Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Espazito M50v2 riser/stand help. - 03/25/10 11:49 PM
Dear Ax Heads,
I’m currently using 2x M50v2’s as surrounds in a 5.1 configuration. They’re placed behind the couch, which is the main listening position, and for the most part, are firing directly into the back of said couch. The speakers are 35.5” tall and the couch is roughly 34” tall. Are there any riser or stand solutions; prefabricated, DIY templates/ideas, or otherwise, that could perch the speakers higher, say roughly 10-15” whilst being easy on the eyes? The speakers are sandwiched, for lack of better term, 4” from the back wall and 10” from the couch in question. I need to raise these puppies up. And yes, the wife would freak if I repositioned them bookending the couch, flanking firing in towards the seating position. Also, moving the couch forward is not a viable option/solution. Quite the quandary, your input is welcome.
Many thanks in advance!
Posted By: cb919 Re: M50v2 riser/stand help. - 03/26/10 12:24 AM
Welcome to the forums Espazito.

If you're not afraid of some basic DIY solution, why not build some simple boxes out of 2x8 or 2x10's and cover with carpet to match your flooring or M50 cabinets? You could fill the boxes with insulation or sand to help eliminate resonance.

Or a completely different solution - use the M50's in a stereo setup in a different room and buy some QS8's as your surrounds?

Cheers,
Posted By: Adrian Re: M50v2 riser/stand help. - 03/26/10 01:31 AM
If they are more-a-less out of sight, you could have either one long or two short, low mounted shelves behind the couch, kinda like a sofa table but in shelf form, attached to the wall studs.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: M50v2 riser/stand help. - 03/26/10 01:04 PM
I'd try it with some milk crates to see how that works, and if I'm not misunderstanding you and they won't be visible, I'd leave them on there if you like the sound! \:\)

Welcome, by the way!
Posted By: Adrian Re: M50v2 riser/stand help. - 03/26/10 04:40 PM
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
I'd try it with some milk crates to see how that works

Might as well use a couple of beer cases then, at least you can empty them first and if it doesn't have any affect on the acoustics, you probably won't care anyway ;\)
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: M50v2 riser/stand help. - 03/26/10 07:09 PM
As usual, Adrian is planning his life around heavy drinking on the ball!
Posted By: Espazito Re: M50v2 riser/stand help. - 04/14/11 11:48 PM
Old post. Just checking-in to see if anyone has any updated input.
thnx
Posted By: jakewash Re: M50v2 riser/stand help. - 04/15/11 12:40 AM
The simple box idea would be easiest but I would sand fill them to keep unwanted harmonics out of the equation.
© Axiom Message Boards