Axiom Home Page
Posted By: libirm Head Phones Recommendations - 12/21/09 05:13 PM
I am in the market for a good pair of heads that will not break the bank. Some where between $100 to $150 range?
Posted By: Wid Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 12/21/09 05:58 PM

What type are you looking for? Open, closed, inner ears?
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 12/21/09 06:14 PM
What will you be using them for? You have a ton of good options in this price range.

Open: Grado SR60i, Grado SR80i, Alessandro MS-1, Audio Technica ATH AD700, Koss PortaPro, Koss KSC75, Sennheiser HD 555 or 595 .

Closed Back: Sony V6/7506, Shure SRH 440/840, Audio Technica ATH M50, Audio Technica ATH A700, AKG 271 MKII.
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 12/21/09 06:29 PM
 Originally Posted By: Dr.House
What will you be using them for? You have a ton of good options in this price range.

Open: Grado SR60i, Grado SR80i, Alessandro MS-1, Audio Technica ATH AD700, Koss PortaPro, Koss KSC75, Sennheiser HD 555 or 595 .

Closed Back: Sony V6/7506, Shure SRH 440/840, Audio Technica ATH M50, Audio Technica ATH A700, AKG 271 MKII.

Agreed, good choices on the Grados and Shures. It'll really depend on music type and how you will use them.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 12/21/09 06:36 PM
For closed cans the Shure SRH 440 and 840 are about the best bang for buck going right now. If the 440 is any indication on how good the 840 is then...wow!

But if you do not need closed headphones, an open style is generally recommended for sounding more natural.
Posted By: libirm Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 12/21/09 06:39 PM
Thanks for the advice~
listen to rock/jazz.

I want to use them mostly in conjunction with some recording I due.

I guess that would mean closed would be better?

Not sure have looked at head phones in a long time.

Thanks again for the help
PB
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 12/21/09 06:49 PM
If you follow the link there is 3rd party measurements available for every closed headphone listed here and you can compare.

http://www.headphone.com/
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 12/21/09 07:11 PM
The 840's are sold as studio phones. I have them and got them for a deal at $129 shipped. Don't think they go for that anymore. They are BIG and closed but the sound isolation even beats my IEMs (in ear monitors). I can't even here people next to me when the music is off. Great sound, solid bass and mids, wide soundstage.

I can't recall who, Wid maybe, recommended Grados to get the closest to Axiom's sound. That was a good call. I've used the 325i's and HF2's, both of which are great phones but open so it's not quiet to those near you. I've heard good things about the Alessandro's as well.

You might check out head-fi.org for suggestions. But make sure to keep the comments in perspective. It can tun into AVS forums once in a while over there.
Posted By: Wid Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 12/21/09 07:15 PM

I'm a big fan of Grado phones but not for the application the OP is needing them for.

I've been out of the loop for a while so I'd have to go with the advice already given.
Posted By: rage96 Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 12/22/09 06:26 PM
May be off topic but I myself bought the ultimate ears superfi 5 pro about a year ago and I must say they sound nice and I'm happy that I bought them.

But, I would not tell anyone to buy them. Why?

1)The cord broke after 10 months
2)logitech bought them out so the customer service is garbage.
3)Trying to find a replament cord make take time since it seems they are not making them or making only 1/4th that they use too.

Other then that I like them.
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 12/22/09 07:39 PM
I use UE Superfi 5 EB's and used to like them a lot. I think my tastes changed a little and I like better mids now. I just went to regular cans for that.

I bought new cables just when Logitech took over. I think there are other companies that make similar cables, you might check head-fi for referrals.

One of my shells is breaking so I'm considering have it reshelled. This place does it for $80. I just have to find a reasonable place locally to have the molds done. I figure it'll breathe some new life into the UE's, which I do really like for some kinds of music, plus they're WAY easier to travel with.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/iems-...hearing-454174/
Posted By: FireGuy Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 12/23/09 02:19 AM
I just purchased Sennheiser's HD 555 maybe four weeks ago. Very popular at their price point. Picked up mine for $84 delivered. Break in period ongoing, initial takes; outstanding comfort, decent build quality, frequency separation very good; bass performance could be a tad better, excellent balance overall. I would not recommend them for travel or sports but that's up to you. For $84 bones, a steal... really.
Posted By: libirm Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 12/23/09 03:37 PM
 Originally Posted By: R DeVries
I just purchased Sennheiser's HD 555 maybe four weeks ago. Very popular at their price point. Picked up mine for $84 delivered. Break in period ongoing, initial takes; outstanding comfort, decent build quality, frequency separation very good; bass performance could be a tad better, excellent balance overall. I would not recommend them for travel or sports but that's up to you. For $84 bones, a steal... really.
[u][/u]

Thanks
Could you tell where for $84.? Can't find them anywhere for that price point.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 12/23/09 04:13 PM
 Originally Posted By: libirm
 Originally Posted By: R DeVries
[u][/u]

Thanks
Could you tell where for $84.? Can't find them anywhere for that price point.

$84 is a terrific price for the HD555 however they are open headphones and likely will not be the best option if you decide you will use them for a lot mixing. You would want something with a relatively flat respsonse and closed. Your best options for that in your price bracket IMO would be the Sony V6/7506 ( widely used in studios for mixing but some say this headphone can sound harsh, pads deteriorate over time), Shure 440 (bass light but has a very flat response in the midrange, treble) or if you want to spend a bit more cash, the AKG 271 MKII. Another thing to be aware of is that there might be comfort issues if you wear glasses with these cans.
Posted By: snazzed Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 12/23/09 05:33 PM
Another vote for AKGs. I've enjoyed every pair of AKGs I've heard so i'm not going to recommend a specific Model. They tend to be a very good value. Especially compared to Denon, my other favorite.

Any AKG that fits your preferences and budget should do well.

My only complaint with them is distribution. Its really hard to find AKGs in a Brick and Mortar store in Vancouver, Canada. Tom Lee Music has them but they are over priced with the K-271 mkII weighing in at $230 CAD.

Did that sound Fanboy-ish? I hope not. I jsut think they offer the best sound for the money and thats my 2cents

snazzed
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 12/23/09 06:31 PM
AKG 240s were always my favorite for mixing.....

(and comfortable for all-day use)
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 12/23/09 08:04 PM
This is were I purchased my last headphones from.

http://www.axemusic.com/prodtype.asp?PT_ID=321&strKeywords=Headphones&strPageHistory=cat

I agree, here in Canada we have to pay a premium on most brands especially with Audio Technica and AKG. This online store has them for $223. Excellent selection of headphones for a Canadian store but expensive.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 12/23/09 09:16 PM
This site is also very good for price in Canada.
http://www.minidisc-canada.com/shopdisplaycategories.asp?id=16&cat=All+Headphones
Posted By: libirm Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 12/23/09 09:55 PM
I wonder if semi open is ok when I am recording or mixing, or should i stick to closed?

No one hass mentioned m-audio, is there stuff good?
They seem pretty think in the mix.
Posted By: snazzed Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 12/23/09 10:18 PM
I wonder if semi open is ok when I am recording or mixing, or should i stick to closed?

I prefer closed headphones because I tend to use them in moderatley noisy envrironments so I want to block out some of the interfering sounds.

However, for mixing and studio work I imagine you are in a quiet, soundproofed environment. In that case, I would go open or semi open, as they tend to be more clear and transparent.

As always, see if you can listen to several pairs of headphones in your price range. Get the ones that are most pleasing to your ear... even if they are closed-back! \:\)

snazzed
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 12/23/09 10:31 PM
There's another problem with open: when used for monitoring while recording, they are much more likely to be picked up by a mic.
Posted By: Rock_Head Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 12/24/09 01:15 AM
I use my AKG 240s for my Roland VDrums. \:\)
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 12/24/09 01:44 AM
For any canucks that care and have a hard time finding a Grado dealer, you can get them here. They also carry Alessandro, Koss, Etymotic etc

http://stereotypeaudio.com/store/index.p...db90d78dba40663
Posted By: Murph Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 12/30/09 07:38 PM
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
AKG 240s were always my favorite for mixing.....
(and comfortable for all-day use)

Unfortunately, he misunderstood the reviews and constantly wore them at photography conference mixers.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 12/30/09 07:59 PM
And I thought people were just talking a muffly around me!
Posted By: Adrian Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 12/30/09 08:07 PM
Ahh...ahh see yah gums flappin' bwaahh, but I don't heaahh anyth'n!
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 01/11/10 04:58 PM
Did you end up buying any headphones libirm?
Posted By: libirm Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 01/11/10 06:13 PM
Not yet still hunting- I least I know what I want. Closed back for recording sounds like the right stuff.
Thanks
PB
Posted By: Listener Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 01/14/10 03:11 PM
Do the AKG 240s have the 1/4 jack or the mini?
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 01/14/10 03:21 PM
 Originally Posted By: Listener
Do the AKG 240s have the 1/4 jack or the mini?

Cable 3 m single-sided and 5 m coiled cable plug-in cable on headphones (mini-XLR connector)
Connector gold plated stereo mini jack
Adapter gold plated 1/8" to 1/4" screw-on adapter

It will be a standard 1/8" (portable devices) and come with a 1/4" adapter ( input for receivers, headphone amps etc) that you would screw on to the 1/8".
Posted By: Listener Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 01/14/10 03:27 PM
Thanks.
Posted By: Listener Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 01/15/10 02:01 AM
I see that the AKG 240s MKII can be had for $129 on amazon. I think I'll give them a try. Can anyone recommend a good budget headphone amp to go with these? Preferable one with a usb input so that I can connect directly to my PC and bypass the soundcard? I know HeadRoom makes one. Are there any other some of you may be using?
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 01/15/10 04:52 AM
Sounds like you want a DAC. I have an iBasso D10 and love it. Check the ibasso website, the D2 and D4 are well received. I like my D10 because I can use it on my Macbook via USB and optical out, and yes, optical sounds much better w/ the right recordings. It's dead silent, with no music turn it up loud and you hear nothing, no hiss or noise.

Also try used. I bought a Leckerton UHA3 from a local kid via the head-fi.org classifieds. Cost me $125 IIRC. That was a great, small starter amp/DAC.

Check these threads.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/revie...ompared-214588/

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/updat...rce-xm5-306883/
Posted By: Listener Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 01/20/10 04:17 PM
So I got the AKG240 MKII last night. I listened to them for a few hours on my PC. I had them hooked up basically through my sound blaster going through a Monsoon setup which has a headphone jack connection. I also listened to them on my Ipod.

They were much more comfortable than my old sennheiser hd 212. I have to say though that my hearing must not be too refined. I could not really tell a huge difference between the two headphones. Either my ears are the bottleneck here or my setup considering I am not using an amp. The source was a mix of 320bit mp3 and cd listening.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 01/21/10 04:43 AM
Here is a frequency response comparison between the two headphones.

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID=3&graphID=503

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID=3
Posted By: Listener Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 01/27/10 05:22 PM
So It's been a week now. I think my ears got used to the heaphones. I can now tell a significant difference between the headphones and no It isn't because i looked at the graphs. At least I hope not. =)

I love the mids and highs on these headphones. The bass seems a bit lacking, but I understand that I just feel that way becauase I've been used to over exagerated bass. Next purchase will be a dac/amp to drive these.
Posted By: libirm Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 01/30/10 03:37 AM
OK it is down to this:
Sony Pro MDR-7506 Headphones

Or the Shure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphones

Both about $100.00

Help me decide ...please
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 01/30/10 01:40 PM
I don't like anything from Sony, so I guess this would be an easy choice for me.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 01/30/10 09:40 PM
OK it is down to this:
Sony Pro MDR-7506 Headphones

Or the Shure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphones

Both about $100.00

Help me decide ...please

Two very good choices in this price range. Sony is very inconsistent with respect to the quality and performance of their products but the Sony 7506 is one of the exceptions. The 7506 has been used by industry professionals for decades in the studio. Suprisingly good build quality and has the neutrality you would be looking for. The 7506 are known to be great for mixing/studio use but not the best for causual listening due to the fact they can be harsh/fatiguing at times with mediocre recorded music.

The Shure SRH series are the newest closed headphones from Shure. Like the 7506, the Shure 440 have superb build quality and neutrality. The 440 are not as bright with a bit less bass than the 7506.

Both the 7506 and 440 are closed and the comfort levels you experience might vary. It would be safe to assume you would initially feel some "clamping" after extended use with both. I find the most comfortable way to avoid this effect is to rotate the headband slightly forward and adjust the headband larger until the clamping goes away. Otherwise they are both fairly comfortable headphones once your body breaks into the "feel" of them. I find all headphones initially take some getting use to in regards to comfort and they get better over time.

Both headphones are of amazing value.

Conclusion...

Strictly for studio use - Sony 7506
Mix of casual listening/studio use - Shure 440.
Posted By: libirm Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 01/31/10 01:29 PM
Hold the phone; this just in.....
http://hometheaterreview.com/audio-technica-ath-pro5va-closed-back-dynamic-headphones/

Does not look to shabby!
I was goning with the 440's but now...
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 01/31/10 05:05 PM
I don't know really anything about this headphone other than the fact I do like the manufacturer based on my experience with the ATH AD700, though that doesn't mean other headphones in their product line will be good because they all have varying sound signatures. I can't seem to find any measurements on this headphone but they seem to be marketed toward the DJ crowd. The Shure 440 and the Sony 7506/V6 to me are a safer choice.
Posted By: libirm Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 01/31/10 05:07 PM
OK Then I play safe and go with the 440's Thanks Doc! @)
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 01/31/10 05:14 PM
OK Then I play safe and go with the 440's Thanks Doc! @)

Headroom seems to like the 440 for your application in this $100 price range.

http://www.headphone.com/selection-guide/closed-headphones.php
Posted By: libirm Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 01/31/10 05:20 PM
Thanks Doc- I am on my way to Amazon!

Really appreciate your help.

\:\)
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 01/31/10 06:19 PM
Good stuff. The 440's are nice cans for the price especially for a closed model. Over the holidays I did some listening with the 440's with some open style headphones in similar price brackets as the 440. The Shure 440's are in the middle.

Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 03/27/10 08:49 PM
Thanks Doc- I am on my way to Amazon!

Really appreciate your help.

\:\)

So how do you like them? I'm kind of scared now, since you have not commented on them.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 03/28/10 12:09 AM
So... any recommendations on IEMs, preferably <$150? My main concern with them is how they would fit in my ears and how hard they are to install and remove, as it were.
Posted By: libirm Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 03/28/10 11:36 AM
Truth be told_ I got side tracked-
However they are the one I will be being-just on hold for a little while, will report when the deal is done...thanks for the help along the way.
Posted By: Wid Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 03/28/10 02:18 PM
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
So... any recommendations on IEMs, preferably <$150? My main concern with them is how they would fit in my ears and how hard they are to install and remove, as it were.

I have a set of Sennheiser CX 300s and really like them. They are not true iems but they do sound good and isolate fairly well.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 03/28/10 02:24 PM
One thing I hadn't considered before poking around Audioholics is the cord banging. Has that been a problem for you?
Posted By: Wid Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 03/28/10 02:27 PM

What do you mean by "the cord banging" ?
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 03/28/10 02:31 PM
I too have have a pair of CX-300. Very impressive, but I only use them when travelling AND not walking. If I have a bit of walking to do, the sound from my own footsteps drives me nuts with that type of ear-plugs headphones.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 03/28/10 02:37 PM
I think I saw it described on headroom as "touching the cable and having the sound reverberate in your skull."
Posted By: Wid Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 03/28/10 02:47 PM

I haven't noticed that that problem.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 03/28/10 02:51 PM
Hunh. There's a couple of really poor reviews on the CX-300 II on headroom. I wonder if they changed the design a lot.
Posted By: Wid Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 03/28/10 02:54 PM

I can go and try them now. I'll report right back.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 03/28/10 03:04 PM
Heh... hope I haven't created an aggravation for you.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 03/28/10 03:12 PM
I should say that my main (only?) purpose for these is for airline travel; watching movies, mainly, as well as watching movies on the laptop at the hotel. Maybe the occasional commuter train travel. I've got 2 pairs of closed air headphones, the Sennheiser HD 220 (?) and the AKG K81DJs. I really like the sound quality of the AKGs, but they are horrifyingly uncomfortable for more than about 15 minutes. The 202s aren't bad, but they are enormous, look silly, weigh a ton, and the sound quality isn't as good. Plus I can't wear either with my hat.
Posted By: Wid Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 03/28/10 03:25 PM
Heh... hope I haven't created an aggravation for you.

No problem Ken.

I just got done getting my smoker ready while wearing the 300s and can report they did not have that problem. I think they would be a great set for your needs while not spending huge money.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 03/28/10 09:56 PM
Thanks for checking for me, Rick. Unfortunately, being a bit of a doubting Thomas, I think I'll buy about 3 pairs of IEMs, including that one, and see which one I like best. I've done that sort of thing before with Headroom, and they're pretty cool about it. I'm thinking this list:

Sennheiser CX-300 II
Maximo iM590
Etymotic ER-6i (although I'd dearly like to try the HR-5 or the ER-4P...)

Anyone have any other choices/advice?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 03/29/10 03:37 AM
Let's see. They have the ER-4P for $180 right now, $144 B-Stock. They say suggested retail is $300. Is this something I should jump all over?
Posted By: sgtpepper Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 03/29/10 01:04 PM
Before you spend a boatload of money, check out the Sony MDR-7506. They are an extremely neutral headphone and can be had for only about $80 from Amazon. They are the most widely used headphones in recording studios for both music and film and have been for many years. I had this dilemma recently and can say that I will never buy another headphone as long as these stay in production. Which, based on their extensive use in the industry should be a long time.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 03/29/10 01:12 PM
I never really get the opportunity to listen to cans on my stereo, but use Sony 7506s and AKG-240s for on-location recording and when I've got someone in the sound booth. They're my two favorite headphones, and clients have always liked them as well...
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 03/29/10 02:16 PM
Too bulky for this application, unfortunately. Thanks for the recommendation, though!
Posted By: prototype3a Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 03/29/10 06:29 PM
I haven't read the entire thread yet but I LOVE my Shure SE310s. One thing to keep in mind is that a replacement set of the foam rubber tips will often be softer and more comfortable than the included pair.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 03/29/10 06:39 PM
Definitely a tad rich for my blood. \:\)
Posted By: prototype3a Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 03/29/10 07:41 PM
They're nice to have when F-18s are landing 10feet from your head... \:D
Posted By: CV Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 06/30/10 04:49 AM
Originally Posted By: sgtpepper
Before you spend a boatload of money, check out the Sony MDR-7506. They are an extremely neutral headphone and can be had for only about $80 from Amazon.

I suppose I should let you all know that I ended up with some headphones of my own, finally. I got a pair of these along with a pair of Sennheiser HD 555s. I figured I'd try both open and closed phones. I can't say which I prefer yet. They're both pleasant to listen to, and they both sit comfortably. Maybe I'll have some criticism after more use.
Posted By: SatKartr Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/01/10 05:01 AM
I've sort of given up looking for headphones that impress me the way Axiom products do, although I did search around for a while. I had some Koss headphones ($75-150 range, sorry can't remember the model number, they were open but I don't see a similar model anymore in the online photos) that I thought sounded great especially on a budget but the build was weak and they disintegrated, twice I believe, despite having a lifetime warranty. I didn't want to be vindictive so I simply called it quits following the disintegration of the replacement pair. Then I had a pair of Sennheiser 590s, which weren't bad until my daughter took out one of the channels by tugging on the extremely thin, in my opinion, cord while playing computer games. Now I use Grado SR225s but they really don't blow me away.

Perhaps I haven't gotten into a high enough price range or stumbled across a design that fits whatever my headphone preference might be, if anything, but I suppose that's a good thing, because my wish list at the moment is hopelessly long: I'm jonesing for audiobytes with sub for my computer desk, a vp180, another ep800, most likely M80 V3s or sonically upgraded V2s, to mount the plasma on the wall, and upgrade the head unit for my automotive sound system.

At least I know where I want to start, i.e., with a VP180, beyond that I'm lost. :Sigh:
Posted By: CV Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/01/10 05:30 AM
These headphones aren't blowing me away, either, which I attributed to being spoiled by my Axioms. They can sound nice, but like you, I think I must need to spend quite a lot more to where it competes with my main system.
Posted By: Murph Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/02/10 01:20 PM
A couple of years ago, I bought some Shure, inner-ear headphones that I am very satisfied with for presenting crystal clear sound. The trick is that they have to fit just right into your ear or you lose a lot of bass. Some people do not like the sensation of squishing something into your outer ear canal but if you can get used to it, this also makes them excellent as doubling as ear protection (with the added bonus of music) when you cut the grass.

I think I payed $120 but I recall that being a very significant sale. Maybe even 50% off.

They are also great for airplanes. I don't use them at work because I feel too isolated.
Posted By: Murph Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/02/10 01:22 PM
And of course, I meant to say that I find it very hard to compare any headphones to speakers. There is just something about hearing music in the middle of your head as opposed to hearing it presented from in front of you that changes everything for me.
Posted By: alan Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/02/10 02:40 PM
Hi Murph, Ken, and all,

I entirely agree with you, Murph, on the ear-canal earbuds and the peculiar feeling of isolation as well as trying to compare them to speakers, although if they fit your ear canals and you get a good seal, you can certainly judge the tonal balance and lack of coloration--bass, smooth midrange and treble--and compare that to a neutral speaker like Axiom.

I reviewed some ear-canal earbuds some years ago and liked the Shure SE310, which was wide-range, smooth and uncolored, albeit fairly expensive at the time.

I got into an argument with the Etymotic folks because none of the supplied flanges fit my narrow ear canals, and I felt in a $139 earbud, they should have supplied a good range of flanges. So they sent me some narrower ones which still didn't fit well and I downgraded the Etymotics because I heard no bass. I've had a good-natured argument with Dr. Floyd Toole over this (he is a big Etymotic fan). Anyway, I bought some new "Baby Blues" hi-fi ear protectors from Etymotic and the narrow flanges do fit my ear canals great, so if they're now supplying those with the ear buds, then I could become a fan, of sorts.

All this ramble is meant to suggest that getting the right fit to your ear canals is crucial to getting good performance. During my discussions with some of my colleagues, I pointed out that a $20 Koss ear plug came with a big range of flanges and I got a perfect fit, plus the Koss had plenty of bass, a tad too much in fact, and was quite neutral.

I still don't like those things stuffed into my ear canals, but they are effective.

Cheers,
Alan
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/02/10 03:23 PM
Originally Posted By: alan

All this ramble is meant to suggest that getting the right fit to your ear canals is crucial to getting good performance.

It's kind of like the "room" interaction with speakers.

I never thought it would be an issue when my ear doctor told my mom 40 years ago that I had "square ear canals".

Damn.

Again.
Posted By: alan Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/02/10 04:08 PM
Ha, ha!
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/02/10 09:01 PM
I have these and they are available again. Pretty close to the Axiom sound if you ask me.

http://www.ttvjaudio.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=28_64&products_id=292
Posted By: Wid Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/02/10 09:30 PM

Alan,

Etymotic do indeed supply their iems with the small blue flanges now.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/03/10 02:38 AM
I purchased a pair of the etymotic ear plugs also (Maybe a couple of months ago). I purchased the full size ones and I got my wife the baby blues. They seem to work pretty well, and they definitely seal good in my ears.

I hope I am satisfied with the Etymotic HF5's that I will be getting next week. I almost went for the ER4-P which was $179 on amazon, but stuck with the HF5's for $115.

Posted By: Wid Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/03/10 02:56 AM

Looking at the two models there doesn't seem to be a huge difference.

Posted By: terzaghi Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/03/10 02:58 AM
Wid, That was the exact reason I didn't buy the $175 model. Based on the graph comparison from headroom I didn't see a justifiable reason to fork over another $60. I've been listening with the supplied apple ear phones forever now so I am sure I will be pleased with the HF5's.

It's a damn slipperly slope I tell yah.. I was eyeballing $419 Ultimate Ears but decided that was WAY over my budget.
Posted By: Wid Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/03/10 02:59 AM

Same here.
Posted By: SatKartr Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/03/10 06:47 AM
The main reason I have been thinking about headphones is that my desktop speakers have been on the fritz for the past few months and I haven't been able to listen to music while writing reports, which I have to do all day 2-3 days a week.

This thread has made me think about and clarify a few things: 1) I guess it might be hard to find a pair of headphones I love because with many if not most headphones the soundstage seems too small to me to create much in the way of ambience. 2) I was listening to the Grado SR225s and they actually do sound quite good (aside from the somewhat constricted soundstage) if I crank them up to a distracting degree while working at the computer, which of course I knew but the point being: 3) the main problem is that I don't really like having loud transducers blasting into my ears in order to achieve a musical sound, but it occurred to me, duh, to play with the EQ on the PC and create a subjective loudness curve, now I am getting a very nice sound at very low volumes.

This is also giving me some ideas about possibly how to tweak my automotive system as well, because the issue there has been somewhat the same, of having to crank up the music to get a pleasing sound, and then it becomes oppressive in a small space, on the other hand it seems to lack dynamic impact at low volumes. I've had little luck playing with the car stereo EQ, which unfortunately is quite limited, but it's easier to hear what's happening subjectively with the EQ at my computer desk than in the car with all the additional ambient noise, I'm hoping the results that are working at the desktop may help establish a baseline for my own subjective loudness curve that I can transfer in part to the car stereo EQ settings, because it definitely was not what I expected and it definitely sounds much better across a wide variety of music.

I still prefer a big space with surround sound ambience (e.g., Audyssey, Dolby PIIx) but with the EQ going the headphones now sound quite acceptable and even very good at low volumes. It's seems obvious to me now that if I was in a setting where I needed to plug in the headphones while watching HT late at night I would most likely want a considerably different EQ curve for the headphones than for listening to the speakers.

I never have time to tweak anything these days so it takes me forever to make the most elementary observations. laugh
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/03/10 12:34 PM
Originally Posted By: Murph
And of course, I meant to say that I find it very hard to compare any headphones to speakers. There is just something about hearing music in the middle of your head as opposed to hearing it presented from in front of you that changes everything for me.

This is mostly because the way a certain headphone presents the soundstage. A headphone with a narrow soundstage the more it is perceived as hearing music in the middle of your head. Also headphones that have a narrow soundstage when it shifts this is when you are more prone to the "in your head effect". This is not a problem with headphones that create a large soundstage.

The majority of headphones don't have a wide soundstage especially in the lower price brackets. (see next post for recommendations).
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/03/10 12:45 PM
Originally Posted By: SatKartr
The main reason I have been thinking about headphones is that my desktop speakers have been on the fritz for the past few months and I haven't been able to listen to music while writing reports, which I have to do all day 2-3 days a week.

This thread has made me think about and clarify a few things: 1) I guess it might be hard to find a pair of headphones I love because with many if not most headphones the soundstage seems too small to me to create much in the way of ambience. 2) I was listening to the Grado SR225s and they actually do sound quite good (aside from the somewhat constricted soundstage) if I crank them up to a distracting degree while working at the computer, which of course I knew but the point being: 3) the main problem is that I don't really like having loud transducers blasting into my ears in order to achieve a musical sound, but it occurred to me, duh, to play with the EQ on the PC and create a subjective loudness curve, now I am getting a very nice sound at very low volumes.

This is also giving me some ideas about possibly how to tweak my automotive system as well, because the issue there has been somewhat the same, of having to crank up the music to get a pleasing sound, and then it becomes oppressive in a small space, on the other hand it seems to lack dynamic impact at low volumes. I've had little luck playing with the car stereo EQ, which unfortunately is quite limited, but it's easier to hear what's happening subjectively with the EQ at my computer desk than in the car with all the additional ambient noise, I'm hoping the results that are working at the desktop may help establish a baseline for my own subjective loudness curve that I can transfer in part to the car stereo EQ settings, because it definitely was not what I expected and it definitely sounds much better across a wide variety of music.

I still prefer a big space with surround sound ambience (e.g., Audyssey, Dolby PIIx) but with the EQ going the headphones now sound quite acceptable and even very good at low volumes. It's seems obvious to me now that if I was in a setting where I needed to plug in the headphones while watching HT late at night I would most likely want a considerably different EQ curve for the headphones than for listening to the speakers.

I never have time to tweak anything these days so it takes me forever to make the most elementary observations. laugh

Headphones that present a wide soundstage/presentation make listening extremely enjoyable - almost as good as home system.

For a budget headphone the Audio Technica ATH-AD700 is truely a world class headphone at around $80. Superb positioning/soundstage and damn comfortable. They do have slightly rolled off highs though. With the AD700 instruments will be perceived as coming from all parts of your head (front left, back right etc). With a jazz drummer you can perceive what area of the drumkit he is playing on. Wonderful for classical recordings. The ATH-AD900 is just a more refined AD900 which is also a consideration.

For a bit more money the Beyerdynamic DT880 (32 or 600 ohm). I am confident this headphone would change your outlook on headphones and your concerns of a narrow soundstage presentation. It delivers in all areas (neutrality, comfort, soundstage, tonality etc).

Posted By: SatKartr Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/03/10 02:01 PM
Thanks for the recommendations, I was reading about some of those Audio Technica models last night on the internet and wondering if they were as good as people seemed to think as far as opening up the soundstage goes. I'll probably try out one of the budget models, e.g., ATH-AD700, to experiment and then go from there.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/03/10 02:14 PM
Thanks for the recommendations, I was reading about some of those Audio Technica models last night on the internet and wondering if they were as good as people seemed to think as far as opening up the soundstage goes. I'll probably try out one of the budget models, e.g., ATH-AD700, to experiment and then go from there.

The ATH-AD700 do have rolled of bass and slightly rolled of treble however they more than make up for it in its soundstage and tonal presentation. The soundstage/spaciousness and positioning these headphones present is outstanding. They are used a lot in competitive gaming. The midrange is very, very good. These are a bargain for what they charge on places like Amazon. Also remember the color scheme is Gold and Purple before deciding to make your purchase and if this is a turn off for you.

For a no compromise solution the Beyerdynamic DT880 (600 ohm) is the ticket. An external headphone amp for powering high impedance headphones would be recommended here.

Posted By: SatKartr Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/03/10 02:27 PM
Yes I'm on Amazon right now and the DT880 looks quite tempting, I'll probably pull the trigger in the next day or so on either this or the ATH-AD700, I have both of them lined up in my cart. I'm leaning toward the 32 ohm model though for convenience, and since I'll be using them mostly at the computer, I'm not sure the sources will do the 600 ohm model justice. What type of headphone amp do you favor, I've never owned one and have never been able to figure out whether the recommendations I've read are just more amp voodoo or what have you.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/03/10 02:38 PM
The Beyerdynamic DT880 (32 ohm) would be excellent directly used with the computer, MP3 player etc. It will be the better choice for this purpose and it is a better all around headphone than the ATH-AD700 but it costs 3 times more!

There is a lot of snake oil with headphone amps especially when it comes to "sound quality" however the main purpose I would recommend using a headphone amp with the DT880 600 ohm version is solely for the purpose that they will do a better job at providing sufficient voltage to these headphone so you will be able to achieve loud(er) volumes and better dynamics. With the 32 ohm DT880 version a headphone amp will not be needed nor with the ATH-AD700.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/03/10 09:25 PM
Originally Posted By: CV
These headphones aren't blowing me away, either, which I attributed to being spoiled by my Axioms. They can sound nice, but like you, I think I must need to spend quite a lot more to where it competes with my main system.

I have never listened to the HD555 but the Sony MDR-7506 are not gonna "blow you away". They are a closed reference level studio monitor that have a dead accurate response. Its not going to be a "fun" or "exciting" headphone, its just going to be neutral. The 7506 is pretty much the most commonly used headphone in radio and professional studio applications. Why? Because of the neutrality and they are cheap (cost that is).

While the closed nature of the 7506 is ideal for studios and noisy environments I would not generally recommend a closed model as your primary headphone for home music listening. Closed headphones in general give you a limited soundstage and somewhat unnatural "boxy" sound since it is not the way we (humans) interpret sound on a day to day basis by blocking/attenuating any outside noise in our environment. Unless you are trying to purposely attenuate outside noise or prevent sound leaking out, open headphones are for the most part always better.

I think you will appreciate and take comfort in the thought that when you are listening to Regina Spektor, she has probably worn the 7506 on many occasions and some of her albums have probably used them in the recording/mastering process - it would be like having sex with her albums. You can't get any closer to her than that without actually meeting her, that is . cool

Posted By: CV Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/03/10 10:03 PM
You can't get any closer to her than that without actually meeting her, that is . cool

Never mind how creepy I look. Just focus on her.
Posted By: CV Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/03/10 10:54 PM
I have never listened to the HD555 but the Sony MDR-7506 are not gonna "blow you away". They are a closed reference level studio monitor that have a dead accurate response. Its not going to be a "fun" or "exciting" headphone, its just going to be neutral. The 7506 is pretty much the most commonly used headphone in radio and professional studio applications. Why? Because of the neutrality and they are cheap (cost that is).

Well, the neutrality is one of the major reasons to like Axiom, right? Or are you saying that closed headphones are basically like listening to Axiom loudspeakers in an anechoic chamber, and that it's the room interactions that give my speakers their life?

Upon further listening with both pairs of headphones, I think the Sennheisers edge out the Sonys in clarity and openness. Sometimes the Sonys make the vocals more prominent, though, which can be beneficial. For now I'm favoring the Sennheisers, but that can change depending on the track. I still like both pairs, but I'm curious to try more expensive offerings at some point.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/03/10 11:12 PM

Well, the neutrality is one of the major reasons to like Axiom, right? Or are you saying that closed headphones are basically like listening to Axiom loudspeakers in an anechoic chamber, and that it's the room interactions that give my speakers their life?

Upon further listening with both pairs of headphones, I think the Sennheisers edge out the Sonys in clarity and openness. Sometimes the Sonys make the vocals more prominent, though, which can be beneficial. For now I'm favoring the Sennheisers, but that can change depending on the track. I still like both pairs, but I'm curious to try more expensive offerings at some point.

Its mostly due to the closed nature of the design. There is just something unnatural about the experience though it is needed at times. When looking at similar priced open and closed models, the closed models usually have a narrower limited soundstage with a more in your head and "boxed in" sound. While they will sound great like the 7506 its not gonna blow you away for casual music listening. Now what doesn't help with closed headphones is they need to make a tight seal with your ears so many experience "clamping" sensations and other comfort issues which can also detract from the experience. Well designed open headphones like many of the open circumaural designs have a more well open, airy and natural sound characteristics as well as being more comfortable. There are exceptions of course.
Posted By: grunt Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/04/10 05:51 AM

Its mostly due to the closed nature of the design. There is just something unnatural about the experience though it is needed at times. When looking at similar priced open and closed models, the closed models usually have a narrower limited soundstage with a more in your head and "boxed in" sound. While they will sound great like the 7506 its not gonna blow you away for casual music listening. Now what doesn't help with closed headphones is they need to make a tight seal with your ears so many experience "clamping" sensations and other comfort issues which can also detract from the experience. Well designed open headphones like many of the open circumaural designs have a more well open, airy and natural sound characteristics as well as being more comfortable. There are exceptions of course.

I agree with the doc on this. I only use closed headphones for when I’m flying on my plane otherwise I couldn’t hear anything. OTOH when I was trying out headphones I instantly knew that I preferred open to closed when listening in quieter environments. Plus the circumaural have always felt more natural and comfortable to me.
Posted By: grunt Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/04/10 05:53 AM
You can't get any closer to her than that without actually meeting her, that is . cool

Never mind how creepy I look. Just focus on her.

Thanks for making me jealous Charles!
Posted By: CV Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/04/10 08:57 AM
Oh, I wasn't trying to make you jealous. I was only trying to make myself sad. smile
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/13/10 12:38 PM
Have you tried out the Beyerdynamic DT880 SatKartr?
Posted By: SatKartr Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/13/10 01:21 PM
Not yet, although now I'm leaning toward the Audio Technica for economic reasons. Long story, but material/financial/computer software chaos has ensued in my household, I'll post when I have a chance, especially with an update of some kind, at present everything is on hold.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/16/10 01:46 PM
I find this to be a pretty good description of what it is like to own the AD700. Also remember to look at the pictures on amazon to get an idea of the purple and gold color. The color scheme can be a turn off right there.

http://www.soundstage.com/allinyourhead/allinyourhead200804.htm
Posted By: pastuch Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/16/10 04:16 PM
These are the ones I've auditioned or owned.

Open: 1. Sennheiser HD600 2. AKG 501s 3. Sennheiser HD570s

Closed: Sony MDR V6, Grado (Can't remember but like all grados, HORRIBLY uncomforatable)

In Ear: Klipsch Image S4

Portable on Ear: Koss Porta-pros are some of the best sounding headphones I've ever heard. I've own two pairs over the last 10 years. The lifetime warranty is stellar. Best $50 set in the world by a mile and they have been the best since the 1980s.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/16/10 06:23 PM
Another great thing about the PortaPro is that the product has been left unchanged during that entire period. That is a sign of a great product. Its pretty hard to beat the Koss lifetime warranty as well.
Posted By: grunt Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/16/10 06:28 PM
Originally Posted By: pastuch

Portable on Ear: Koss Porta-pros are some of the best sounding headphones I've ever heard. I've own two pairs over the last 10 years. The lifetime warranty is stellar. Best $50 set in the world by a mile and they have been the best since the 1980s.

Thanks you may have saved me the trouble of starting my own “what portable headphones to buy” thread since I also like my Sennheiser HD600s and can’t stand wearing Grado.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/16/10 06:34 PM
If you are even looking for more portability the Koss KSC75 should also be in consideration. They are basically a clip-on version of the PortoPro and you can find them for around or less than $20. They also come with the standard Koss lifetime warranty.
Posted By: grunt Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/16/10 06:43 PM
If you are even looking for more portability the Koss KSC75 should also be in consideration. They are basically a clip-on version of the PortoPro and you can find them for around or less than $20. They also come with the standard Koss lifetime warranty.

Thanks I’ll check them out too.

I’ve owned a couple pair of Koss headphones before and like them a lot just haven’t had any for about 15 years now.
Posted By: SatKartr Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/16/10 06:55 PM
Out of curiosity I dug my Koss A-250s out of the garage, they still sound good but there is no way to wear them because they have fallen into pieces and the ear pads are flaking off something wicked.

I've ordered the Audio Technica, they should be here Monday or Tuesday.
Posted By: Wid Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/16/10 06:57 PM
Out of curiosity I dug my Koss A-250s out of the garage, they still sound good but there is no way to wear them because they have fallen into pieces and the ear pads are flaking off something wicked.

I've ordered the Audio Technica, they should be here Monday or Tuesday.

Koss has a lifetime warranty, send them back.
Posted By: SatKartr Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/16/10 07:20 PM
I did send them back, this was the replacement pair, I suppose I could keep trying to get my money's worth but at some point I usually just abandon ship.
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/17/10 05:58 AM
Those Audio Technica's get some good reviews. Just saw them for $84 on beach camera.
Posted By: SatKartr Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/17/10 12:24 PM
That's a good price, they went up from $88 to $90 on Amazon while I was making up my mind, still not too bad, now if only the Alpine head unit I've been looking at (CDA 9887) hadn't gone up from $245 up to $309! Hope it comes back down.
Posted By: pastuch Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/17/10 03:44 PM
For around $100 I don't think any headphone will compare to the Klipsch Image S4 (If you like in-ear cans).

The Portapros have such a cool 80s look to them too. Totally unique. I dig it!

Edit: Grunt super jealous of the HD600s. I listened to them in a store for almost an hour. The sales guy looked impatient wink

I really really like the AKG 501s sound too. I bet the higher end stuff AKGs are comparable to the Senn 600 and 650.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/17/10 03:58 PM
The high end AKG models will compete very well to the high end Sennheiser models (HD600, HD650, HD800). Same goes for the high end Beyerdynamic models.
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/17/10 04:01 PM
I had the 770-250's. Too boomy for my tastes. Hard to drive them too.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/17/10 04:04 PM
I am more referring to the DT880 and T1. The DT770 is also closed so I don't think it is a valid comparison to the Senn models 600 and up.
Posted By: pastuch Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/17/10 04:20 PM
Hmmm looking at the AKG website it looks like the AKG 501 has been replaced with the 601. I hardly use cans anymore because I'm always in the basement of my own house instead of my parents wink

Posted By: grunt Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/17/10 07:29 PM

Edit: Grunt super jealous of the HD600s. I listened to them in a store for almost an hour. The sales guy looked impatient wink

Bumber I thought you owned a pair.

I love the HD600s the HD650s sounded a little better but at the time not enough to justify the price difference. I would love to hear the HD800s but I don’t want to tempt myself since there are more functional things to buy right now.

The HD600s are the most comfortable and natural sounding headphones I’ve ever owned. I’m still amazed at their bass. On several occasions I’ve gotten up and walked away from my seat only to have the cord pull them off my head because I forgot I was wearing them, even after multi-hour gaming sessions. No damage yet. wink
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/17/10 10:36 PM
Late night gaming sessions with headphones is indeed a great experience especially when the headphones are comfortable and can present a realistic soundstage that can bring out all different kinds of little nuances.
Posted By: pastuch Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/17/10 11:47 PM
I own Sennheiser HD570s. I have put a LOT of hours on them. I need to get the velure redone.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/22/10 02:45 PM

Just got a pair of those KSC75s. I wanted something cheap (got the for about $13 from Amazon), because of my hatred for headphones, I figured I'd just be giving them to someone else. But I was wanting something to use with my phone if I want some portable music. I have to say, I'm impressed. They present the illusion of plenty of bass, but it's not overpowering, with the treble being sharp and clear. After having them on for a few minutes, I almost can't feel them anymore (that's saying something for a person who can't wear lace-up shoes because they present different levels of pressure on the tops of my feet). Still don't like the inside-my-head imaging, but without Dolby Headphone that's always going to happen when I mount the speakers to my ears.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/22/10 03:03 PM
I have two of those Koss headphones. Love 'em!
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/22/10 03:24 PM
Originally Posted By: ClubNeon

Just got a pair of those KSC75s. I wanted something cheap (got the for about $13 from Amazon), because of my hatred for headphones, I figured I'd just be giving them to someone else. But I was wanting something to use with my phone if I want some portable music. I have to say, I'm impressed. They present the illusion of plenty of bass, but it's not overpowering, with the treble being sharp and clear. After having them on for a few minutes, I almost can't feel them anymore (that's saying something for a person who can't wear lace-up shoes because they present different levels of pressure on the tops of my feet). Still don't like the inside-my-head imaging, but without Dolby Headphone that's always going to happen when I mount the speakers to my ears.

Glad that you like them ClubNeon. Its hard not to like them since they are so cheap. If you ever want an MP3 player to match up with those in the future I would suggest the Sansa Clip+ 2Gb for $39.99. If you already have a MicroSDHC card full of FLAC/MP3 etc files, just insert into slot on the player and enjoy.

I purchased the Clip+ 4gb in black about a month ago for a secondary MP3 player and I am still in shock at the level performance, ease of use and level of features it has for the price. Greatest bargain in the MP3 player market today. It is extremely tiny as well. cool
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/22/10 03:31 PM
If I were interested in a portable music player, I'd definitely get a Sansa (all the flash media I own is SanDisk). But for now I'm happy enough with my Android powered Backflip phone streaming music from Rhapsody.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/22/10 03:33 PM
Those are some nice phones.
Posted By: CV Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/22/10 03:33 PM
I like my Sansa Clip+ 2GB most of the time... but I think I got a faulty one. It seems like it has issues charging sometimes, and it's never approached the 15 hours. One time, the screen locked up, and I couldn't do anything with it until the juice ran out and I could re-charge it. Another time, the unit turned off, presumably due to running out of power, but hooking it up to the USB ports on my computer did nothing to revive it. For two days. I tried the next day with still no result. I tried again the day after that just to make sure it was fully dead. It suddenly worked again. So yeah, I got it because I didn't want to spend a ton on an MP3 player, but it hasn't been my best experience.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/22/10 03:42 PM
A couple things I would try is to check the USB settings in the system settings, it should be on auto. If it won't detect/charge try the other USB settings that are available such as MSC in the system settings. A hard reset on the device might be worth trying as well. Hold down the power button for 15 seconds.

Have you updated the firmware at all?
Posted By: CV Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/22/10 04:37 PM
Yeah, I did the firmware update that was just released.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/22/10 04:58 PM
I have a computer with XP and I must force it to MSC mode. It turns on and everything but the computer won't detect if it is set to auto. Switch it to MSC and bam! My other computer with Vista, auto detect (usb mode) works just fine.

I forgot to mention in my previous post about battery life. If you are using the external memory (MicroSD) the device will consume more battery than when it uses the internal memory. This is the case for all MP3 players. What the manufacturer states in its specifications is for continuous, low bit-rate files using internal memory. If you are just using the internal memory it should be close to the 15 specified.

Another great thing is that you can "rockbox" the Clip+. It is a free open source firmware. You can check it out here.

http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SansaAMS
Posted By: CV Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/22/10 05:07 PM
Thanks for the tips.

I'm only using the internal memory, but they're all lossless files, so that would probably be why the battery only lasts a few hours.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/22/10 05:09 PM
Thanks for the tips.

I'm only using the internal memory, but they're all lossless files, so that would probably be why the battery only lasts a few hours.

Flac does suck more battery life. If it is the case you only get a "few hours" something is wrong. Flac won't consume the battery life to that extent.

I suspect there is something wrong with the player/battery or the problem lies in charging the battery (a usb setting). Have you tried different USB settings other than auto detect? You should see the little battery icon (the bar in the middle moving) in the top right corner when it is indeed charging. When it is fully charged the bar will be full but won't move.

Another way to check battery life is go into System Settings - > Info -> Scroll down to power (reading will be in %)
Posted By: CV Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/22/10 05:49 PM
I haven't tried any other USB settings yet. The player does indicate that it's charging when I plug it in to my computer, the only exceptions being the times the player wouldn't show anything at all, making me think it was dead.

I said a few hours, but it could actually be 5-6 sometimes. Sometimes when I think it should have a full charge, however, it only lasts 2 days of me doing my morning routine (check stuff online, shower, etc.) which is around an hour and a half. I think the best it has done is part of a third day in a row of that.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's something wrong with my unit.
Posted By: Murph Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/22/10 05:54 PM
Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
I have two of those Koss headphones. Love 'em!

Well most people do go with one for each ear. Unless, I guess, you only have one ear. wink
Posted By: Adrian Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/22/10 05:55 PM
Like that arteest guy.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/22/10 06:02 PM
I haven't tried any other USB settings yet. The player does indicate that it's charging when I plug it in to my computer, the only exceptions being the times the player wouldn't show anything at all, making me think it was dead.

I said a few hours, but it could actually be 5-6 sometimes. Sometimes when I think it should have a full charge, however, it only lasts 2 days of me doing my morning routine (check stuff online, shower, etc.) which is around an hour and a half. I think the best it has done is part of a third day in a row of that.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's something wrong with my unit.

Something does not seem right to me either. The next time you are done charging the device, check the POWER in the system settings under INFO and make sure it is reading 100%. It is more accurate than the bar.

But yeah, wierd stuff is going on like why it randomly won't detect.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/22/10 10:29 PM
It's funny how quickly the ear forgets. Here I was being all impressed how good these headphones were. Thinking they were competing with real speakers. So I'm listening to Rhapsody on my phone. Pull up the exact same track on my computer, and switch over to listening on Alesis M1 Active, studio monitors.

Yeah, not quite the same thing.

But they're still good headphones.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/22/10 10:39 PM
The Koss KSC75 are good especially for their price, probably among the best but they are not going to compete to a studio monitor. They have a bit of a hump between 60hz and 300hz. They don't have the soundstage of a loudspeaker either.

http://graphs.headphone.com/iconGraph.php?graphID=1023
Posted By: pastuch Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/23/10 03:50 PM
I second the Sansa Clip+. The latest version with a monster SD card is the best value in portable audio. Also if you check the reviews the Sansa Clip+ has the best sonic accuracy and quality of any portable player on the market today including all available Ipods.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/23/10 04:31 PM
I second the Sansa Clip+. The latest version with a monster SD card is the best value in portable audio. Also if you check the reviews the Sansa Clip+ has the best sonic accuracy and quality of any portable player on the market today including all available Ipods.

Are you referring to the literal ruler flat frequency response of the Sansa Clip+ that has been showed in 3rd party testing wink cool .
Posted By: sonicfox Re: Head Phones Recommendations - 07/23/10 05:01 PM
I like my Sansa Clip too. I don't have the + version though. I agree out of all the small portable mp3 players I've heard, the sound quality of the Clip is superior.

I've only used inner earbud style phones with the Clip since I use it only when I run. At it's price point, I recommend the Skullcandy Titans. They probably are bit colored in sound, but they are surprisingly clear in the highs and mids, and have a nice thump to the bass. If you don't want to spend more than $20, consider the Ink'd...muddier than the Titans, but a good value.
Posted By: SatKartr Re: Headphones Recommendations - 08/08/10 04:38 PM
So I did pick up a pair of the Audio Technica ATH-ADR700s and I must say they are decent headphones, they kind of remind me of the Koss A-250s. My daughter thinks they're more comfortable than the SR225s and she likes the pink/purple color.

I suspect that higher end Beyer and Sennheiser headpones might be more to my liking, although I still haven't heard anything headphone-wise to rival 2.1 speakers, so I have Audiobytes on my list before any further headphones excursions. Audiobytes may seem a bit pricy but I'm not so sure: I've had two 2.1 systems die on me in the past few years, so cheap stuff can be expensive too.

I've had some home repairs recently crop up (e.g., the kitchen tile had to suddenly be replaced) that has slowed down my home electronic acquisition process, otherwise I would already have Audiobytes. This process has led to some observations though, as well as computer issues to work through.

For example, my computer died a couple of months ago and I bought a new computer that was so much better it was unbelievable, upgraded from a Dell Dimennsion 5150 to a Dell Inspiron I580, cheap at $799 from Best Buy, but with an i5 650, win7 64 bit, and 8 GB of RAM. They say that you don't need all that RAM for word processing and surfing the internet but all I can tell you is that everything is so much faster, even with relatively slow DSL (2.5 Mbit download), so I wish I had something like this long ago, it's the best technological advance since streaming audio or GPS.

Anyway the reason for the digression is that since the computer upgrade I'm now having problems with the uber finicky Rhapsody program, you gotta love it, when it works it works, if not you're SOL, I've been a subscriber since 2004. Just before th Audio Technica headphones came I went in and played with the equalizer on Rhapsody, which I"ve never done before, and the SR225s sounded quite nice. It made sense to me that headphones might benefit from EQ since they are placed directly on/in your ears, and I checked out this web site, http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/hearing.html, and deduced that my high frequency hearing is somewhat deficient (from years of playing electric guitar). The interesting thing was that by boosting the high frequencies on the SR225s I got what I perceived to be a much better sound, especially at low volumes, which was surprising to me since initially I thought the SR225s sounded too bright.

The next turn in the road was that with the new computer Rhapsody was slightly skipping about 4-5 times per song, just enough to ruin any sense of musicality, so I popped the Creative Xfi Extreme Music sound card out of the Dimension 5150 and installed it in the Inspiron 580. I didn't notice any sonic improvement but the equalizer in Rhapsody stopped working, and removing the sound card did not restore the EQ. Rhapsody has a Preferences checkbox setting that states: "Use DirectSound output (recommended). Deselecting DirectSound may resolve some rare playback issues. The equalizer may not work if this option is deselected."

I don't know what DirectSound is, but it's usually pretty clear when Real programmers make such statements that program bugs/glitches are involved that they do not entirely understand and have not been able to resolve. I suspect that there may be a connection to DirectSound playback issues, whatever those might be, but the result is that I am left with no EQ for Rhapsody. I suspect that if I did have EQ I would be able to set up the Audio Technica headphones more to my liking.

Finally I decided well why not listen to a CD, then I won't have to listen to Rhapsody skipping and ruining my musically rhapsodic reveries. Except there's a problem: I still have the skipping even with CDs, and it sounds almost like a "pop" or static click in the music stream.

So musically one of my most frequent pastimes (listening at the computer) is stymied and I'm clueless how to resolve the skipping problem or where to look for technical support/clues. All I know is I've upgraded both the hardware and software (Operating System), and the problem seems to be internal to the computer rather than stemming from somewhere in the external internet stream.

On the bright side I played with my auto music and got a better sound. I find the music in the car to be too bright, but it only has an 8 frequency graphic EQ which does nothing to clean up the sound. To me it's a similar situation to headphones, i.e., a small room or environment with funky speaker enclosures that would seem to benefit from EQ. My head unit is a JVC KD-HR1, which leaves a lot to be desired. But I did discover that by changing the subwoofer setting, the sound is a lot more balanced and realistic. The head unit has a subwoofer volume setting that ranges from 00 to 08, when I first had the system installed I liked to run the sub a little hot and had it set to 04, then I tired of that and shifted it to 02, but I also seemed to need to crank up the music real loud to get a realistic sound. Now I've shifted the subwoofer volume setting to 03 and it sounds great even at low volumes. I believe that with proper EQ it would sound much better but until I can afford to upgrade the head unit at least it's an acceptable sound, however crudely it may have been obtained.

Well enough of chronicling my journeys through the electronic weeds and ditches . . .
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Headphones Recommendations - 08/10/10 02:54 PM
The SR225 and the AD700 are definetly two different beasts. The graph tells the tale.

http://www.headphone.com/buildAGraph.php?graphID%5B0%5D=373&graphID%5B1%5D=2661&graphID%5B2%5D=&graphID%5B3%5D=&graphType=0&buttonSelection=Compare+Headphones

The SR225 has that typical Grado mid-bass hump and a rise in the high frequences. It has similar frequency response to the MS1 that I have. With the AD700 the treble roll-off I find is very noticable. Insturments like cymbals do not sound as good compared to my Grado/Alessandro MS1. However, the benefit I find with this is that I can wear these for extensive periods without experiencing listener fatigue. They are super comofortable as well. At this price-point there are trade-offs. Going up to the Beyerdynamic DT880 on the other hand, they are really the cats meow.
Posted By: Murph Re: Headphones Recommendations - 08/23/10 05:02 PM
Not a total derail but anyone know of a half decent improvement on iphone/iPod Touch replacements that retain the microphone built into the cord? Outstanding sound quality is not a necessity. I already have a pair I enjoy for that but I would like to play with the mike features a bit without enduring the awful sound of the stock pods.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Headphones Recommendations - 08/23/10 05:10 PM
I bought an adapter at Boxwave that includes the microphone - lets you use any kind of headphones. I liked that approach, although it was not for the iPhone. They must have something similar for that device.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Headphones Recommendations - 08/23/10 05:12 PM
I know Monster <shudder> makes one. I saw it at the Apple store a few weeks ago, but I couldn't bring myself to purchase it. I think Shure made one a few years back.

If you want a whole-unit solution, the Etymotic HR-5s (I think that's the number) come with a mic built in.
Posted By: Murph Re: Headphones Recommendations - 08/23/10 05:44 PM
Thanks Guys. I'll check into those. Well, all except the one that feeds The Monster.
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: Headphones Recommendations - 08/23/10 06:17 PM
I know Monster <shudder> makes one. I saw it at the Apple store a few weeks ago, but I couldn't bring myself to purchase it. I think Shure made one a few years back.

If you want a whole-unit solution, the Etymotic HR-5s (I think that's the number) come with a mic built in.

IIRC, the Ety's were just well reviewed in the latest Stereophile mag. Dare I say, it but some of the newer Monsters have some decent reviews like the Copper ones, I think.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Headphones Recommendations - 08/23/10 06:26 PM
It's not that Monster makes bad products, it's how they market, and price their average to slightly above-average products.
Posted By: Wid Re: Re: Headphones Recommendations - 08/24/10 01:14 AM

The HF-2 is the model you're talking about. They have the built in microphone.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Re: Headphones Recommendations - 08/24/10 02:25 AM
Indeed Wid.

http://www.stereotypeaudio.com/store/index.php?cPath=26&osCsid=c455cbcc07272741f52ce2d8dbecb404

Here is one example.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Re: Headphones Recommendations - 08/24/10 03:44 PM
Yeah, that's what I meant...
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Re: Headphones Recommendations - 08/24/10 10:05 PM
I am very pleased with my etymotic hf-5's
Posted By: gianquittia Re: Re: Headphones Recommendations - 09/16/10 03:47 AM
Hi,
On a side note I was looking for the best noise cancelling headphones to be used 95-100% with iphone or ipod. I would like to keep it under $200, but I would go up to around $300, if there was an amazing pair. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Re: Headphones Recommendations - 09/16/10 04:45 AM
You can research these closed cans to start and pick the one you like best. These all will isolate sound pretty well and there are a variety of different sound signatures. These headphones range from $70 - $200+ USD approx.

AKG K271 MKII
Audio Technica ATH-M50
Sony MDR 7506/V6
Shure SRH840
Beyerdynamic DT770 (32 ohm)

There are quite a few others too...

Posted By: Wid Re: Re: Headphones Recommendations - 09/16/10 10:52 AM
Although not true noise canceling phones I recommend the Etymotic ER4. They do a great job at isolating you from out side noises.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Re: Headphones Recommendations - 09/16/10 01:26 PM
I have these and very, very happy with them: http://minidisc-canada.ca/shopexd.asp?id=583
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Re: Headphones Recommendations - 09/16/10 06:06 PM
Originally Posted By: wid
Although not true noise canceling phones I recommend the Etymotic ER4. They do a great job at isolating you from out side noises.

I second this recommendation. I have the ER-6i headphones that use the same tip and the isolation they provide is fantastic. I use them every time I fly and they really cut down on the engine and screaming kid noise. smile
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Re: Headphones Recommendations - 09/16/10 06:07 PM
But do they block out JP on road trips?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Re: Headphones Recommendations - 09/16/10 06:09 PM
He's a quiet driver. Except for that part where I was trying to sleep on the way back to Toronto and he got really talkative.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Re: Headphones Recommendations - 09/17/10 03:23 PM
I must have gotten manic from the sugar high that resulted from my devastation of the Mandarin buffet.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Re: Headphones Recommendations - 09/23/10 10:37 PM
Here is a guy that tested and listened to a lot of headphones.

http://www.ratsound.com/cblog/categories/27-The-Mighty-Headphone-Quest
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Re: Headphones Recommendations - 09/24/10 12:46 AM
Not bad for a $90 headphone! smile I have always thought of the Audio Technica ATH-AD700 as one of the best value headphones in market when you also factor in their wide soundstage and comfort. My listening impressions are pretty identical to his thoughts.

Due to the fact that these Audio Technica's AD700's are open ear design, they will not make it as live cans but they sure do have a nice response. A little low end light and looses top a bit early but they actually do meet our +-4 db spec we set for the CD3000's.

I am also not surprised the Shure SRH 840 did well in his testings and is among his recommended list for live mixing headphones. I wish he tested the Shure 440 as well. While the 840 is the most expensive of Shures professional line (suited for DJ's), the model below, the 440 is designed for the most neutral/accurate response and is cheaper. Not as comfortable as the 840 though.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Re: Headphones Recommendations - 09/25/10 02:47 PM
Has anyone listened to any of the Denon headphones? I never really considered them before as a serious headphone manufacturer. They seem to compete well against the usual suspects.
Posted By: DaMagicman Re: Re: Headphones Recommendations - 09/26/10 01:52 PM
I'm using Bose-on-ear headphone for over a year now and quite happy with it. Its quite comfortable and folds neatly. The sound is quite good IMO.
Posted By: BobKay Re: Re: Headphones Recommendations - 09/26/10 04:21 PM
If you enjoy using what you've got, that's all that matters. However, I think you're not supposed to actually spell out that entire "B--e" word here.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Re: Headphones Recommendations - 09/26/10 10:19 PM
No Bose is Okay, they do make good small speakers, just way overhyped and priced for the performance given, much like Monster.
Posted By: DaMagicman Re: Re: Headphones Recommendations - 09/26/10 11:16 PM
Originally Posted By: BobKay
If you enjoy using what you've got, that's all that matters. However, I think you're not supposed to actually spell out that entire "B--e" word here.

Opps sorry for using the B word
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Re: Headphones Recommendations - 09/26/10 11:19 PM
Small speakers are not good just based on plain physics alone and when you don't have a proper subwoofer integrated with the system ala Boses proprietary bass module, you will not get good performance in even an average sized home listening environment. With other manufacturers like Orb Audio that specialize in small speakers atleast you get better build quality in the product and IMO better aesthetics.

When it comes to Monster, their cables do what they do - pass a signal at a premium price. When it comes to anything regarding sound quality it comes at a high premium and usually inferior to much lower cost alternatives and outclassed by many at the same price point. Since this is a headphone thread you can compare Monsters Beats premium line of headphones to much lower cost alternatives. Monster also has a history of bully business tactics which rub a lot of consumers the wrong way as well which IMO makes them worse than Bose.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Re: Headphones Recommendations - 09/26/10 11:21 PM
I ordered some Denon headphones. Should be here next weak. I'll let you know what I think of them.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Re: Headphones Recommendations - 09/26/10 11:32 PM
Cool! What model did you order? Looking forward to your impressions in the coming week(s).
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Re: Headphones Recommendations - 09/27/10 03:58 AM
Sweet. Please Let us know how the denon headphones turn out.
Posted By: CV Re: Re: Headphones Recommendations - 09/27/10 04:06 AM
Remember to play with positioning and give us a full report.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Re: Headphones Recommendations - 09/27/10 05:59 PM
Remember to play with positioning and give us a full report.

LOL!

The funny thing is I find most headphones are more comfortable when you rotate them so the top portion of the headband is positioned slightly forward than placing them directly on the top of the noggin. The pictures of the Denon headphones I have seen look mighty comfortable!
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Re: Headphones Recommendations - 10/05/10 11:06 PM
Here is the newest pair of headphones to enter the marketplace.

Ultrasone Debuts its First Open Back Edition Headphone – Edition 10

Uniquely designed open back earcups with Zebrano wood inlays and titanium-plated drivers

Only 2010 will be produced and each pair comes with a Zebrano wood headphone stand, wood storage case & is balanced input ready

Murrieta, Calif. - (October 4, 2010) – Ultrasone Inc., distributor for German headphone manufacturer Ultrasone AG, proudly announces the release of its first open back special edition headphone – Edition 10. The long awaited open back Edition 10 headphone boasts the most luxurious feature set of any special edition headphone to date. With Zebrano wood ear cup inlays, Ethiopian sheepskin leather ear cup pads, Titanium plated drivers, Kevlar coated cables and a limited number of 2010 units available, Ultrasone's Edition 10 represent the companies most lavishly appointed and highly coveted speciality headphones ever created.

The Edition 10 is a result of years of painstaking R&D to ensure the first open backed special edition headphone met the rigorous standards set by its predecessors. The ear cups alone are a triumph in both form and function, resulting in a design never before created by Ultrasone's engineers. Drawing inspiration from natural forms, the Edition 10's ear cups feature high levels of air permeability through the grills, high specific torsion strength and extremely low resonance, all in a lightweight design.

The outer ear cup is finished with galvanic Ruthenium plating and with a Zebrano wood inlay, which is coated with eight layers of clear lacquer for protection. The Edition 10's inner ear cup, as well as the head-pad, is adorned with reddish brown Ethiopian sheepskin. This type of leather is known for being the most supple leather available, achieving the maximum level of comfort and sound isolation.

The drivers selected for the Edition 10 have been specially tuned for open back headphones. The Titanium-plated 40mm drivers have been designed with a 10% more powerful magnet for enhanced sound pressure levels. Each set of drivers have been individually paired with a tolerance of +/- 0.4.

Attention to detail can be seen at every level with the Edition 10s and the cable is no exception. Ultrasone has incorporated silver-plated OFC 99.99% pure copper wires and utilized Kevlar as the casing, achieving increased current flow, improved flexibility and lower overall weight. In addition, the Edition 10 is designed to be balanced input ready, so audiophiles who wish to implement a balanced cable configuration do not have to change the entire wire, rather connect XLR connectors instead of the 6.3mm connector.

Ultrasone's latest headphones employ S-Logic™ Plus technology, resulting in an impartial acoustic feeling that affords the listener the utmost spacious tonal perception. This gives users the advantage of wearing Ultrasone headphones for many hours without their ears hurting. Ultrasone's newest headphones also contain MU-Metal shielding (ULE technology) that reduce the amount of radiation directed to the listener by up to 98%, as compared to conventional headphones.

Each Edition 10 headphone comes with a hand crafted Zebrano wood headphone stand and is housed in its own wooden box for safe storage and transportation. Only 2010 Edition 10 headphones will be produced, each one will be embossed with its own serial number.

Edition 10 Technical Specifications
S-LogicTM Plus technology
Dynamic principle, open
Frequency range: 5 - 45000 Hz
Impedance 32 Ohm
Sound pressure level 99 dB
MU Metal bufferboard,
Reduced field emissions in accordance with ULE standard
40 mm titanium-plated driver
Magnet NdFeB
Weight 282g (excl. cord)
Cord length: 3m
Aramid fiber enhanced
Silver plated high-flex cable (OFC 99.99 % pure copper)
6.3 mm gold plated plug

The Edition 10 headphones have a MSRP of $2,749 and will be available at www.ultrasone.com and high-end audio retailers worldwide.

For additional information on Ultrasone's Edition 10 headphone, please contact PR Representative Brian Metcalf at (305) 576-1171 x11 or by e-mail at brianmetcalf@maxborgesagency.com. To learn more about Ultrasone, go to www.edition-10.com.

About Ultrasone
Based near Munich, Germany, Ultrasone AG has been manufacturing headphones for the audio market for over 17 years, during which time the company has developed and applied for more than 60 patents for its innovative technology. The company's unique, patented S-Logic™ technology creates natural surround sound without the use of additional electronic devices. Ultrasone headphones represent a safer listening experience by reducing sound pressure on the ear drum by up to 40% and also by offering shielding from EMF radiation up to 98% through the use of patented ULE (ultra low emission) technology. For more information about Ultrasone headphones, go to www.ultrasone.com.

Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: Re: Headphones Recommendations - 10/06/10 12:12 AM
Saw that earlier today. RIDICULOUSLY expensive, but man, it's pretty.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Re: Headphones Recommendations - 10/06/10 01:05 AM
They are one classy looking headphone. One of the nicest I have seen. For their price though I would rather have a set of speakers from Salk or Revel.
Posted By: DaMagicman Re: Re: Headphones Recommendations - 10/06/10 01:14 AM
2700 bucks for a headphone..holy molly...I'll be afraid to use it..esp. with kids around.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Re: Headphones Recommendations - 10/06/10 01:38 AM
You would be afraid to use the Beyerdynamic Tesla T1, Sennheiser HD800 and especially the flagship Sony MDR-R10 which have an MSRP of $4000. eek
Posted By: DaMagicman Re: Re: Headphones Recommendations - 10/06/10 02:50 AM
You would be afraid to use the Beyerdynamic Tesla T1, Sennheiser HD800 and especially the flagship Sony MDR-R10 which have an MSRP of $4000. eek

omg..I need to be a millionaire to buy one of this
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Re: Headphones Recommendations - 10/06/10 03:15 AM
Hey fellas

I went the other way ... Denon AH D1001, less than $100. They're not here yet, but I'll post my impressions of these modest phones as soon as I get them.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Re: Headphones Recommendations - 10/06/10 03:31 AM
Expensive and heavy!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Re: Headphones Recommendations - 10/06/10 03:58 AM
Originally Posted By: oldskoolboarder
Saw that earlier today. RIDICULOUSLY expensive, but man, it's pretty.

For something you can't see while you're using it, why put so much work into the looks? wink
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Re: Headphones Recommendations - 10/06/10 11:33 AM
'Cuz it's all about the maid and butler seeing you while you wear them! smile
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Re: Headphones Recommendations - 10/06/10 02:04 PM

Were did you find these for less $100? That is an excellent deal. The build quality seems very nice and well above their price point. They are sold out in a lot of places too.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Re: Headphones Recommendations - 10/13/10 05:08 AM

They were out of the AH D 1001 blacks but shipped silver AH D1001S.

First impression: IMMERSIVE! Clear, clean, detailed, accurate, rich. So far I've used the headphone out jack in the Sony CA9ES CDP and the output from the Harman Kardon PM665 integrated amplifier.

I'm going to take a break and try the phones with the Kenwood KA9100 and Ah Njoe Tjoeb tube output CDP.

Qvusa ships through Damark. They shipped the silver phones for $72.96 (shipping $13.57, phones $59.39) I have some old Panasonic or Technics phones around,I'll do a little A/B tomorrow if I can.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Re: Headphones Recommendations - 10/13/10 06:01 AM
OK, so, the Ah! Njoe Tjoeb does not appear to have a volume control - the volume control in the Kenwood KA9100 does not seem to effect the the headphone output from the Ah! So, it was too loud.

The KA9100 has an output jack. I listened to little bit of a Roy Orbison CD. Sounded OK, but not as good as the output from the Sony CA9ES or the Harman Kardon PM665 amp.

I like the phones!
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Re: Headphones Recommendations - 10/13/10 02:42 PM
Very nice 2x6. How do you find the comfort? A budget($138), hybrid tube amplifier designed to power a low impedance headphone like those Denon beauties, I bet you would like. smile

]
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Re: Headphones Recommendations - 10/13/10 09:17 PM
Hey, now THERE'S a low-investment way to experience tube sound!

Dammit!
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Re: Headphones Recommendations - 10/13/10 09:37 PM

Very nice pick doc! Here's its more recent iteration.

I have a tube amp (Antique Sound Labs) but it needs some attention (new input block rca jacks) before I can use it again. Wish the folks at Antique Sound Labs would support their great sounding products.

I think the new Denon headphones are comfortable but I haven't had them on long enough to report.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Re: Headphones Recommendations - 10/13/10 10:09 PM
You would LOVE the MKIII 2x6. I have several hundred hours of use with it over the past year.
© Axiom Message Boards