Axiom Home Page
Posted By: rage96 Online Music - 07/28/09 01:14 PM
What I would like to know is there another site like Rhapsody for Canada.

I have tons of MP3's and most sound like garbage, so I thought if I want to get good audio I guess its time to pay. I spent about 30mins last night looking over Rhapsody site and thought why not try then its only for USA.

Do you think if I got a USA IP they would let me use the site but then again to pay them would be from a Canadian MasterCard.

Can anyone help me out and no "Itunes" please I refuse to pay 1$ a song that's why Rhapsody sounded so good.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Online Music - 07/28/09 01:50 PM
I am personally using eMusic.com to try out new composers, new conductors or new labels. Prices are reasonable (~25-30cents a track) and it is the labels themselves that are promoting the site so legal-wise, it is hard to beat!
Posted By: cb919 Re: Online Music - 07/28/09 02:13 PM
Hi Rage,
Good timing on the question. I just went through the same issue and yesterday signed up for Napster (yup it's still around!). For a flat rate of $10/month you get unlimited streaming and downloads. The quality is 128kb wma files so it's not like FLAC quality, but for casual listening it's fine. I will try it for a few months and see how much I really like it, but so far so good. Let us know what you discover or go with. Cheers.
Posted By: fredk Re: Online Music - 07/29/09 01:34 AM
I checked out Napster for my Daughter a couple of years ago (she prefers to download for free...) and $10 a month seems reasonable for the ability to sample new music legally.
Posted By: cb919 Re: Online Music - 07/29/09 02:48 PM
Fred - yup, that's the same conclusion I have finally arrived at. While there are many ways you can get your music for free, to me the unlimited streaming of anything you want was a big plus. No need to find it, download or rip it, copy it to your preferred location, update your media library etc etc... just to listen to something on a whim.

Now I do a quick search and press play - done! I can even save it or download it for easy access later.

I should mention I also use the Sonos system and Napster just plugs and plays nicely with it.

In my mental justification for this, I just switched phone providers and am saving over $20/month, so in my mind I get Napster for free and am still $10/month ahead. Makes sense, no? \:D
© Axiom Message Boards