Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Zarak Dead DVD player, time for Blu Ray? - 09/20/09 01:51 AM
So we were watching a movie tonight and it locked up a little over an hour into it. I thought it was a bad disc, so did the normal take it out, clean it, etc. It kept happening. Got a H07 and later an H02 error. I finished the movie on the laptop then looked up the error (Panasonic RP62 DVD player). It appears to be related to the motor going bad. A potential fix is in the link.

Before I try that though, I don't know that is is really worth it, since it will likely just delay the inevitable. So, maybe it's time for Blu Ray.

I was thinking about the new PS3 slim, but would not get the new audio if I go this route. My Onkyo SR600 can't support this. It doesn't even have HDMI.

So, I either need a player that can handle the new audio or just forgo the new audio for now until I eventually upgrade the receiver. Any suggestions on players? I'm assuming they all upconvert DVD's as well. I haven't really kept up with what's out there. Capability of playing SACD is also a nice to have, but not a requirement.

Streaming is a nice to have as well, as it might get me to switch to Netflix from Blockbuster. While I'm at it, wireless is nice to have for network since I don't have Ethernet near the player.
Posted By: Curved Air Re: Dead DVD player, time for Blu Ray? - 09/20/09 03:04 AM
If you are looking to get at the new audio I would suggest looking for a player with 5.1 analog output. The PS3 would not give you this but there are a number of players that will.

I have the same receiver and that is the route I will be going when I get my first player.

-David
IIRC wasn't the RP62 pretty sought after a while back? I recall that when I was shopping for Denon 2900 deal years ago but ended up w/ a 2200.

I would vote for the PS3 slim since it's a great deal and has easy feature upgrades. I believe you could use the component output w/ a separate cable. Does your display have HDMI? If so, you could always use a cheap Monoprice HDMI switch. I use one and I'm satisfied.

I just got the latest Crutchfield catalog and they have the BDP1600 and S360. Both start at $199 and for $100 more you get wifi and photos. The 1600 has Netflix, which I have on my HD Tivo and LOVE it.
Posted By: Zarak Re: Dead DVD player, time for Blu Ray? - 09/20/09 09:09 AM
The display has HDMI. (Sony A2000 50" LCoS)
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Dead DVD player, time for Blu Ray? - 09/20/09 03:58 PM
Get the PS3 Slim. The 7/5.1 analog outs are a bandage at best. Just run the HDMI to the TV, and let it auto configure, when asked for the audio pick the optical port, and have it run to the receiver. Set the audio to bitstream. You'll have 90%+ of the quality of the lossless codecs without the headache of the multiple cables, and poor bass management.
Posted By: Zarak Re: Dead DVD player, time for Blu Ray? - 09/20/09 11:42 PM
So I grabbed a PS3 tonight figuring I can return it if I decide on something else (so keep the suggestions coming if you think there is a better way to to).

I went to set it up with my Harmony and bummer, it doesn't work. I discovered it only works with Bluetooth, so I need a separate remote or an adapter. Harmony of course recommends their logitech one.

I don't really want to go spend more money just to get this thing working right with the remote. Do I bite the bullet and do it, is there a better option, or should I just get a normal player that works with the Harmony instead?
Posted By: CV Re: Dead DVD player, time for Blu Ray? - 09/21/09 12:02 AM
I simply bought the official PS3 remote (which can be had for under $20) and was happy with that, but if you're wanting to simply use a universal, then biting the bullet and purchasing an adapter or getting another player do seem to be your options. I still think the PS3 is a great way to go for a player, especially the new Slim.
Posted By: Zarak Re: Dead DVD player, time for Blu Ray? - 09/21/09 01:14 AM
I'm using the wireless controller for tonight. If I keep it I'll have to get the adapter.

Anyone see the new XMen on Blu yet? I'm going to watch that one of the next two nights.
Posted By: doormat Re: Dead DVD player, time for Blu Ray? - 09/21/09 01:25 AM
 Originally Posted By: Zarak

Anyone see the new XMen on Blu yet? I'm going to watch that one of the next two nights.

Oddly enough I just tried to watch it yesterday. Something in the previews crashes my PS3, however. Turns out there is also a guy on AVS who had the same problem at the same place. The current theory seems to be a weak laser, although I don't really see why that would freeze the system. I'll have to do a bit more research.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Dead DVD player, time for Blu Ray? - 09/21/09 01:59 AM
I played X-Men Origins: Wolverine on my launch 60 gig PS3 without issue. Looked, and sounded better than the local theater which must have got one of the worse distribution prints, and even my ancient Sony sub sounded better than the one there which had to be blown. Coincidentally, the copy I watched belonged to the girl who dragged me to that theater which I know better than to attend--she really likes Wolverine.
Posted By: CV Re: Dead DVD player, time for Blu Ray? - 09/21/09 02:25 AM
Wolverine or Hugh Jackman?
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Dead DVD player, time for Blu Ray? - 09/21/09 03:42 AM
I think it is a little of both.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Dead DVD player, time for Blu Ray? - 09/21/09 03:13 PM
Harmony of course recommends their logitech one.

The nice thing about the Logitech module is it converts the IR to Bluetooth, rather than USB. The USB remotes are OK, but they can't turn the system on, you still have to do that by inserting a disc, or pressing the manual power button. The drawback of the Bluetooth device is that is requires power. Were as the USB port can provide the power to that type of adaptor--once the machine is on.

You have to pick which trade-off annoys you the least.
Posted By: Zarak Re: Dead DVD player, time for Blu Ray? - 09/21/09 03:23 PM
I don't mind having one more thing to plug in back there.

Also, any recommendations on the upconversion settings on the ps3 for regular DVD viewing? I think there was a normal, full, and double setting. Then there were a couple of other settings that could be set to 0 thru 3. I believe mosquito noise or something like that was one of the 3.

I put on the Matrix DVD just to play with upconversion a little bit last night.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Dead DVD player, time for Blu Ray? - 09/21/09 03:41 PM
"Normal" upscaling is usually the best choice. "Full" takes 4:3 video and stretches it to the full width of the screen. I sometimes use that for non-animorphic widescreen DVDs, and combine it with the Zoom feature of my TV to get them to fill the screen. "Double" first scales to 720p and then to 1080p. Some people like the artificial sharpening it adds to the picture--I don't.

There are three different noise reduction settings:
Frame, is over-all temporal noise reduction which averages the color changes of pixels over time. I set this one to 0.
Block, is applied in the video codec to soften macroblock artifacts. I set this to 1.
Mosquito, again is applied in the video codec, it reduces artifacts inverse discrete cosine transform where there's a soft texture next to a hard edge. I set this to 2.

I went to set it up with my Harmony and bummer, it doesn't work. I discovered it only works with Bluetooth, so I need a separate remote or an adapter. Harmony of course recommends their logitech one.

I have a Harmony One & a PS/3 too. When that Logitech PS/3 Bluetooth adapter was released, I bit the bullet and bought one. I have zero regrets about it. None. Yes, it's a bit expensive at $60 (now $49 on Amazon), but it's worth it. At least, IMHO.

Straight out of the box, it "just worked". I value that greatly. And the PS/3 responds just as quickly as if it were actually being controlled by the Harmony directly. There is zero delay between button presses and response.

For me, I hated using the PS/3 controllers for movies. Felt 'clunky'. And I really didn't want to buy a dedicated BT PS/3 remote after consolidating *down* to just the Harmony One. Felt counter-productive. That $60 adapter made my PS/3 feel like it finally belonged as a part of my Home Theater system, rather than just an add-on that required it's own controller/remote.

IMHO, I'd say to keep the PS/3. You're not going to find a better BluRay/DVD/Video Game/Movie Rental/Music Playing device for less money. And since you use a Harmony, and if you intend to watch a fair amount of movies on said PS/3, then that dongle is worth it. Just my $.02.
Posted By: cb919 Re: Dead DVD player, time for Blu Ray? - 09/24/09 05:45 PM
Fully agree with you Peter. Now I just have to figure out how to justify buying the new slim PS3 - mainly for the noise reduction during movie playback.
Posted By: fredk Re: Dead DVD player, time for Blu Ray? - 09/24/09 11:02 PM
Speaking of which, has anybody bought the new PS3? I'm curious how noisy/quiet it is.

In Canada, it still seems to be the best value bluray player, even if you don't game.
Posted By: Argon Re: Dead DVD player, time for Blu Ray? - 09/25/09 08:55 AM
I too, am thinking about Blu.... I don't play many games although I have an Xbox 360. I was skimming over at AVS and saw that Consumer Reports had released the latest. Checked out CR's site and their top Blu is the Oppo. Does anyone have an Oppo - or and opinion on Oppo?
Posted By: Ajax Re: Dead DVD player, time for Blu Ray? - 09/25/09 09:57 AM
There are several of us here who own and really like the Oppo BDP-83. Mine is the 3rd Oppo player I've owned, and I've been satisfied and happy with each and every one. Though it lacks a couple of features found on some other players (no Wi-Fi for BD-Live features; lacks streaming media services like Netflix and Pandora), it is top rated by just about everybody, including CNET.

CNET's best Blu-ray Players

Other than the picture quality, the feature that really impresses me is the (relatively) fast load times. And, so far, I've had no problem playing any Blu-ray disc. I can't say that about any other Blu-ray player I've owned (two -Sharp & Panasonic) You, pretty much, can't go wrong with the BDP-83.

However, it is expensive. I see, on the CR site, that the Panasonic DMP-BD80 has the same rating as the BD83 and costs a lot less. I've owned a Panasonic predecessor (BD55?) to the BD80 and liked it very much.

If money is no object, I suggest getting the Oppo. If you're on a tighter budget, I doubt the Panasonic would disappoint you.

EDIT: Forgot to mention another thing I really love about the Oppo. It's a true universal disc player, handling both DVD-Audio and SACD discs in addition to Blu-ray Discs, CDs, and DVDs.

Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Dead DVD player, time for Blu Ray? - 09/25/09 02:32 PM
One of the magazines I read just reviewed the Oppo and made it their new reference player...despite others that were MUCH more expensive...

Of course, the real reason I want one some day is to be like Jack! \:\)
Posted By: CV Re: Dead DVD player, time for Blu Ray? - 09/25/09 04:16 PM
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
Of course, the real reason I want one some day is to be like Jack! \:\)

There are cheaper ways to doppelgäng the guy, aren't there?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Dead DVD player, time for Blu Ray? - 09/25/09 04:25 PM
Well, there's either heavy make up, or waiting about, oh, 40 to 60 years.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Dead DVD player, time for Blu Ray? - 09/25/09 08:26 PM

(OMG, Ken! That was funny. I'm on Skype with Ray right now and I read him the last 3 posts. We just howled.)
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Dead DVD player, time for Blu Ray? - 09/25/09 09:09 PM
You're on Skype? You anti-capitalist pig!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Dead DVD player, time for Blu Ray? - 09/25/09 09:09 PM
Stealing from the poor telecoms. How could you? <shakes head>
Posted By: RickF Re: Dead DVD player, time for Blu Ray? - 09/25/09 10:57 PM
I like the price range on the PS3 Slim ...

* Price range: $299.97 - $299.99 (check prices) *

\:\)
Posted By: fredk Re: Dead DVD player, time for Blu Ray? - 09/26/09 02:35 AM
Yeah Ajax, I've been drooling over the Oppo, I just can't justify spending that much. Even if it is a universal player.

I think the PS 3 is just about the only piece of electronics right now that is priced the same in Canada and the US. What are the load times like on the PS3?
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Dead DVD player, time for Blu Ray? - 09/26/09 05:16 AM
The PS3 beats the Oppo on 99% of discs (by only seconds is most cases); even when the Oppo is faster is only by a second or two. The two are very close, but the PS3 is quicker.
Posted By: CV Re: Dead DVD player, time for Blu Ray? - 09/26/09 05:21 AM
Does this include the new PS3 Slim? I haven't read in-depth, but I've seen it mentioned that the Slim is slightly slower than other models.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Dead DVD player, time for Blu Ray? - 09/26/09 06:45 AM
I've not seen exhaustive numbers on the slim, but it does appear to be a second or two slower than the original. But that will still have it on top of the Oppo in most cases, as the Oppo is usually 5 to 10 seconds slower than the fat PS3.
Posted By: fredk Re: Dead DVD player, time for Blu Ray? - 09/27/09 12:58 AM
Hmmm... They just added next Saturday as a production day. A couple more days like that and I have a ps3 slim paid for.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Dead DVD player, time for Blu Ray? - 09/27/09 03:18 AM
So, when they add another Saturday production day, does that make it Reproduction Day?
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Dead DVD player, time for Blu Ray? - 09/27/09 03:58 AM
Ba domp psht!

\:D
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Dead DVD player, time for Blu Ray? - 09/28/09 12:05 AM
Only when the goalie is out of the game.
Posted By: fredk Re: Dead DVD player, time for Blu Ray? - 09/28/09 01:14 AM
Well, there are some rumours about what goes on in the dark corners of the plant (and whats been caught on tape in the parking lot \:o ).
Posted By: Zarak Re: Dead DVD player, time for Blu Ray? - 09/30/09 01:35 AM
To get things back on track....

I have nothing to compare to, as the PS3 slim is my first Blu player, but load times seem fine to me.

After watching a couple movies, I realize I'll need to bite the bullet and get the harmony adapter. Especially for times like this weekend where I'm going away and my wife wants to watch a movie. I'm going to have to train her on how to use the PS3 controller as a remote just so she can watch while I'm gone.

Maybe I'll hold out until Christmas and put in on my list. I always have trouble finding affordable things to come up with. We'll see if I can wait that long.
Posted By: Argon Re: Dead DVD player, time for Blu Ray? - 09/30/09 11:58 AM

Maybe I'll hold out until Christmas and put in on my list. I always have trouble finding affordable things to come up with. We'll see if I can wait that long.

Boy, ain't that the truth. If it's affordable, I already have it.
 Originally Posted By: Argon

Boy, ain't that the truth. If it's affordable, I already have it.

+100000000. We have that same problem at my house.
© Axiom Message Boards