Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Ichigo_Kurosaki Stands or no stands? - 06/24/10 06:06 AM
Hi all! I just came across a new dilemma. Should I get QS8's stands or not? The fact is that I would rather have them on the wall, since they cannot be left on top of any shelves. Does anyone know if I can get some other stand for them besides Axiom ones?
Posted By: JohnK Re: Stands or no stands? - 06/24/10 06:26 AM
Ichigo, if you'd rather have them on the wall, then why not mount them on the wall, rather than using stands? If stands are used they shouldn't block the mid-woofer on the bottom, so if the stands don't have a bottom opening something should be used to raise the QS8s a couple inches to give the sound room to get out.
Posted By: fredk Re: Stands or no stands? - 06/24/10 07:06 AM
I agree. Put them on the wall. The on wall brackets shipped with the QS8 work very well.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Stands or no stands? - 06/24/10 03:14 PM
You can get other stands but you will most likely need to do some modifications or make a piece to keep the bottom of the QS8 a few inches above the mounting plate most speakers would sit on. I also recommend wall mounting using the T bracket the QS series is shipped with or the FMB Axiom sells.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Stands or no stands? - 06/24/10 04:26 PM
Maybe he didn't know they came with the T brackets?
Posted By: bridgman Re: Stands or no stands? - 06/24/10 11:41 PM
I would always go with wall mounting if you have walls in approximately the right place. The included T brackets hold the speakers up just fine, although I don't think you have room for banana plugs behind the speaker unless you mount the T bracket on a piece of wood with a cutout for the cables and fasten the wood to the wall.

At my previous house one was on the wall and the other was on a high table, resting on a couple of soup cans to keep the bottom woofer away from the table surface. You have to take the bottom grill off when using soup cans. Habitant cans work better than Campbells.

At my new house I don't really have walls in any kind of useful position for surround speakers, so my QS8s are on Axiom stands. The stands are expensive but by the time you finish assembling them they feel like they're worth the $$.

If you want to arrange some kind of alternative stand all you need is a small piece of wall-equivalent flat surface in the right place. You could run a couple of vertical 2x2s on some kind of heavy base, with a 1x6 or similar across the top of the 2x2s to hold the T bracket. Just remember that QS8s are surprisingly heavy for their size - each QS8 has the same driver count as a pair of M2s.

The Axiom stands do look very sharp, however, and if I ever get around to tidying the entire HT at the same time (rather than messying it up in the process of wiring something new in) I'll post some pictures.
Posted By: alan Re: Stands or no stands? - 06/25/10 01:47 PM
Hi,

Yes, like Bridgman, I highly recommend the Habitant soup cans, which I also used when I bought an apartment in Manhattan. I had to "import" the Habitant soup from Ontario, eat it, then use the cans.

The QS8s worked extremely well supported on the soup cans on top of a pair of old Mirage bipolar tower speakers that I was no longer using.

I'm sure other soup cans would be equally effective.

Cheers,
Alan
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Stands or no stands? - 06/25/10 01:55 PM
The Cambell cans might better fit Boston Cherry! ;\)
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Stands or no stands? - 06/25/10 01:55 PM
I couldn't buy a food product from a company called "Habitant".

To me, I always associate that name with "Habitrail" every time I see it, and thinking "Rodents in Tubes" doesn't make me want to buy a canned food item.

I would double-blind Progresso v. Campbells first, maybe with something from "Baked Beans" category of products thrown in.

Not B&M, though. Do I have to tell you what I associate with THAT name?

Things are complex and busy in my head.
Posted By: Ichigo_Kurosaki Re: Stands or no stands? - 06/25/10 03:33 PM
Well I think Cambell's cans will have to do the trick then! LOL Here I have never seen Habitant soup can. \:\)
Posted By: Ichigo_Kurosaki Re: Stands or no stands? - 06/25/10 03:35 PM
Otherwise I might just buy some soup cans from you guys? \:D
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Stands or no stands? - 06/25/10 04:01 PM
I definitely don't recommend the canned cheeseburgers that seem to be available in Japan. Somethings just shouldn't exist.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Stands or no stands? - 06/25/10 04:05 PM
 Originally Posted By: ClubNeon
I definitely don't recommend the canned cheeseburgers that seem to be available in Japan. Somethings just shouldn't exist.

Eewww, I don't blame the product, I blame the person who came up with or approved that idea.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Stands or no stands? - 06/25/10 06:00 PM
 Originally Posted By: alan
I had to "import" the Habitant soup from Ontario, eat it, then use the cans.

Leaving the soup in the cans seems to reduce vibrations. Cold Habitant French-Canadian Pea Soup has a similar consistency to the "bituminous felt" used inside the cabinets of several British bookshelf speakers in the 70s, although of course the colour is quite different.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Stands or no stands? - 06/25/10 06:03 PM
I prefer the "Boston" or East Coast sound of Chowdah.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Stands or no stands? - 06/25/10 06:03 PM
 Originally Posted By: ClubNeon

I guess they're safe as long as they stay in the cans...
Posted By: CV Re: Stands or no stands? - 06/25/10 06:13 PM
I has canned cheezburger?
Posted By: alan Re: Stands or no stands? - 06/25/10 06:20 PM
Of course, greater mass = fewer resonances. I don't know why I didn't think of using full cans of Habitant soup. But then, if you felt like soup some cold winter night, one side of the QS8 would sag.

I agree with you on the consistency of cold French Canadian Pea soup. Even hot, the Habitant products are fairly thick. Habitant is based in Quebec, I think, although I haven't recently scrutinized a can.

Mark: I don't know what you're talking about. Vis-a-vis "Habitant", I think that's the nickname of the Montreal Canadiens hockey team -- the "Habs". Is it soup-related?

Bridgman, based on Canadian soil, will correct any errors on my part.

Ichigo: it's an Ontario/Quebec ritual of attending university in those provinces that you consume large cans of Habitant pea or lentil soup. It comes in giant cans. It's also superior to Campbell's.

p.s. I liked the canned coffee when I visited Japan.

Alan
Posted By: dakkon Re: Stands or no stands? - 06/26/10 02:49 AM
hey dont hate on Alan guys.... i used some Arizona tea cans for about 2.5 years when i lived in Hawaii......

my cans were unopened though...
Posted By: bridgman Re: Stands or no stands? - 06/26/10 03:47 AM
 Originally Posted By: alan
But then, if you felt like soup some cold winter night, one side of the QS8 would sag.

Good point. I had a pantry sized for a house in Darkest Scarborough, so eating my QS8 stands was never an issue. A pantry like that would be totally impractical in Manhattan so empty cans were probably the wise choice.
© Axiom Message Boards