Axiom Home Page
Posted By: smaggard EP350v3 Power Cord - 08/12/10 12:54 PM
Hi,

I recently purchased a pre owned EP350v3 and it arrived with no power cord. I have not yet heard back from the seller, perhaps he has it, but being UPS put a huge gash in the box I fear it fell out in shipment. Luckily the unit looks perfect but I am unable to test it without power obviously. The plug appears to be the same as a desktop pc and some monitors....is this right? Can I use one of these grounded cables or is this a special Axiom cable that they make just for subs?
Any info on this would be great! Happy to become a member of the Axiom family finally! smile
thanks!

Scott
Posted By: Philippe Re: EP350v3 Power Cord - 08/12/10 01:07 PM
Any power cord should work. Original power cord is a 3x18awg.
Posted By: smaggard Re: EP350v3 Power Cord - 08/12/10 01:07 PM
Great thanks for the quick reply!
Posted By: Philippe Re: EP350v3 Power Cord - 08/12/10 01:13 PM
No problem and welcome to the forum.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: EP350v3 Power Cord - 08/12/10 01:16 PM
There is nothing special or magical about the power cord Axiom supplies with the sub. Just use a 3 prong power cord (includes the ground) as the replacement. If you have an extra power cord from your computer or another device and if it is long enough that would be perfect.
Posted By: smaggard Re: EP350v3 Power Cord - 08/12/10 02:12 PM
Thanks all! I do have an old cable so I was able to plug it in and see it powered on (although I don't have my receiver yet so no way to fully test but that made me happy enough).

I may need to run it longer to get to my conditioner so I may pick up a heavier gauge 15 footer on EBay since they can be had cheaply enough (14 gauge for like $10).

Thanks again!!

Scott
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: EP350v3 Power Cord - 08/12/10 02:49 PM
You can get one here as well.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/produc...at=1#largeimage
Posted By: alan Re: EP350v3 Power Cord - 08/12/10 02:58 PM
Hi Scott,

It's a standard IEC 3-prong AC power cord.

Regards,
Posted By: alan Re: EP350v3 Power Cord - 08/12/10 03:03 PM
Scott,

Axiom advises against plugging its subwoofers and amplifiers into power conditioners, as the latter may limit current/voltage and cause problems with the subwoofer operation.

Besides, as JohnK will likely point out, the power supply of the subwoofer amplifier does all the "conditioning" required of the incoming AC signal.

Regards,
Posted By: smaggard Re: EP350v3 Power Cord - 08/12/10 03:46 PM
Great thanks for the advice Alan! Two of the outlets are labeled "hi current" and the manual states they do not limit current draw so I assumed that I should plug it into that port. However if Axiom recommends against it and the amp will be good and run better without doing this all the better (I don't need that long cord afterall). The PC is a Panamax 5100 BTW.

thanks again! smile

Scott

Originally Posted By: alan
Scott,

Axiom advises against plugging its subwoofers and amplifiers into power conditioners, as the latter may limit current/voltage and cause problems with the subwoofer operation.

Besides, as JohnK will likely point out, the power supply of the subwoofer amplifier does all the "conditioning" required of the incoming AC signal.

Regards,

Posted By: Philippe Re: EP350v3 Power Cord - 08/12/10 08:32 PM
I have my subwoofer and my reciever plugged into my power conditionner APC H10. Haven't see any problem at this time and i feel more safety when storm comming. Sometime i can see it work hard. Isn't a good way to regulate your voltage and avoid spikes ?
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: EP350v3 Power Cord - 08/12/10 08:51 PM
There's nothing wrong with surge suppressors, but "conditioners" often have a transformer of their own, which when placed before a high-draw device like a sub or amp, will limit current and hurt performance. Only if the conditioner states that it is not current limiting, should it be used before anything with a large amplifier.

Of course some esoteric, several thousand dollar power distributors (like the Weizhi Precision PRS-6), do nothing, so they're safe to use. Not that anyone should buy one in the first place.
Posted By: JohnK Re: EP350v3 Power Cord - 08/13/10 02:12 AM
Scott, welcome and let me point out that "the power supply of the subwoofer amplifier does all the 'conditioning' required of the incoming AC signal".

Okay, now that I've performed my basic function, I'll expand the comment. Amplifiers don't use the power that comes out of the wall socket. The transformer, rectifier and filter capacitors in the power supply section of the amplifier "condition" the AC which may be more or less "dirty" into clean DC for the output transistors to add to the incoming voltage signal to make it about 25-30 times stronger so that it can drive a speaker at a usable volume level. The result is that when these amplifiers/receivers are tested, the noise level is inaudibly low, regardless of the condition of the power coming out of the wall.

One of Monster's scams used to be(don't know if they still run it)that the salesman would plug the Monster noise analyser directly into the wall socket in front of the sucker(er, customer)and then smile while it vigorously hummed and howled. Then it was instead plugged into the Monster "conditioner" which was plugged into the same wall socket, and of course it was now quiet as a lamb.

Standard cords of 18ga(as Philippe mentioned)or thicker have plenty of capacity for the needs of audio equipment(a hair dryer is a tougher task), so use what you have or buy another for a few dollars.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: EP350v3 Power Cord - 08/13/10 02:20 AM
The salesman are still working hard pushing the high margin/high commission power conditioners, cables, screen cleaner and extended warranties on the poor unsuspecting consumers. mad

I received that same spiel/demonstration when I purchased my LCD. Of course they sold every possible Monster product on the market.
© Axiom Message Boards