Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Slitman Dented Cones - 06/25/10 02:17 PM
Aaaaggghhhh !

My 2 year old dented the domes on the speaker and they are recessed in. Is there a way to pull it back out and will my sound be affected ? Will I have to replace them all ?!!!!!
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Dented Cones - 06/25/10 02:22 PM
Some people have reported success with using a piece of tape to "pull the dent out", and others have reported success with VERY carefully using a vacuum.

If I were doing the vac thing, I'd make sure it wasn't under full pressure.

FWIW, the dustcaps would not effect the sound, but I can understand that it would bug you!
Posted By: Adrian Re: Dented Cones - 06/25/10 02:34 PM
If you use the vacuum method, make sure your wife is not watching...she'll realise that you DO KNOW how to turn it on.

I would try the tape method first.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Dented Cones - 06/25/10 02:36 PM
Good point. The "tape method" will also demonstrate that most of life's problems really CAN be solved with duct tape!
Posted By: snazzed Re: Dented Cones - 06/25/10 02:49 PM
My son did that as well... first day.

This is my first set of good quality audio gear and I had been planning the purchase for *months*. I ordered from the Factory Outlet and had been waiting for weeks for my highly touted M22s and QS8s to arrive. I had been talking about them for almost as long.

My Son was just as excited as I was because he had recently been introduced to the Movie Theatre and I had been talking about the speakers for weeks and telling him we would have a "Home Theatre" and we could watch The Incredibles!

We unpack the speakers and in true 3yr old fashion he's asking what everything is and "why". Stupid me, I take the grills off to show him.

Mason: *poke*

dustcap: *scrunch*

Me: "AAAAUGH!"

Wife: "Are you OK down there?!"

I seriously couldn't answer for a bit. Just couldn't talk! About a minute later all that came out of my mouth was, in a very small voice, "my speakers".

Tape worked. \:\)

snazzed
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Dented Cones - 06/25/10 02:51 PM
This is why I don't take my grill covers off, your just asking for kids to do this...The vacuum method has worked for me in the past, just don't use a super duper power vac. \:\) The longer the dent is there, the harder for the memory to go back to normal.

ps: there is a video on Axiom's Youtube channel on other methods.
Posted By: RickF Re: Dented Cones - 06/25/10 02:56 PM
My wife has accused me of having a dented cone for a number of years now and she has tried all sorts of strange methods for the fix, the frying pan method probably came the closest ... but no cigar.

Or so she says.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Dented Cones - 06/25/10 03:05 PM
(Dan Akroyd voice) We are from ... France ...
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Dented Cones - 06/25/10 03:40 PM
Yeah, if you're going to try the tape method, do it quickly. It never worked for me. I use my Dyson to pull out the caps, and it's worked for me just fine. Haven't ripped the cones off the spiders yet...
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Dented Cones - 06/25/10 03:44 PM
yeah, I usually slowly move the round vacuum attachment towards the cone and it will start to suck it into the black hole. I've never had to actually make contact or touch the cone, the sucking does all the work...
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Dented Cones - 06/25/10 03:49 PM
 Originally Posted By: Adrian
If you use the vacuum method, make sure your wife is not watching...she'll realise that you DO KNOW how to turn it on.

\:D
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Dented Cones - 06/25/10 03:51 PM
 Originally Posted By: snazzed
My son did that as well... first day.

This is my first set of good quality audio gear and I had been planning the purchase for *months*. I ordered from the Factory Outlet and had been waiting for weeks for my highly touted M22s and QS8s to arrive. I had been talking about them for almost as long.

My Son was just as excited as I was because he had recently been introduced to the Movie Theatre and I had been talking about the speakers for weeks and telling him we would have a "Home Theatre" and we could watch The Incredibles!

We unpack the speakers and in true 3yr old fashion he's asking what everything is and "why". Stupid me, I take the grills off to show him.

Mason: *poke*

dustcap: *scrunch*

Me: "AAAAUGH!"

Wife: "Are you OK down there?!"

I seriously couldn't answer for a bit. Just couldn't talk! About a minute later all that came out of my mouth was, in a very small voice, "my speakers".

Tape worked. \:\)

snazzed

That story was funny, sad, and scary all at the same time \:\)
Posted By: Slitman Re: Dented Cones - 06/25/10 05:59 PM
Thanks for everyone's feedback.

I tried the vacuum and it worked !! Sigh .. what a relief. I'm still worried it might affect the accoustics tho.

As for Adrian's comment about wife seeing me use the vacuum ... too late for that. I do all the vacuuming in the house !
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Dented Cones - 06/25/10 06:19 PM
No, the dustcap dents won't do anything to the acoustics. Now, a dent in the cone itself...
Posted By: Murph Re: Dented Cones - 06/30/10 02:41 PM
If you are afraid of the level of vacuum suckage, you could always use a tube and apply the suction via controlled lung power. In fact do that and post pictures... Promise we won't make fun of you!!

Much.
© Axiom Message Boards