Axiom Home Page
Posted By: grunt Home Theater Seating - 06/02/09 07:03 PM
I discovered this weekend that my futon is an acoustic “black hole.” I had been playing with speaker placement/settings and had things sounding as good as any of the audio shops I demoed speakers at. So I moved out the mattress/box spring combo I was sitting on and set up the futon to have “proper" seating for others. Fired up a favorite CD and found the futon completely sucked the life out of the room. Now I guess I need to rearrange the order I purchase some things and proper seating just moved up on the list.

There seem to be tonnes of different options unfortunately most of them are not available to try locally so I’m looking for recommendations.

I’m assuming most seating will suck less energy from the room since It’s constructed more like the mattress/box spring than a futon but if anyone knows of the least acoustically absorbing material/style please share. Like is leather better than cloth at not absorbing as much high frequencies?

Also I’m looking for at least one seat that is comfortable enough to sit in for most of a weekend. This single seat does not have to be usable with the group seating.

I will probably start with one row seating 3-4 people but may also add a second row too.

Any suggestions on how to do the seating are appreciated.

Thanks,
Dean
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Home Theater Seating - 06/02/09 07:16 PM
 Originally Posted By: grunt
one seat that is comfortable enough to sit in for most of a weekend.

Dean, I have nothing to offer in terms of help.... but also have nothing but admiration for your bachelor life! \:\)
Posted By: Golden Re: Home Theater Seating - 06/02/09 07:38 PM
There used to be a special with one of the HT seating companies through AVS Forum for members... you might want to check that out if you are looking to go the professional seating route. Unfortunately I am completely blanking on the details.

Another fun place to browse is SeatsandChairs.com in their Home Theater section.
Posted By: Zimm Re: Home Theater Seating - 06/02/09 08:51 PM
Here is the chair I want - the guest can grab a bean bag or bring their own!
The Chair
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Home Theater Seating - 06/03/09 12:59 AM
I like that chair, Ken!

I'm guessing it's thousands of dollars? (please oh please be $50)
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Home Theater Seating - 06/03/09 02:37 AM
I found a free chair for you. Unfortunately, it's nothing buy photons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MomNfLGOLg
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Home Theater Seating - 06/03/09 03:28 AM
Are those massaging photons?

With lumbar support?

Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Home Theater Seating - 06/03/09 04:13 AM
Look!! A *ahem* cheap knock-off!
Posted By: grunt Re: Home Theater Seating - 06/03/09 06:41 AM
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson

Dean, I have nothing to offer in terms of help.... but also have nothing but admiration for your bachelor life!

Thanks Mark! I hesitate to say it and jinx myself but life’s good right now.

Originally Posted By: St_PatGuy

I'm guessing it's thousands of dollars?

Yes!. With emphasis on the “s.” $50 will get you the cheapest upholstery but only on the chair or the ottoman not both. However, it might be the most acustically friendly comfortable design I’ve seen. That “cheep” knockoff might fit the bill.

Thanks for the links I’ll may go with a lounge chair style for myself and more conventional HT seating like in Sam’s link for when I have quests.
Posted By: grunt Re: Home Theater Seating - 06/20/09 05:07 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I decided to pick up three of these for right now.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11467962

I found it very comfortable with good lumbar support (something I need). The recline angle locks in staying where I exactly where I want it. Swivels easily making it easy to get up w/o stepping over the ottoman. Hopefully the design will minimize sound absorption compared to more traditional seats.
Posted By: fredk Re: Home Theater Seating - 06/20/09 05:11 AM
My dad has a chair something like that. Its very comfortable.
Posted By: Golden Re: Home Theater Seating - 06/20/09 02:28 PM
That looks like a very comfortable combo, and at a great price. It always kills me when I am dragged to Macy's (or the like) and I check out their furniture... that same chair and ottoman would be marked between $800 and $1000 easily.

Looks like you will be enjoying your music and film in style!
© Axiom Message Boards