Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Crimson Wrath First new system, going Axiom - 06/30/09 02:26 PM
Hello, new audio person here!

I plan on pulling the trigger on a new 5.0 system within the next week or so, and after research and consideration I've decided to go with Axiom. This will be my first sound system. I have had my Pioneer Kuro 6010FD (8th Gen) for about 1.5 years now and have used only the TV speaker since it was delivered. (Yes, I realize I've created a huge AV sin using such a great TV with no real speakers, but would like to repent now )

I will use this for music (mostly trance/dance and a bit of classical at times,) video games, movies and TV. More of music, games and movies than TV...probably 40%/20%/30%/10%, respectfully.

My receiver will be the Pioneer VSX-919AH-K that has everything I need, with 7.1 capability for when I can move to a bigger place and add additional speakers. My input devices include a PS3, HD Satellite box, and my PC via DVI-HDMI connection. All connections will use HDMI.

Axiom Plan:

2 M60s
1 VP150 Center
2 QS8 Surrounds
No sub
(All in Cherry Chestnut wood semi gloss VaSSallo series...will look great in apartment I think) -- No bearing on sound I realize

My room is as follows: 15' L 14' W 8' H

I should be able to place surrounds and fronts in or almost in the Dolby recommended placement spots, with about 8-10ft of viewing distance from sofa to TV.

A rather crude drawing is made there of the layout, with the sofa across from TV on opposite end, with surrounds, fronts and center speaker. The kitchen bar is completely open space, so the size of the sound area is actually quite a bit lager than the front room dimensions I guess. I don't think I can get away with a sub, making this a 5.1. I live in an apartment with relatively thin walls, and have had my upstairs neighbor (granted an old hag that would complain about every little bump) would complain about my bass from my PC Altec Lansing sub with my 2.1 speakers. I think the M60s should do just fine with bass I need.

I realize that I could perhaps go with bookshelf fronts and the smaller VP100 center and possibly the QS4 surrounds given my room size, but I would like to go all out with probably more power than needed, rather than not have enough (times of the day I'm the only one in the building and will set them to full power!) I also may be in a bigger place one day.

As for speaker wiring, I plan on getting the surrounds wire to the front by pushing it along the edge of the right wall next to carpet...this should not be much of a problem I think, at least I hope not. I'll of course use good quality Monster cables for the best possible quality...(joking, I'll get them from Monoprice hehe...) I think 50 feet of 16 gauge or 14 gauge should do it, not sure which though. The wire on Axiom's site is extremely expensive compared to others.

I think that just about covers everything that I can think of. Please give any suggestions or comments that you may have, as I'd greatly appreciate them. Thanks!
Posted By: dewd Re: First new system, going Axiom - 06/30/09 03:02 PM
The bass in the M60's will likely upset your neighbor as well. Perhaps invite her over to watch "Gone With the Wind" and she will be your friend. \:\)

Check this out: http://www.wiremold.com/diy/products/cordmate_2.asp Makes running wires along the wall a bit neater. You can buy them at Home Depot.
Posted By: Crimson Wrath Re: First new system, going Axiom - 06/30/09 03:22 PM
wow, that stuff looks extremely simple and easy to install...that beats the thought of jamming two surround speaker wires together in the corners...thanks!
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: First new system, going Axiom - 06/30/09 03:28 PM
Welcome to the forum Crimsonwrath.

You picked out an excellent system. Its a shame you can't use a sub in your apartment but the M60's should put out adequate bass when running full range.

I would also recommend you pick up more than 50 feet of speaker wire, I don't think that will be enough since the wire has to be run up the walls for the surrounds and you also want a little slack so you do not stress any of the connections. Monoprice wire is so cheap anyways mine as well keep a little extra to have on hand say 80-100 ft.

Cheers!
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: First new system, going Axiom - 06/30/09 03:50 PM
Definitely get a 100 foot spool of 14 gauge wire.

I think the M60's are wonderful, and I'm sure you will enjoy them and the VaSSallo finish.

Since you are using the system half the time for games and movies, a sub would be a meaningful addition. I don't think that a sub is going to be any more annoying to your neighbors than the M60's; it all depends on volume.

Enjoy your journey!
Posted By: Crimson Wrath Re: First new system, going Axiom - 06/30/09 04:39 PM
hmmm...interesting. I have to confess I will be making this big investment without ever actually hearing these speakers first, which I realize may be a mistake. Axiom's 30 day policy is one of the reasons I chose them though, among the many other reasons. Really all I'm used to hearing are TV speakers and cheap PC speakers and a few HTIBs, so I have little knowledge of how much a sub can produce compared to certain fronts. I think I may start with the 5.0, then if I get no complaints for a couple weeks, I'll just add the sub then and THEN wait for the complaints hehe. Thanks.
Posted By: davidsch Re: First new system, going Axiom - 06/30/09 05:23 PM
Welcome to the forum. I think that you have made some great choices for your current living arrangement. I am sure that you will be glad that you chose the real wood finish as well. Send some pictures when you get them set up.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: First new system, going Axiom - 06/30/09 05:40 PM
I think it could be said that, technically we never get to hear any speaker until they're in the main listening environment i.e. your own home.

Maybe others can comment on this, but listening to speakers in a store vs. not hearing them until you receive them, is somewhat comparable because our environment plays a huge impact on how speakers sound.

Any validity to this, guys?
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: First new system, going Axiom - 06/30/09 05:50 PM
You are totally correct Cam, the room can have a big impact and the only way one can know how the system would sound is to listen to it in your own home. IMO the things that REALLY matter when it comes to great sound or will impact sound quality is the speakers, the room acoustics and the quality of the recording you are feeding the speakers.
Posted By: Ajax Re: First new system, going Axiom - 06/30/09 05:50 PM
Agree completely, Cam. It is my contention that, next to the speakers, themselves, the room - its size, shape, furnishings and surfaces - will have the greatest effect on how an audio system will sound. Listening in a store has some value. It will give you a good idea of what the speakers sound like. But, place them in your own room and you may be in for a noticeable difference.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: First new system, going Axiom - 06/30/09 06:07 PM
Crimsonwrath,

A subwoofer definitely adds to the HT experience. If you like your bass, movies IMO would be lacking. Nothing beats a good subwoofer for video games and movies that have incredible dynamic range and that go really low in the LFE department. For 2 channel music listening alone though I could go without a sub
Posted By: JohnK Re: First new system, going Axiom - 07/01/09 01:33 AM
Red, welcome. Your proposed setup should allow you to enjoy great sound(especially the classical music, of course), although the old hag will probably complain even about the M60s.

As to the speaker wiring, for the distances that you'll be running 16ga is plenty.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: First new system, going Axiom - 07/01/09 02:25 AM
Red, where are you located? If you wanted to audition some m60's maybe you can find someone nearby who can show them off.

ps- welcome to the forum!
Posted By: Crimson Wrath Re: First new system, going Axiom - 07/01/09 11:22 AM
I checked out where some demo locations were listed in NC, and nothing I found was remotely close.

Also...I'm getting quite a few suggestions regarding the same issue, and that's to get a bookshelf center for vertical placement rather than a horizontal one, as this can make the center sound more appropriate. I've read ideally that really getting 3 of the same fronts (M60s or M80s) is best...however that would make it quite awkward to position given my space and setup. How much difference can this really make? I see this is a big debatable issue with lots of opinions out there on it.
Posted By: Ajax Re: First new system, going Axiom - 07/01/09 05:02 PM
Just my 2 cents.

I believe the ideal is to have 3 identical speakers across the front. But, like you, for most of us that is an impractical solution due to room and setup limitations. That is precisely why speaker manufacturers design and produce horizontal center channel speakers. When they design these centers, they do their level best to voice them so they fit as seamlessly as possible with the rest of their speaker line.

If one can easily use an identical speaker as a center channel, by all means do so. If that is impossible or even inconvenient, I don't believe one is sacrificing all that much by using a well designed horizontal center from the same folks that designed the L & R fronts. YMMV.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: First new system, going Axiom - 07/01/09 07:00 PM
I use the VP150 and I feel no need to try anything else for my centre channel.
Posted By: Zimm Re: First new system, going Axiom - 07/01/09 11:17 PM
That is a very nice system out the box. You may never need to upgrade. The difference between your prior experience and this system will be a shock (to you and the neighbors). And for that reason, unless price is no issue, I would put the sub on hold. It does add great things, but you are adding so much that you won't miss the sub in a small room. Down the road, once you get used to the system, or get a bigger room that sucks up bass, you can upgrade (small u, not big U). For now, you will appreciate your M60s that much more.

Enjoy.

Oh, and don't listen to that B.S. about speaker wire. It is 99% of the sound! Maybe a tad less, but well over 10%!
© Axiom Message Boards