Axiom Home Page
Posted By: 2packer mp3 player ipod itunes ? - 05/20/10 12:46 AM
I took a bunch of my cd's and had to convert them into my computer as a wav file and then download them onto my mp3 player. It seems with quite a few of the sonds the sound quality is quite a bit worse.

Now I got an ipod. I bought a few songs on itunes and took all my converted wav files on my computer and imported them into itunes. When I listen to my ipod I can instantly tell what songs were purchased on itunes and which were converted wav files.

My question is if I take the original cd and import directly into itunes will that make them sound better over the wav converted files? It's really time consuming to do all of them. Will it sound the same as the one's I purchased on itunes?
Posted By: element50 Re: mp3 player ipod itunes ? - 05/20/10 02:29 AM
Hi 2packer
Yes if you take yours cd and import them directly to itunes, the quality will better( if their are the original cd \:\) a got the same problem with my mp3 too, itunes using mpg4 .
Posted By: Glitchy Re: mp3 player ipod itunes ? - 05/20/10 02:41 AM
 Originally Posted By: element50
Hi 2packer
Yes if you take yours cd and import them directly to itunes, the quality will better( if their are the original cd \:\) a got the same problem with my mp3 too, itunes using mpg4 .

I'm confused isn't a wav a one to one of the CD?
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: mp3 player ipod itunes ? - 05/20/10 02:48 AM
A 44.1 kHz, 16-bit, stereo PCM wave file will be the same as what's on the CD, unless there were errors during the rip.
Posted By: 2packer Re: mp3 player ipod itunes ? - 05/24/10 02:35 AM
found my issue. When uploading the songs into itunes the default is 128k. There is a setting to change it to 256k. Much much better.

I also found this cord to purchase as my avr has an idock in the back. Hopefully that will also improve the sound quality when I'm playing the ipod through the avr instead of using the rca hookups in the front.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/produc...&seq=1&format=2
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: mp3 player ipod itunes ? - 05/24/10 05:50 PM
That cable probably isn't going to change anything. It's still an analog connection.

What AVR do you have? There may be a way to make a digital connection so it does the decoding. My Pioneer lets me plug in an iPod or other mass storage MP3 player over USB and it gets direct access to the files.
Posted By: 2packer Re: mp3 player ipod itunes ? - 05/24/10 07:35 PM
I have a Denon AVR788
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: mp3 player ipod itunes ? - 05/24/10 08:50 PM
Unfortunately it looks like if you want the most complete connection from an iPod, you need the official Denon D-dock, part number ASD-1RBK. But that will allow you to use your remote to pick tracks iPod. As I said that cable you found is pretty much the same as using a headphone to RCA plug.

If you can enable the mass storage mode on the iPod, you could also plug it into the USB port on the front of the receiver. Then the Denon would read the files on the drive and play them directly. I'm not sure how well that's support by the iPod, but it works fine with things like Sandisk's Sansa players.
Posted By: 2packer Re: mp3 player ipod itunes ? - 05/24/10 09:21 PM
There are no usb ports on the front or back of my receiver.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: mp3 player ipod itunes ? - 05/25/10 03:51 PM
OK, so I went further to actually read the manual for your receiver and the D-dock. The cable you found for $2.26 does exactly the same thing as Denon's $129 dock.

I was just used to how Pioneer handles iPod integration, actually accessing the digital files, but Denon's docks compatible with your receiver are analog only.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: mp3 player ipod itunes ? - 05/25/10 05:22 PM
If you are looking for a dock, I got one of these last year for use with my iPod Touch 2G.

Using component cables, I hooked it into the VCR connections on my 1905 (since upgrade to 1910) for use in the great room. Replaced the need for a 5 disc CD player, plus the Denon is connected to the 46" LCD hanging on the wall, so the menus and cover art show up on the TV. Additionally, I can play video from the iPod (and show photos).

The attractive parts for the device were 1) the reviews on Newegg and Amazon were pretty good, 2) it wasn't a proprietary dock, so I could use it with any receiver from any manufacturer and 30 because of 2), it was also less expensive.

While its remote is functional, I also learned the codes into my universal remote and set up a macro to turn everything on with a single button. Works a treat.
© Axiom Message Boards