Axiom Home Page
Posted By: jahusker Swan Diva 6.1? - 10/27/09 07:12 PM
They are having a sale on these and didn't know how they compare to the Axioms.
Swan Diva 6.1
Has anyone demoed these? Thoughts?

Thanks,

Jason
Posted By: Adrian Re: Swan Diva 6.1? - 10/27/09 09:51 PM
Only thing I know about them is they use HiVi drivers, I've never heard them though.
Posted By: jahusker Re: Swan Diva 6.1? - 10/27/09 10:00 PM
This is the response I received when asking comparison between the two from another site.

"Well, not to sound predictable, but they're not in the same class. The Swan are the more refined, lower-distortion, and significantly more powerful option. Plus you get bentwood cabinets and generally better quality throughout."
Posted By: Wid Re: Swan Diva 6.1? - 10/27/09 10:11 PM
I doubt they can handle the power the M80s can. That and they do take more to power to reach a certain db level as their sensitivity rating is much lower, 89db compared to 95db for the M80s.

Who ever made that statement must be ignorant to the M80s specs.

When you look at the frequency response of the Swans they do not have a +/- to the 35Hz-20kHz they publish. How would one know the true frequency response.

The M80 on the other hand do: Freq Resp +/-3dB (Hz):
34 - 22kHz

Axiom gives an honest frequency response.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Swan Diva 6.1? - 10/27/09 10:25 PM
Agreed, if you look up the specs on the drivers on HiVis website, they certainly fall well short in the power dep't vs the M80s....."significantly more powerfull"??????
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Swan Diva 6.1? - 10/27/09 10:46 PM
I'm wondering how an unpowered speaker could be "more powerful."

Hey, where'd the popcorn go?
Posted By: Adrian Re: Swan Diva 6.1? - 10/27/09 10:49 PM
The great popcorn famine....
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Swan Diva 6.1? - 10/28/09 12:55 AM
Chinese, vertically-integrated marketing at its finest.

They make a dizzying array of products.

We had an interesting thread a few years ago.

They may, in fact, sound fine. It would not give me satisfaction to own them, because I perceive no personal craftsmanship in their manufacture or design.

This is the Axiom forum; what do you think we're going to say?
Posted By: jahusker Re: Swan Diva 6.1? - 10/28/09 02:06 AM
I was kind of hoping someone on the forum had heard both, and could give me a comparison of what they thought of Swans compared to the Axioms. Figured it was worth a shot with another ID company.

Jason
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Swan Diva 6.1? - 10/28/09 02:28 AM
If you search for "swan" in the search function, clear out the From and To information, there are some old threads, but not much.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Swan Diva 6.1? - 10/28/09 03:29 AM
I'll take a stab at deciphering the quote by saying the Swans sound much like many other speaker out there of similar quality, slightly laid back and smooth top end (very generalized I know but it works for me).

And we know what many folks think of Axioms at other forums.......
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: Swan Diva 6.1? - 10/28/09 04:17 AM
IIRC, Swans used to create much drama on AVS. I've never heard them but they were on my long list of online speakers when I started looking years ago.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Swan Diva 6.1? - 10/28/09 04:09 PM
The FR graphs on their website show they are a fairly linear speaker so they should sound pretty good, the 6.1's look to have a slightly recessed midrange and drop off the highs a little, this is what I based my idea of what they sound like from and the fact many that like them like other speakers I would term 'laid back' in comparison to Axiom.

The current darlings on AVS are the Salk Song Towers.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Swan Diva 6.1? - 10/28/09 04:45 PM
Yeah, and the Song Towers are AWESOME. Heard them at a GTG in Oregon a few weeks ago. Would like to hear them next to some M80's.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Swan Diva 6.1? - 10/28/09 05:58 PM
Were the Salk's the actual Song Towers or something else from Salk. The song towers make me think of boring a couple holes in a VP100 and adding a base.......
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Swan Diva 6.1? - 10/28/09 06:30 PM
Heard several things from Salk, including the Songtowers. They are a mass-loaded transmission line. Huge sound.
Posted By: jahusker Re: Swan Diva 6.1? - 10/29/09 05:35 PM
My wife and I both prefer "brighter" speakers which is why we leaned towards the axioms in the first place.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Swan Diva 6.1? - 10/29/09 05:58 PM
If you mean detailed I agree. "Bright" is usually considered a derogatory term with regards to audio. ;\)
Posted By: jakewash Re: Swan Diva 6.1? - 10/29/09 06:13 PM
 Originally Posted By: Adrian
If you mean detailed I agree. "Bright" is usually considered a derogatory term with regards to audio. ;\)
Then you are ready for M80s......Not that they are truly bright but play very linear and forward sounding as the mids and highs are not rolled off at all.
Posted By: fredk Re: Swan Diva 6.1? - 10/30/09 03:01 AM
Jump on in jahusker. The water is mighty fine!

For the cost of return shipping, it is worth the time and effort to see if these speakers meet your expectations.

Tom. I didn't realize you made it to that Oregon GTG. I would love to hear your thoughts on the st and other speakers there compared to Axioms offerings.
© Axiom Message Boards