Axiom Home Page
Posted By: AdamM Silencing the ceiling - 02/02/10 12:46 AM
I have drop ceiling in my room and get some pretty annoying buzzing at select frequencies. Has anyone else addressed this issue that could share some insight or your thoughts?
Posted By: Adrian Re: Silencing the ceiling - 02/02/10 01:15 AM
Does it sound like the framework is buzzing, ie metal on metal?
Posted By: PhillipD Re: Silencing the ceiling - 02/02/10 01:18 AM
hmm I have a drop ceiling with all the joists filled with acoustic insulations down to within an inch of the tiles and have never experianced this. i wonder if it is the grid as Adrian suggested or maybe a tile that is out of place? My tiles are the drop down ones so they do not move but man that would have to be some frequency to move or shake a tile/grid. I could see the lows maybe doing it.

later
Phil
Posted By: RickF Re: Silencing the ceiling - 02/02/10 01:21 AM
Run some test tones and find out where the vibrations are that cause the buzzing and either shim the two surfaces with cardboard or you can also tape the seam ... the back of my TV has about 10 little pieces of cardboard shoved into some of the various panel seams that were vibrating.

Metallic A/C ducting tape works great in hidden areas, plyable caulking also works well.
Posted By: AdamM Re: Silencing the ceiling - 02/02/10 01:28 AM
I have been able to track it down when its buzzing and it seems to be the tracking mounted to the wall mostly and perhaps where the tracking meets each other.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Silencing the ceiling - 02/02/10 01:34 AM
I wonder if caulking the joints with some latex/silicone would help?
Posted By: RickF Re: Silencing the ceiling - 02/02/10 01:34 AM
I'd probably get a tube of a good pliable caulking and try to run a thin bead of caulk along the seams maybe.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Silencing the ceiling - 02/02/10 02:24 AM
or used chewing gum.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Silencing the ceiling - 02/02/10 03:17 AM
Buzzooka?
Posted By: PhillipD Re: Silencing the ceiling - 02/02/10 03:21 AM
hubabubba babab bubba ba
Posted By: RickF Re: Silencing the ceiling - 02/02/10 03:23 AM
Without the buzz.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Silencing the ceiling - 02/02/10 06:01 AM
ooka?
Posted By: AdamM Re: Silencing the ceiling - 02/02/10 02:29 PM
Ok so I spent the rest of the night bubbleguming the ceiling together and I think I've got it. I just grabbed a box of drywall screws and a stack of paper, ran some frequency tests then screwed and shimmed untill content. Thanks for the suggestions I wasn't sure if there was a more professional way of going at it but this seem to do the trick.
© Axiom Message Boards