Axiom Home Page
Posted By: BlueJays1 Electricity Issue - Voltage drops - 08/15/09 10:40 PM
Been getting a lot of thunder/lightning storms this summer, seems like a few times a week. Some worse than others...lost power numerous time but no issues thus far.

Today we have been getting voltage drops. The lights dim and fans slow down. I have not noticed any other problems. It doesn't seem to effect any audio/vido equipment or the computers. What equipment/appliances should you worry about when this occurs. This is obviously not normal and how serious is this?
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Electricity Issue - Voltage drops - 08/15/09 10:58 PM
Computers can be very sensitive depending on their power supply. Quick voltage drop can be enough for resets and loss of data. If you have a lot of these, a simple UPS might be a good idea. No need for a multi-hours one, just enough so that if it is just a glitch, your equipment won't notice, if it is a true failure, then you'll get a clean shutdown.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Electricity Issue - Voltage drops - 08/15/09 11:24 PM
Thanks for that info. Now since you mention that last week on the computer it just reset itself a couple of times . It was doing it during a thunder storm with heavy rain though and we did not lose any power that night. Hmmm, I wonder if this was occuring before today. Could this cause any damage to sump pumps?
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Electricity Issue - Voltage drops - 08/15/09 11:42 PM
No idea about sump pumps!
Posted By: Adrian Re: Electricity Issue - Voltage drops - 08/16/09 03:53 AM
Quite possible the sump pump(s) are causing the drop if they are running constantly during or after a good rainstorm. That could be especially so, I would think, if you had two going.

Lol, when I turn on my Denon AVR, the lights in the family room dip for a second.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Electricity Issue - Voltage drops - 08/16/09 01:13 PM
 Quote:
when I turn on my Denon AVR, the lights in the family room dip for a second.

When I turn on my TV, the IQ of the family dips for a second.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Electricity Issue - Voltage drops - 08/16/09 01:55 PM
\:D \:D !!!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Electricity Issue - Voltage drops - 08/16/09 08:47 PM
I see your problem. Just change your default channel from Fox News to anything else, and then the second it takes you to change to something else will be eliminated.
Posted By: Wid Re: Electricity Issue - Voltage drops - 08/16/09 08:59 PM

Fox news is the best, watch it all the time.
Posted By: SRoode Re: Electricity Issue - Voltage drops - 08/16/09 09:06 PM
It depends on the type of load. Motors will typically draw more current at lower voltage (since power remains constant for an induction motor) and could theoretically sustain some damage.

This link has a nice simplified discussion of brown-outs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_outage
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Electricity Issue - Voltage drops - 08/16/09 09:24 PM
I still like you.
Posted By: Wid Re: Electricity Issue - Voltage drops - 08/16/09 09:33 PM

Feelings are mutual.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Electricity Issue - Voltage drops - 08/16/09 10:47 PM
Feelings.... nothing more than... feelings...
Posted By: Adrian Re: Electricity Issue - Voltage drops - 08/17/09 02:35 AM
We have a budding bromance here.
Posted By: Murph Re: Electricity Issue - Voltage drops - 08/17/09 05:22 PM
Another issue with grid induced voltage drops is that they often come back up with a bang. Same as after an outage. I often unplug everything of value during an outage to avoid the potential surge when things restart.

Probably depends a lot on your area but I'm told it's a common risk.

Low power can also be damaging to some electrical components just the same as increased power. A lot of variables to consider so I'll leave it at that. I'm no expert in any case.
Posted By: fredk Re: Electricity Issue - Voltage drops - 08/19/09 07:55 PM
 Quote:
I often unplug everything of value during an outage to avoid the potential surge when things restart.

Hmmm... That would be the value of a surge protector? It won't protect against lighning, but will prevent nasty surges (and voltage drops??). Its never been completely clear to me whether or not a surge protector automatically does both.
Posted By: SRoode Re: Electricity Issue - Voltage drops - 08/21/09 03:17 AM
 Originally Posted By: Murph
Another issue with grid induced voltage drops is that they often come back up with a bang.

The grid usually comes back at rated voltage, and usually within 30 cycles or 1/2 second.

Low power can also be damaging to some electrical components just the same as increased power.

I think you mean voltage, not power (if so, I agree!).

The grid provides a potential, or voltage level (your home's loads convert the voltage into power with your house's total impedance) not power. If the voltage spikes (e.g. a strike of lighting) then your equipment can be damaged. A surge suppressor is designed to handle this.

If your voltage sags (e.g. a brownout), then any load that you have that is a constant power output load will draw more current to output it's designed power. This could also damage equipment. I'm not too sure a surge suppressor is really designed for this. Hopefully, your house circuit breaker will.
Posted By: Murph Re: Electricity Issue - Voltage drops - 08/24/09 04:10 PM
 Originally Posted By: SRoode
Another issue with grid induced voltage drops is that they often come back up with a bang.

The grid usually comes back at rated voltage, and usually within 30 cycles or 1/2 second.

Low power can also be damaging to some electrical components just the same as increased power.

I think you mean voltage, not power (if so, I agree!).

The grid provides a potential, or voltage level (your home's loads convert the voltage into power with your house's total impedance) not power. If the voltage spikes (e.g. a strike of lighting) then your equipment can be damaged. A surge suppressor is designed to handle this.

If your voltage sags (e.g. a brownout), then any load that you have that is a constant power output load will draw more current to output it's designed power. This could also damage equipment. I'm not too sure a surge suppressor is really designed for this. Hopefully, your house circuit breaker will.

The few appliances that I have lost (with a bang) when the grid returned to duty around here would politely argue with you on the general assumption that all grids are designed equal within your fist comment. As would an nearby electrical engineer who works for our local utility. However, this may just lend to this particular area where they have almost exclusive control over the outside plant and central distribution.

Notice I didn't say "generation" as our local Island utility only self generates via a diesel plant when cut off from the mainland grid and the Point Lepreau nuclear facility housed there.

In any case, it's not my expertise so you may be right but I'll continue to be wary from my experiences.

As for saying "power" instead of "voltage". You are correct. I fell for the dangers of speaking in generalities when one is not accustomed to speaking about a particular topic very often.
© Axiom Message Boards