Axiom Home Page
Well I have been thinking of doing an up grade to my HT and I have no idea as to why I have not looked into the Axiom speaker line before now. I have owned Paradigm Monitors in the past for stereo use and was pleased with them but decided to jump into the HT arena and at the time go 5.1. I decidecd to purchase an Infinity ILS series all matching system. I have had this system for just about 10 years now and it has preformed flawless, but I would like a bit more power and larger sound stage. I have been looking at the M80's and for the price and review ratings I do not think you could go wrong.

My HT is now a 7.1 system with a 106" screen so big picture big sound not that my sound is small, I just want bigger. I can push 140W per channel to my mains which sould be fine for the M80's.

My main question is on the cabinet materials? I see there are three options to choose from.

1) The $1436 which is has ? for a finish...what is this?
2) The $1608 vinal
3) The $1933 veneer

From reading there is no sound quality difference per say but I would like to know what material the entry level M80's are constructed from? This is where the informed decision comes into play, if I could just make a spur of the moment purchase I would get the Rosewood VaSSallo's low gloss, they would look great with my front wall (media brown flat non-reflective).

Thanks in advance and if you have any other M80 infor please feel free to throw it at me. I have read just about every M80 thread in the last week.

Later
Phil
Then standard finish, and the custom finishes are all vinyl wrap. Beyond that you can get a wood veneer finish. The vinyl wrap is the best in the industry, and many speaker manufacturers use vinyl wrap. Often, people comment on how the vinyl wrap looks like real wood. The high gloss offerings are killer.
The base material for all of the speakers is MDF, and Randy's got the finishes for you.
Thanks guys, from reading the first 27 pages of posts in this section of the forum I expected to see your Avitars LOL. Your help and input is most appericiated. I think I will order a sample of the rosewood, natural in low gloss sample. God help me, please let it be ugly LOL.
Nope, you're boned.
Looking forward to some pics of M80s with Rosewood/Natural/Low gloss ;\) \:\)

BTW welcome to the forum Phil \:\)
I would give up my left pinky toe for my speakers all in Rosewood. HGC is awesome but Rosewood is just incredible.
On my visit to Axiom last year, someone's High Gloss Rosewood M80s were hanging in the spray area. Gorgeous finish.
 Originally Posted By: Potatohead
HGC is awesome but Rosewood is just incredible.

Not just incredible. Incroyable!!
The price is kinda steep just over $2300 for the pair but I paid just over a grand for my Infinity speakers @ 10 years that is only $100 a year and they are still great. I just have to keep these for 23 years LOL that's all. I have to go low gloss I couldn't take the risk of getting reflections from the PJ durign a movie night LOL. We will see you know you always dream big at first but I hope to be able to produce some pics of my HT with these bad boys up front. The only problem is my center will not match or my sub sooooooo....the wife is gona kill me again.
Just to let you newer fellas know, back a few years ago Axiom didn't offer any upgraded finishes so it was either wrapped vinyl or wrapped vinyl.

The gist of my comment is that every time I read of you newer fellas and your purchases of Axiom's highly glossed finishes and wood veneered speakers it makes me very jealous and want to visit your house and steal all of your fine finished speakers and take 'em home with me.

\:D \:D

::playing violin::

Yea ... probably a highly glossed finished one at that, right?
Just noticed you`re a Northerner \:\) If you ever come down this way let me know I can give you an audition or for someone closer send Mel(onn) a PM he is in Edmonton and has beautiful Rosewood M80s.( hope you don`t mind me offering up auditions for you Mel \:\) )
 Originally Posted By: RickF
Yea ... probably a highly glossed finished one at that, right?

HaHa!! good one Rick!
Yeah Jake another fellow Albertan, I found Axiom when I was on a quest for more bass LOL. I just added eight Aura Pros to my HT seating and I am thinging I need more bass you know to get the thump in your chest as well as the rumble in your pants. But I have found a new love and the bass can wait I think LOL. Rick my Infinities have a nice finish LOL they will be just sitting around for a while if I get these ones LOL you might like them. They are not an M80 but they are pretty.

Very nice clean setup you have Rick I don't think you have to worry a little wood veneer wouldn't make your room much better.

FYI that thump in your chest generally comes more from your mains(~60hz-90hz) than from your sub so M80s and 500W/channel amp and you should be good \:\)
My vinyl black m80's look great. However, if money were no object I'd get some real wood veneer.
My vinyl black M80s sound great. ;\)
 Originally Posted By: jakewash
Just noticed you`re a Northerner \:\) If you ever come down this way let me know I can give you an audition or for someone closer send Mel(onn) a PM he is in Edmonton and has beautiful Rosewood M80s.( hope you don`t mind me offering up auditions for you Mel \:\) )

Hey Phil
If your ever in the Edmonton area give me a shout and I'll see if I can help you out
Mel
Thanks onn that would be great, I do not get to Edmonton all that much you knwo now is the busy season in the patch. If by chance I get there befoer I make a decision or buy something I will pass on my contact info for a potential chance to see your M80's LOL I am pretty sure I don't need to hear them but that wouldn't hurt.
Phil, welcome.

I share RickF's envy at the wonderful choices now available.

I have the "standard" Boston Cherry and agree with Randy; it looks quite good. But - if I had the money to spend - I would upgrade to the VaSSallo wood veneer. All relevant stories indicate people are very satisfied with the workmanship.

How are you powering your bass shakers?
I am running them in sets of two wired at a 8 ohm load, so 4 sets which works out to 2 per seat. I am running them off of a yamaha RXV1000 I had kicking around, I had actually gave it to a friend but he wanted HDMI so I took it back, glad I did LOL. They add that little bit extra to the movie.....Man I just finished Band Of Brothers and the scenes in it were fantastic. Disk two part one the bombing before the jump and mortar rounds, I think I got a woody. Anyway they really accentuate the bass and make it seem to be a higher level than it really is. The tactile part is very confusing at times, I play xbox with a set od digital 7.1 head phones and with the shakers on I often find myself pulling the head phones off so see if I have woken my family up LOL...all there is, is that low rumble no audible sound at all. My daughter loves super mario on the Wii/big screen and as she calls them the buzzers LOL.
This is a great site I am glad I joined, oh by the way these guys are on Face Book too LOL.

Later
Phil
I can't wait to do some gaming on my new 58" Panny. 9 more days till I get the new house!!!!!! Yes I am getting excited.
Sounds like very exciting times indeed!
 Originally Posted By: PhilD
I am pretty sure I don't need to hear them but that wouldn't hurt.

That's OK Phil you can stop by for a LOOK if you want \:D If you listen to them, who knows it may hurt
onn I just clicked on the "My System" tab........my good god are you trying to go deaf? That system you have is to die for. Are those Rosewood ValSSalo High Gloss? Not that they are not beautiful but I noticed that they do give off some reflection.

Jake congrats on the house, I suer wish I had a new house to build in again. I finished my HT/family room about two years ago now and man do I have the itch to build another one. There are so many things I would change not that I made mistakes but I have just seen so many HT threads now and got so many more ideas that I would love to have incorperated. AVSfourms is a great site but it will cost ya LOL.

Have a good one,
Phil
Building a new house these days is not all that it is cracked up to be. Most of the builders no longer allow any sweat equity(they won't let you do any work on it) so paying for someone else to try to get your ideas right is VERY painfull indeed. When we get in I get to cut open somewalls to do some extra wiring and adding in some supports where I didn't plan for them as we have changed our plans for the main room during the 6 month long wait
Are those Rosewood ValSSalo High Gloss? Not that they are not beautiful but I noticed that they do give off some reflection.

Phil The HG does reflect the light but I am now so used to it I don't even notice it anymore. If I had a projector maybe it would irritate me but I like the look of these so I'll suffer with them. Yes, they are Rosewood.
Mel
Well I just found out that I have to go away to work for a month or so, too bad it wasn't taking me closer to the Axiom facility LOL. I never even got my sample ordered and if I do it today and it comes in the mail the wife might think she is getting new cabinets or flooring LOL.
Have them ship it to me and the I can ship it to you when you need it \:\)
I'll get right on that Jake LOL you drooling over the sample and me in the cold northern oil patch seems fair LOL. I see that the price has been changed on the site for the M80's and I assume all products. I looked back and see the M80's in cherry veneer were $1933 and now they are $1844....hmmm that is $90 off...damn you Axiom.
Well I just ordered the sample Rosewood, low gloss sorry Jake I didn't have your shipping info but if you like to give me your banking info I can have a set shipped to me and billed to you LOL. Work got pushed ahead to who knows so I might leave today or next week?? Hurry up and wait...if the wife gets it I guess it is not the end of the world LOL.

Later
Phil
LOW GLOSS!

Sigh
I think the High Gloss would reflect light from teh PJ?? I don't know. I can always get a HG sample if I think that the low gloss is dull.
Hey Phil I just remembered that I have my sample of the HG Rosewood. If you want me to mail it to you let me know.
Mel
Wow Mel that would be great here the whole time I was wondering how I could save $$ now with two samples to choose from I am sure to get the rosewood LOL.

I was wondering if there was a smaple swap thread on here I know on another site there was a demo disk swap thread. So I get the demo disks mailed to me from Mr. X and then I make three copies and mail them to Mr T, U, V that are the next three people in line asking for them. Then they in return mail three coipes out.
Just PM where you want it sent or you can come down and pick it up yourself
Mel
We have shared a mix of music cd's on here before.
On the note of sharing content I had a look for the demo disks I had and can not find them for the life of me....as well as my Harmony 880 remote. My 5 year old daughter had a movie day with friends and her 2 year old brother over a week ago now and Mommy thought they would be fine alone.
I have HG finish with a projector, you can see a bit of reflection off them but it's not distracting.

PS - My money is on the 880 being inside the sub port
Thanks potatohead, and it can't be in the sub it is a sealed design but good thinking LOL I am sure it is pack ratted away in some toy box somewhere. It is killing me to lower the screen, dim the lights, turn on 3 power buttons LOL

Thanks
Phil
Yeah .......not much to do with the M80's but I did find my Harmony 880 LOL in a shoe in a toy box. Should have the sample here early this week.
Ahh my sample is in but my wife missed the delivery try and I can pick it up tomorrow \:\) sweet. She asked me what I was getting and I told her the truth. A wood sample, KISS (keep it simple stupid) then she asked me what it was for, again KISS, I said to look at it to see if you like the wood or not. She then proceded to ask me for what again.....at this point I broke down and said furniture for the house.............is that a lie??? M80 = HT furnature right?

later
Phil
Posted By: Anonymous Re: M80's, Informed decisions! Cabinet materials? - 02/01/10 10:40 PM
LOL
M80s make excellent curios stand. I personnally use them to hold a stuffed moose and a picture frame.
Ahh my sample is in but my wife missed the delivery try and I can pick it up tomorrow \:\) sweet. She asked me what I was getting and I told her the truth. A wood sample, KISS (keep it simple stupid) then she asked me what it was for, again KISS, I said to look at it to see if you like the wood or not. She then proceded to ask me for what again.....at this point I broke down and said furniture for the house.............is that a lie??? M80 = HT furnature right?

later
Phil

That's the spirit. ;\)
Hopefully it's not going to be the wood sample for a new doghouse.
Adrian: LOL....
Or the coffin
Hey hey hey heyyyyyyyyyyy I will have you all know that my dog house is a 38ft Jayco 5th wheel. I have used it before and can use it again LOL.

And here I thought all you Axiom M80 guys were enablers the least you could do is help me come up with a good game plan here. I am also need help with an external amp or a sub to any ideas??? LOL

Later
Phil
 Originally Posted By: RickF

later
Phil

That's the spirit. ;\)

Rick is the only one that understands me...............
Hey hey hey heyyyyyyyyyyy I will have you all know that my dog house is a 38ft Jayco 5th wheel. I have used it before and can use it again LOL.

And here I thought all you Axiom M80 guys were enablers the least you could do is help me come up with a good game plan here. I am also need help with an external amp or a sub to any ideas??? LOL

Later
Phil

Sorry for our lack of support, Phil. HEY! ever thought about an Epic800 system in the Jayco \:D

"Honey, I'm not mad at you anymore, you can come out of the "doghouse"."

"Uhhh, I'll be a couple of hours, just watching 'District 9' at the moment...."
I thought of putting my RXV1000 in the trailer untill I used it to all 8 arua pros LOL. Now I am feeling the Axiom love......
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
Nope, you're boned.

Well I picked up the sample today and I didn't get boned or assoused. It was very nice but much bifferent than my maple Infinity's. Maybe it was the lack of sleep being up and working for 26hrs kinds takes the enthusiasm outta things. I will take it to work and leave it at my desk to stare are for a few days.

Later Phil
Does anyone have this in a light maple they could throw pics up of?
Come on down to Calgary and see my Light Maple system for your self ;\)

If/when I find my camera I will try to take some much better pics.......

© Axiom Message Boards