Axiom Home Page
Posted By: mikeak In-Ceilings - 07/31/09 04:59 AM
So I am set on getting in-ceilings. Not the ones on an arm like Axiom offers, but real in-ceiling speakers. I know the trade-offs, but I will set them up and if I don't like them they will go in the bar / pool room where they will just be used for party music etc so I can't loose.

With that said I am still shopping for my main speakers. It is down to Axiom 80s/60s, RC-70s or Emotiva. So Emotiva recommended some in-ceilings that will match very well with them (Artison). Can someone here recommend something that goes along with the 80s/60s? I am looking for four of them to make up the rears in a 7.1 system. 90% HT and 10% music. Two rows of seating so need the sound to spread out

Thanks!
Posted By: michael_d Re: In-Ceilings - 07/31/09 05:22 PM
Can you clarify? You want in ceiling speakers to use for the Surround Backs? Did I interpret you correctly?

Shoot me a PM if you want to hear some M80's, as well as other Axiom speakers. It would mean a road trip, but I'm sure you're used to that.....
Posted By: Adrian Re: In-Ceilings - 07/31/09 06:28 PM
mikeak, re your mains, I think you'll find the RC-70s(which I also auditioned) have a very different sound than Axioms. Although I respect Energy as a speaker company, I felt that the RC's were "muffled" when compared to speakers such as Axiom, Paradigm and Monitor Audio's to shortlist a handfull of speakers I auditioned. I can't comment on Emotiva speakers having not heard them, but I suspect they are well built as many of Emo's products seem to be.

Unless you really NEED to have in-ceiling speakers, the QS8's are a very compact(heavy little suckers) and quite unobtrusive when wall mounted on the included T-brackets.
Posted By: mikeak Re: In-Ceilings - 07/31/09 08:23 PM
Sorry for the unclear first post.

So yes I need to have in-ceilings. Not really an option right now. If they turn out to be "horrible" or even not good actually then I have made the honest effort that makes everyone happy and I will move them to another room and get something else. So with that said if you bought the 60s / 80s and had to go with in-ceilings are there any suggestions?

If I can figure out a decent match then I will most likely go with the Axiom speakers.

Adrian -- where are you at? I am in Alaska so pretty much everything here is a roadtrip, but if you are not in AK then it is pretty much a no-go \:\)
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: In-Ceilings - 07/31/09 08:28 PM
Axiom have T2 that are in-wall speakers that can be put in-ceiling.
Posted By: mikeak Re: In-Ceilings - 07/31/09 08:50 PM
I saw that, but I really don't like that square look in the ceiling... mostly a preference thing
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: In-Ceilings - 07/31/09 08:59 PM
Have a look at JBL's LS360C. Before I found out about Axiom, I was looking at JBL's LS series. I didn't listen to the in-ceilings, but the rest of the range was impressive.

Though now, I'd not trade my QS8s for anything I heard before.
Posted By: michael_d Re: In-Ceilings - 07/31/09 09:34 PM
 Originally Posted By: mikeak

Adrian -- where are you at? I am in Alaska so pretty much everything here is a roadtrip, but if you are not in AK then it is pretty much a no-go \:\)

Were you asking Adrian or me?? I'm in Alaska. PM me for more info.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: In-Ceilings - 07/31/09 09:52 PM
I don't think you're going to be able to get Axiom-level performance from in-ceiling speakers without spending a retarded amount of money (like Speakercraft, Niles, Sonance, et. al.), and even then, I am really skeptical that the notion of timbre matching is worth seriously considering. No in-ceiling speaker is going to "sound like an M80".

Personally, if I were stuck with in-ceiling speakers, I'd just get them from HTD and spend any extra on something I KNEW was going to make a meaningful difference.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: In-Ceilings - 07/31/09 11:30 PM
For surround speakers, I would not recommend ceiling speakers as it defeats the whole purpose of proper setup.
Posted By: mikeak Re: In-Ceilings - 08/01/09 03:12 AM
Is there anyway to ceiling mount the QS8s or that would go completely against how they are constructed considering that they put out from the top and bottom as well?
Posted By: grunt Re: In-Ceilings - 08/01/09 03:49 AM
 Originally Posted By: mikeak
Is there anyway to ceiling mount the QS8s or that would go completely against how they are constructed considering that they put out from the top and bottom as well?

Here is one way but I’m sure you could come up with a DIY method that costs less. All you need is a few inches above the top driver to allow it to perform. One advantage of these brackets, however, is adjusting the speakers orientation after it’s mounted.

http://www.axiomaudio.com/fullmetalceilingbracket.html
Posted By: mikeak Re: In-Ceilings - 08/03/09 10:31 PM
Well I am going to go with a non Axiom brand for the rears.

I am getting 4 Speakercraft AIM WIDE ONE

Benefit with these is the design to spread the sound which I need for my 2nd row of seating. If I am not to happy with them then they go over the pool table and I setup in-walls / QS8s all the way in the back and move my second set to above the first row of seating. Don't think that can go wrong

Now I am going to post asking if someone is powering the 80s with the SC-07 / SC-05 \:\)

Thanks for the input guys I did listen even if I went a different route. Now if I don't like the route I went I will know where to go from there.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: In-Ceilings - 08/04/09 12:04 AM
People seem to really like the Speakercraft products. Please let us know how they work in your system.
Posted By: mikeak Re: In-Ceilings - 08/07/09 04:24 PM
Tom -- will do. They should ship the first of next week. I actually ended up with two Aim Wide one and two Aim8 one.

The wide will go as the rear back since unfortunately those are located between the first and second row. I figure at this point it gives me 7.1 for the first row and "5.1" for the second row \:\)

Now the other two speakers are in front of the first row so I altered those to two speakers with the same specs except it is a tweeter that can be angled towards the back of the room to push sound in that direction.

I think that is the right setup - we shall see
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: In-Ceilings - 08/07/09 04:54 PM
Very nice! Speakercraft makes an excellent product. Enjoy!
© Axiom Message Boards