter.. Thanks for the pics!!
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Bracket for QS8's - 04/16/09 04:03 AM
I've been trying to figure out the adapter thing as well. \:\)
Posted By: davekro Re: Bracket for QS8's - 04/16/09 04:24 AM
 Originally Posted By: Dr.House
It looks like the entire wire is going into the red binding post on the speaker ?

Yea Randy, you might want to consider using both binding posts. That poor speaker can't tell if it's a comin' or a goin'! \:D

I saw your same brackets at Lowes (in black and white). If I did not need to swivel my speakers 180º towards kitchen occasionally, I would have bought some to see if I could bend the small egdes near the corner to allow the bracket to be bent another 20º to 30º past 90º. Might be worth trying on one of the pretty inexpensive brackets.

Randy, you found a picture long ago of a 1/4" to 3/8" adapter. Did you not find a place selling those? I just went looking to a place I have found any hardware before, but I could not find an adapter like you showed a month or two ago.
McMaster Carr hardware
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Bracket for QS8's - 04/16/09 12:39 PM
Yeah Dave, I think I just did a google search for "3/8-16 to 1/4-20 adapter". If I decide to get the Omni's I'll have to get more serious, maybe check some local stores.

valentine, what is is that is not "cutting it" for the Omni 10's?
Posted By: fab5valentine Re: Bracket for QS8's?? - 04/16/09 05:57 PM
Speaks are too heavy at 13.5 lbs.. They only allow the QS8 to hang down a couple of inches from the ceiling.. Angling them into the area buys me 5" at the trailing edge but difficult to tighten as there is still NOT much room at the back edge to produce this angle, and the speak wants to "fall" into that position anyhow so I'm uneasy of how well it's tightened/supported. The omni20's are rated higher to accept the weight, the bar is a bit longer allows it to come more into the recommended 6" from the ceiling, plus it will still tilt.. The Axiom sites sells a good product it appears, only it really doesn't have the lenghth to put the top of the QS8 6" from ceiling as the manual specifies. However Axiom CS stated they'll work fine closer to the ceiling than the spcified 6", but being I have 9' ceilings I don't mind putting the 8's down a bit so they re not so compacted to the ceiling..

I'm sorry to ramble.. It would be sooo great if I had a sidewall option.. Just currious as to what is the preffered installation recomendation from users that use ceiling mounted QS8's

I'm a machinist/mech tecnician you'd think I'd come up with something.. \:o
Posted By: jakewash Re: Bracket for QS8's?? - 04/16/09 06:35 PM
 Originally Posted By: fab5valentine

I'm a machinist/mech tecnician you'd think I'd come up with something.. \:o
No kidding and then you could market it for the rest of us. I am thinking with the prevalent option for new homes being a 9' or taller ceiling, a much longer ceiling mount would sell well.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Bracket for QS8's?? - 04/16/09 06:40 PM
Fab, those are exactly my thoughts about going from a Omni 10 to a 20. The longer length would be perfect, and the added stability should easily hold the Qs8's in the angled position... Keep us posted on what you do, I may follow your steps. ;\)
Posted By: davekro Re: Bracket for QS8's?? - 04/17/09 05:15 AM
 Originally Posted By: jakewash
I am thinking with the prevalent option for new homes being a 9' or taller ceiling, a much longer ceiling mount would sell well.

[cross posted from my 'Speakers have arrived! Question' thread.]

Well, I finally got around (almost) finishing my DIY QS8 brackets. Here are my home made brackets. All it took was some imagination, a sawsall, a big hammer and some paint. (One could add something to cover the threads and casting markings before painting, for a pro finish)

First I bought a galvanized flange with a 1/2" pipe thread, but decided to use a bigger one with 1" pipe thread which I adapted down to 1/2" pipe. I wanted a little bigger footprint on the ceiling, but any size would work. I'll shoot from the hip rate these brackets at 100 lbs. (or whatever two 5/16" x 2 1/2" lag bolts into a 2x4 rafter will hold. That would be the weak link, if you can call it that.) \:\)

I bought a 2' piece of 1/2" galv. pipe, which was threaded on both ends intending to cut it in the middle leaving two pieces threaded on one end. I had no idea how long I wanted each pipe section. When I figured it out today, each was cut to 6" long.

I tried to squish flat in my vise, No go. Out came the small hand held sledge and I flattened the pipe about 3/4 of the way up towards the threaded end. I left enough space in flattened pipe so the speaker wire could pass through the flat end of the brkt, up through the pipe, them through the ceiling (hole angled off sharply to mostly miss the 2x4 rafter). I still need to drill 1/4" holes for the QS8s an inch or so from the end of the flat part. I wrapped the round end with a towel and put it in a vise. Then used a larger pipe to bend the flat portion to 27º. Lastly, I evened out the mating surface on the grinder so it would be perfectly flush to speaker.

Obviously the pipe could extend down at far as you like and bend or not bend the end. Tomorrow I will tighten the bushing to seat it further down in the base. Then I will give them a few coats of white paint. The pipe will thread in just before hand tight. That way I can easily reach up and rotate the speakers 180º towards the back half of the room when we are there and want to listen to 7 ch stereo or what ever. Between the ceiling and the flange, I will sandwich in a thin coaster to protect the ceiling texture.

First step- materials I had already primed the flanges.

The primered QS8 brackets with 27º bend to tilt Qs down toward listening position.

The costs (from memory) were about.
flange ≈ $6.50
2' 1/2" galv. pipe nipple ≈ $3.00
1" to 1/2" galv bushing ≈ $3.50
So about $14 each not including paint which I had.

I'll be glad to get rid of the 8' towers! ;\)
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Bracket for QS8's?? - 04/17/09 05:25 AM
You certainly don't mess around. \:\)

I'm sure you measured and all that, but 6" seems a little short to make the QS8 stand off from the ceiling enough.
Posted By: davekro Re: Bracket for QS8's?? - 04/17/09 06:11 AM
Peter,

I actually was actually doing my final measurements when the (M2 sized) bookshelves were on my stands on inc from the ceiling. This afternoon I was actually thinking I might go with direct firing for the backs since the Qs kept being set to 150Hz x-over by Audyssey/1909. I just went and checked the bracket on the Q's. If I put the 1/4" mtg hole 1" from the end (2" would have been a little better), the 27º tilt has the top of the 5 1/4" surround rubber 4 1/2" from ceiling, while the lower part of the surround would be 6 1/2". I don't know if I would have wanted them lower anyway. Good thought though. You did catch me designing to another speaker. ;o)
Posted By: davekro DIY swivel ceiling brackets - 04/18/09 08:29 AM
I finished the brackets. Now all I need to do is commit to how far to separate them and drill the holes in the ceiling! ;\)
12' apart is at ≈ 135º. 10' apart is ≈ 150º. So I am in Dolby's range. I just gotta decide.

Anyway Fab, IF you wanted to swivel mid ceiling back speakers, this is one way to do it.

I put both wires into the positive binding post like Randy said to do. ;\)
(well it 'looks' that way anyway. ;o)

Posted By: CV Re: DIY swivel ceiling brackets - 04/18/09 08:40 AM
You're missing a puzzle piece.

Nice brackets.
Posted By: davekro Re: DIY swivel ceiling brackets - 04/18/09 08:48 AM
Charles, ssshhhhh. don't tell my wife. She hates it when I drop pieces on the floor (for the dog to find )

thanks
Posted By: fab5valentine Re: DIY swivel ceiling brackets - 04/21/09 02:45 AM
Thanks guys,, Nice DIY project.. I also have an idea simillaer to the looks of your set up with a no tool anlge adjustment and swivel.. Great ideas though..

Davkro:Disco Bay.. Born and raised in Livermore, now in Vegas..
Posted By: Adrian Re: DIY swivel ceiling brackets - 04/21/09 08:22 PM
Dave, I would suggest you put a regular washer, then a lock washer on the screw attaching the QS8s, for safety. Don't want to switch on the Eleven O'clock news....Man killed by falling quadpolar speaker, it is believed while listening to "Master and Commander" at 105db, a screw came lose on the bracket, causing the speaker to fall and beaned the unsuspecting victim on the head.
Posted By: fredk Re: DIY swivel ceiling brackets - 04/21/09 08:54 PM
Bang bang Davo's brand new QS8 came down uppon his head...
Posted By: SirQuack Re: DIY swivel ceiling brackets - 04/22/09 01:27 AM
Not a bad thought Adrian, I will say that my hex head bolts, no washers, are just as snug as the day I mounted them. Still, not a bad idea..
Posted By: davekro Re: DIY swivel ceiling brackets - 04/22/09 06:17 AM
 Originally Posted By: fab5valentine
Thanks guys,, Nice DIY project.. I also have an idea simillaer to the looks of your set up with a no tool anlge adjustment and swivel.. Great ideas though..

Davkro:Disco Bay.. Born and raised in Livermore, now in Vegas..

Fab,
Oh, so you moved to cooler weather! ha ha!
Posted By: fab5valentine Re: DIY swivel ceiling brackets - 04/22/09 12:23 PM
davekro.. Well there's some truth to that.. Last Wed. it was in the 30's with snow dusted mountains, this Wed (today) 96 deg..
-fab5
Posted By: davekro Re: DIY swivel ceiling brackets - 04/23/09 06:49 AM
Fab5,
We're ex neighbors, call me Dave.
© Axiom Message Boards