Axiom Home Page
Posted By: snazzed DIY Subwoofer resources - 02/25/10 05:44 PM
Ok, someone posted a link to a Sub Driver, the Exodus Maelstrom 21" in a thread here recently. While I'm not actually interested in such a large sub, it got me thinking about DIY subs and building different enclosures.

This is a call for any good links you guys may have for DIY Subs. Parts, enclosures, designes, articles, whatever.

Thanks in advance
snazzed
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: DIY Subwoofer resources - 02/25/10 06:22 PM
I built a Vance Dickerson Titanic 12" sub from partsexpress.com. Nice sub.
Posted By: snazzed Re: DIY Subwoofer resources - 02/25/10 06:46 PM
Side note: I can't find the link that the person posted about that 21" Exodus Maelstrom. If whoever that was, could post it again here I would appreciate it.

Thanks again
snazzed
Posted By: Adrian Re: DIY Subwoofer resources - 02/25/10 06:54 PM
Probably FredK mentioned it(Maelstrom) if I recall.

As far as sub kits go, you can find diy's on ED's site, as well as some projects on Creative Sound, Parts Express, Solen Audio, Madisound, Meniscus Audio, Speaker City ect ect ect.
Posted By: JaimeG Re: DIY Subwoofer resources - 02/25/10 06:56 PM

A few years ago I was toying w/ the idea of building an Infinite Baffle sub
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: DIY Subwoofer resources - 02/25/10 07:51 PM
I always liked the idea behind the Rythmik Audio subs.

Check out DIY forums at PartsExpress (TechTalk), HTGuide, DIYAudio, maybe even AVS if you can stomach it.
Posted By: fredk Re: DIY Subwoofer resources - 02/25/10 08:09 PM
Here is the link to the Exodus Audio sub driver page.

Hometheatershack has an excellent set of forums for subwoofer design and build including a link to WinISD, a driver modeling program that you can use to model various subwoofer drivers and enclosures.

Creative Sound Solutions is another good sub driver vendor. I see they have the SDX 10 on sale at the moment. Thats an excellent driver for smaller enclosures.

Although I have played with WINisd a fair bit, I have not yet built a DIY sub. In picking up the EP350, I made the 'mistake' of buying a very good sub the first time around that gets me 95% of the way to music Nirvana and 80% of the way to HT Nirvana. I have a hard time justifying another $700-1K it would take to best the EP350.

That said, the Malx-21 with a 1500w pro amplifier (and a VERY big cabinet) would get you more sub than almost any commercial sub out there.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: DIY Subwoofer resources - 02/25/10 08:52 PM
Right on, Fred. Don't know how I could forget about the Shack.
Posted By: fredk Re: DIY Subwoofer resources - 02/26/10 02:31 AM
 Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
Right on, Fred. Don't know how I could forget about the Shack.

Anyone got a spare 700 clams so I can test out my hypothesis?
Posted By: CatBrat Re: DIY Subwoofer resources - 02/26/10 02:34 AM
 Originally Posted By: fredk

No, but I might be able to pick a few fleas off of my cat, if that would help a little.
Posted By: fredk Re: DIY Subwoofer resources - 02/26/10 02:38 AM
 Originally Posted By: CatBrat
 Originally Posted By: fredk

No, but I might be able to pick a few fleas off of my cat, if that would help a little.

Scratch that.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: DIY Subwoofer resources - 02/26/10 04:24 AM
I am thinking that in my next home theater (v4.0) that I am going to build a DIY sub that is actually integrated unto the front "stage" below my screen. If done correctly, it should smooth out the bass by being a 2nd subwoofer for the room, but the problem would be that it would be in a permanently fixed location.
Posted By: jakewash Re: DIY Subwoofer resources - 02/26/10 04:38 PM
A permanently fixed location is not a problem as long as that location the ideal spot, performance wise, for the sub to be located ;\)
Posted By: nickbuol Re: DIY Subwoofer resources - 02/27/10 01:14 AM
Yeah, but it would also need to look good, like right in the center. Not sure how that would made for the best 2nd sub location for sound. Just something I've toyed with over the years, nothing serious yet.
Posted By: BigHonu Re: DIY Subwoofer resources - 03/02/10 05:30 AM
Home Theater Shack is a very good resource. I built my Tempest DIY sub with the help of that forum.
© Axiom Message Boards