Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Captain4105 M60v3...Thoughts On and Questions About - 10/15/10 05:50 AM
Hello Forum Fellows: Stirred on to buy Axioms before the price increase, I decided to buy M60v3's through the FO before that option became unavailable. I received them today and in an instant hooked them up (very easy).

I had read on this forum that Axiom speakers, for some, could be disappointing at first until one's ear acclimated to them and over time their appreciation of the speaker quality increased...apparently due to its accurate and neutral qualities. So while I was waiting for them to be delivered for the past three weeks I wondered whether or not my ear was sophisticated enough to appreciate them right off. And having been a classical musician with conservatory training and professional experience,I was concerned whether or not I would be satisfied.

Well both those questions were answered within five minutes and it was...yes! In comparison to my older speakers, I could sense an immediate increase in stage presence, an overall smoothness in timbre and a surprising increase in the quality of my subwoofer's performance, which I assume is the result of the excellent Axiom woofers tight and accurate reproduction of the mid-bass frequencies.

Well, the other surprise I am now experiencing is...I want more of what I "got." Wondering what M80's would sound like and wanting to upgrade after less than one half-an-hour of listening seems at first to be impetuous. But now I know what members have been writing about for the last couple of years since I have been frequenting this forum. So I don't think I'm off in wanting more right now. These speakers are smaller than I imagined so M80's could easily be accommodated in my bedroom (2000 cu ft). So, I have some questions for you....

I listen at very moderate levels but occasionally I will turn up the volume to reference levels. My understanding is that M80's perform better at lower levels (and at all levels) than do the M60's. That is an attractive reality to me. In your subjective opinion, for those of you who have compared the two, is the better low volume quality in the M80's, money aside, worth the upgrade?

I have an older late 1980's Denon stereo receiver and it runs about 45 watts per channel....I also am now using an older 1990's Technics receiver at about 55 watts which has served me well...would either of these receivers work to run M80's without problems? I do plan to upgrade...I am presently investigating the Denon AVR 2310 or 2311...but purchasing it will be sometime in the future.

OK, its been about two hours now and for the past 1.5 hours I've been watching (or rather listening to) a movie on TV (K-19 The Widowmaker) through the Axioms, and it is a truly remarkable experience...overwhelming. I have also listened to some Delibes (Coppelia)and Shostakovich (Symphony #5) and I am looking forward to hearing more delicacies and expanding my musical horizons with Axioms as my guide.
[i][/i]
Posted By: fredk Re: M60v3...Thoughts On and Questions About - 10/15/10 06:26 AM
Welcome and congratulations captain. I'm glad you are liking your new M60s.

Not sure what to say about upgrading. I compared the v2 M60 and M80 and there is a definite difference, but it is not huge. Unfortunately I didn't do any low volume listening during the comparison. They both sounded so good at higher volumes. grin
Posted By: JohnK Re: M60v3...Thoughts On and Questions About - 10/15/10 06:45 AM
Very good, Lee; not a bit surprising to me that you had no "break-in" period with your M60s. When I got my M22s I immediately fired up Mehta's performance of The Planets and was instantly thrilled by the sound. Now, about 8 1/2 years and maybe 25,000 hours of almost entirely classical listening later, still no break-in.

If for purposes of discussion it was assumed that the M80s were in fact audibly better, it seems to me that this would apply at all sound levels. Neither theory nor my personal experience(not with M60s/M80s)indicates that one of two fairly similar speakers using the same drivers would somehow have a more decided edge at lower volume levels.

Either of those receivers should supply enough volume, maybe just over 100dB on peaks, for fully-enjoyable listening.

Nice choices for music. My favorite Coppelia which I have is the Bonynge, which brings to mind the passing of Joan Sutherland a couple days ago. My favorite Shostakovich 5ths are the Jarvi and Previn. Listening to the KUSC stream at the moment.
Thanks John...I'll put one of my recordings of the Planets with Dutoit and the Montreal Symphony, an outstanding recording, on for comparison. Yes I read that Sutherland had died and she has left a great legacy for us to appreciate. I've been eying her La Sonnambula for a couple of years but haven't decided which of her two recording's to purchase...Callas' recording is also a possibility.

While I have your attention I was thinking about the M22's w/sub which I know you have advocated...one thing I noticed after my initial post and further listening (this time Beethoven's 7th) was to me a somewhat muffled or less assertive upper mid-range in the M60. My older system which is a satellite + sub system had a wonderful full and open upper mid and high range which I miss in the M60...but it may be too early for me to accurately judge and my expectations need to be tempered to be fair.

I'm thinking that rather than upgrading to M80's which may be better balanced in terms of overall reproduction, that M22's may satisfy my desire to replicate what I am used to in terms of a brighter upper mid-range sound at those frequencies since it has dual 5.25" mid-range woofers and would be a less expensive option. When I first inquired two years ago, Alan responded with this suggestion. I really enjoy my sub's performance to a much higher degree now with the M60's and wonder if M22's would compliment and bring out those same qualities in my sub in the same way? What think ye?
Posted By: JohnK Re: M60v3...Thoughts On and Questions About - 10/15/10 09:27 AM
Again, I have to emphasize that I've not heard the M60 or M80, but the M22s plus a good sub give me all that I want in musical enjoyment. The all-important mid-range in particular is outstanding for clarity, and as you note, it has two of the 5 1/4" drivers, while the M60 uses one there.

Yes, the Dutoit is one of the six versions of The Planets that I own, and it's excellent, but the Mehta(L.A. Phil)is my overall favorite and in second place I'd probably put Levi.
Posted By: casey01 Re: M60v3...Thoughts On and Questions About - 10/15/10 04:19 PM
Quite frankly, I have always been one that has a total disregard for the "myth" of a so-called speaker "break-in" period. Good speakers are good speakers and they will sound good right from the beginning. Prior to the end of the trade-in program I traded in a pair of V2 M60s for a pair of Vasallo series V3 M80s and quite frankly, I was surprised at how similar they sounded to one another. Although I couldn't do the comparison head to head, to my ears anyway, there were far more similarities in sound between the two models then differences.

I would add, however, having M22s as well, I always felt that at higher volumes and even with a sub, the M60s handled the mid/low bass range a little better with a little less strain compared to the M22s.

Either way, you will be more than satisfied.
Posted By: bdpf Re: M60v3...Thoughts On and Questions About - 10/15/10 05:55 PM
I got a chance to compare both side by side and although they sound very similar, I found the M80s to have a bit more detail on the upper mid range and significantly more bass. Both are excellent speakers.
Posted By: Philippe Re: M60v3...Thoughts On and Questions About - 10/15/10 06:34 PM
M80 will definitely have better bass output. I think you better to keep your exelent M60 who actually are 8ohm speaker vs 4ohm from the M80. Yes your actual gear could drive both pretty well but M80 require a little bit more power to give you best result. So like i said, before spending extra buck to upgrade from the M60 to M80, get some new amplification. wink
GL
I think Philippe makes an excellent point; unless you update your vintage amplification, you may not reap benefits from "upgrading" to the M80's.

I own the M60's and have heard M80's but not in the same room. My impression is that it is pretty difficult (or impossible) to distinguish between the two until you start to play them relatively loud.

On balance, I think the floorstanders just sound a bit "fuller" than the bookshelf models.

What subwoofer are you using or considering in conjunction with the M22's?

Since Larry hasn't chimed in yet, I will unabashedly encourage you to keep the M60's wink Perhaps experiment a bit with placement if you have not done so already.
Posted By: sonicfox Re: M60v3...Thoughts On and Questions About - 10/15/10 08:39 PM
Tom,

If I'm not mistaken, you have the M60tis, right? I have these too. Since you've heard the M80s, has the thought ever entered your mind to move up to the M80s, especially now that they have been upgraded t0 V3s...or are you completely satisfied with what you've got? It's just that I've thought about upgrading to the M80s for a long time, but I'm wondering if it really would be worth it.
Posted By: Adrian Re: M60v3...Thoughts On and Questions About - 10/15/10 09:47 PM
I thought that this was a bit of a lost opportunity during the gathering at Axiom last month...I know it would have been nice to hear some of the speakers in Axiom's lineup that I've never heard before, including their subs.

Of course, if a certain young lady hadn't have had a wee bit too much to drink that evening, she could have made it to Caledon and heard some M80's the next day grin wink
Yes, Mary, I believe my speakers are from 2004 and are the ti version.

Sure, I've thought about it. But not that seriously, for a number of reasons.

First, I'm cheap. Now that the V3's are out AND the tradeup program is gone, my existing M60's probably aren't really worth much to anyone but me. So, I'm not going to be able to offset the new purchase significantly by selling them off. Also, if I were going to make that kind of investment, I'd probably be seduced into some kind of custom finish, which drives the price up even higher.

Second, I don't listen to loud musical content regularly. Most of my M60 use is TV and movies. I've found that most of my music listening is done on other systems (in the car, at the office, in other rooms, etc). I'm driving them with an Onkyo receiver, which is quite nice and satisfactory, but is NOT a 200+ WPC amp. So, I'm less likely to benefit from the M80's increased power handling. There's a difference - FOR ME - between the auditioning experience and what really takes place on a day-to-day basis.

Third, God loves diversity and so do I. I really think Axiom makes great products and I'm proud to have them in my home. I also discovered that I enjoy building speakers, buying used speakers at good value, and listening to speakers from other manufacturers. Someday, I'll probably assemble a 2-channel system with tubes and other funky stuff. Axiom will get more of my business for a VP180 some day, and maybe some inwalls and who knows what-all. But there are other interesting paths in the audio forest.

Finally, I really do still like the M60's a lot. I'm convinced that any deficiencies I may periodically perceive are more related to my room and speaker placement than to the speakers themselves. Until I don't have to compromise with furniture arrangement and have a bit more acoustically isolated environment, it doesn't really make sense for me to have $2,000 speakers from ANY manufacturer. Wait, was that supposed to be in the "I'm cheap" paragraph?

Ultimately, I'd be spending a relatively large amount of money to "improve" the quality of the mains in the theater (living) room. And there might be other things that would improve that experience even more (a projector comes to mind). I suppose if I had no competing financial priorities, I would consider it more strongly. Since I have teenagers and need new floors, well, the real world beckons.
Since both the M60's and M80's have a very linear frequency response, I would imagine they sound equally good at low and moderate volumes. The M80's will give you more bass extension (by a whopping 3 hz) and higher spl, but with your current electronics, I doubt you would be able to drive either model to their potential. Plus if your sub is good, it may be redundant.

Therefore, I recommend some new amplification to the M60's to see what they are able to do before deciding to switch up to the M80's. I was driving mine with a Denon AVR-989 which is quite similar to the 2309 and they put out lots of sound. They really are great speakers for the $$.
Posted By: LRA Re: M60v3...Thoughts On and Questions About - 10/16/10 01:06 AM
I would recommend getting the M80 and be done with it! I first bought a pair of AX1.5 and upgraded to M22TI, and now I also got both M60v3 and M80. I have the M80 (& VP180) hooked to external amps and my M60 are hooked to a behringer EP2500. So if you buy the smaller speakers, you will always wonder how the bigger speakers sound. Go to the top and don't look back! :-)

The m60 aren't bad, but still not the same as M80..

As for a dedicated amplification, some disagree, but for me it's a must. All the Axiom speakers (starting with the M22) sounds very different when I connected them to a big amplifier. I currently used my Yamaha and pioneer AVR as preamp only. I got two additional amps in the living room and one external amp in the bedroom.

I still regret getting the M60v3 instead of another pair of M80
:-(
Thank you all for the interesting and thought provoking responses. Luc, I tend to agree with you in that purchasing the M80's would cover all my lingering questions once and for all. And since I am in the 30-day trial time-frame I need to make a decision within a few weeks.

But a few more questions for you all. Today was my 2nd day with the M60's and I listened to the Beethoven once again, this time with the volume up quite a bit. I also watched "Inglorious Bastards" with the Axioms and I think for movies they are quite good, but today I am disappointed with music reproduction in the classical genre which I listen to almost exclusively. By the way John, I haven't heard Mehta's Planets nor Levi's. I have owned or do own Karajan's Vienna recording on Decca and Steinberg's with the Boston Symphony, Ormandy with Philadelphia on RCA, as well as the EMI Boult classic recording (not impressive) and an old Westminster Boult with the Vienna State Orchestra that was horrific. In any case the speakers kept their composure or better said they seemed released from their acoustic barriers...the upper end sounded much improved and the speakers overall better balanced than at lower volumes. However, I don't often listen at high levels and I do desire a more open mid and high range at lower levels. So, what do you suggest I can do to improve their performance?

I do plan to upgrade my equipment to something like a Denon 2311. Will this help the sound open up? I am also using cheap thin wiring because it was already in place so I'll need to replace it. I don't have much flexibility for wall treatments or carpets, but I can move the speakers around a bit. I mentioned before these speakers have improved the bass response of my sub to a remarkable degree and I am very pleased with it. So unless the M80's improve the mid and upper end, you know open them up a degree to two at lower volumes, then to purchase them wouldn't help. So again, I'm thinking of M22's, but with them I may loose the great bass response because (I may be wrong) I think the improvement is due to the two woofers in the M60's. Any thoughts?
Posted By: fredk Re: M60v3...Thoughts On and Questions About - 10/16/10 04:20 AM
Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
Sure, I've thought about it. But not that seriously, for a number of reasons.

First, I'm cheap...

Dude, you drive a Mercedes. Better upgrade pronto or the neighbours are gonna start talkin'.
Posted By: CV Re: M60v3...Thoughts On and Questions About - 10/16/10 04:27 AM
Is going to M22s and replacing your sub with a new one an option?
Posted By: JohnK Re: M60v3...Thoughts On and Questions About - 10/16/10 04:35 AM
Lee, this may sound simplistic, but the first thing is to check to make sure that both tweeters are actually working. Verify that the connecting strips on the terminals are tight and listen to a high pitched tone with your ear near the tweeter.

A basic way to increase upper mids and treble is to try a 3-4dB boost on the treble tone control to see if this improves the openness at low to moderate volume.

Yes, a new receiver may help, but it has nothing to do with needing more power; at the levels that you use, your current receivers are fine with respect to maximum power. This would be even more the case with the M80s, which use a bit less rather than a "bit more" power than the M60s. I'd suggest that the benefit of a new Denon or Onkyo with Audyssey MultEQ would lie particularly in Dynamic EQ providing a better tonal balance(with the "Flat" curve)at lower listening levels.

Yes, the Steinberg is another of The Planets that I own.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: M60v3...Thoughts On and Questions About - 10/16/10 04:49 AM
When you say thin, how thin? Unless it's less than 16ga, I can't imagine that that's the problem.
Posted By: fredk Re: M60v3...Thoughts On and Questions About - 10/16/10 05:10 AM
Quote:
However, I don't often listen at high levels and I do desire a more open mid and high range at lower levels. So, what do you suggest I can do to improve their performance?

This is the big difference Jay (jakewash) found between the M60v2 and M80v2.

Hopefully he will chime in here at some point soon.
Holy Holst John!! I was listening to the Dutoit Planets recording while reading your reply. I did as you suggested and put my ear right on the tweeter and mid-range speaker of each unit and found the left tweeter quite muffled and very distorted. To verify I switched the wiring and once again the left speaker was still muffled and distorted. It must be a defective tweeter. So I'll give Axiom a call.

Funny, after reading this forum for so long and knowing such problems exist, I didn't think to check it out on my own speakers. That's the difference between theory and practice. Thanks.
Posted By: jakewash Re: M60v3...Thoughts On and Questions About - 10/16/10 07:12 AM
Originally Posted By: fredk
Quote:
However, I don't often listen at high levels and I do desire a more open mid and high range at lower levels. So, what do you suggest I can do to improve their performance?

This is the big difference Jay (jakewash) found between the M60v2 and M80v2.

Hopefully he will chime in here at some point soon.
That was indeed my perception with lower volume listening, M80v2 was cleaner crisper than M60v2. The M80v2 had better midrange and high frequency clarity over the M60v2. The M22/sub combo that JohnK uses has even better midrange/upper clarity, IMO, over the M80 as that combo lacks a little of the upper bass that blends in and yet washes out some of the lower midrange clarity.
Posted By: LRA Re: M60v3...Thoughts On and Questions About - 10/16/10 05:26 PM
Originally Posted By: Captain4105
So again, I'm thinking of M22's, but with them I may loose the great bass response because (I may be wrong) I think the improvement is due to the two woofers in the M60's. Any thoughts?

I don't recommend getting M22. I had them in my living room for a few years with a 12", they are nice but far from excellence. They ended-up in my computer room which is 10x8 and they sound better there. Don't expect any bass from M22ti, they won't deliver.

I have 4 different home theater systems, all with Axiom speakers. I tried all my speakers on my various receivers and I also have tried all my speakers hooked to an external amp. All of them sounded very different, different enough for my wife to ask me to get an external amp on all the systems that she uses.

No matter how high I crank the speaker on the receivers, I barely see the drivers moving. When adding an external amplifier, they aren't the same. Even at lower volume. I know that a lot of people looks at specs and doc and they say that most receivers are sufficient but I don't agree.

I encourage everyone to go at your local music store and lease a power amp for the week-end! you will never live day another without one.

Power amp do have noisy fans so I got Emotiva 2x fanless amps for the living room.
Posted By: sonicfox Re: M60v3...Thoughts On and Questions About - 10/16/10 11:17 PM
Originally Posted By: Adrian
Of course, if a certain young lady hadn't have had a wee bit too much to drink that evening, she could have made it to Caledon and heard some M80's the next day grin wink

Keep that invitation open Adrian. I'd love to come back and visit Canada soon! smile

As for M22s and a sub, I prefer my M60s better. Of course, I have only a small sub paired with my M22s, but it was very hard to mesh the two, IMO. If I had to do it all over again, I think I'd go straight for the M80s and not have to think twice. Anyhow, thanks Tom for your thorough reply. It made me appreciate what I already have...and I DO enjoy what I have as well. I can think of better ways to spend the money I DON'T have. wink
Posted By: Adrian Re: M60v3...Thoughts On and Questions About - 10/17/10 02:36 PM
You're welcome anytime, Mary.

Uhhh....'cept Halloween. Gotta give out candy to the neighbourhood brats, errr!!....I mean little darlings.... grin
Posted By: fredk Re: M60v3...Thoughts On and Questions About - 10/17/10 02:38 PM
We could come help you. I'm sure the neighbours would appreciate the 'unique' experience...
Posted By: Adrian Re: M60v3...Thoughts On and Questions About - 10/17/10 02:41 PM
"...don't go to the house on the corner...it's full of AUDIOPHILES!!!...."
Posted By: fredk Re: M60v3...Thoughts On and Questions About - 10/17/10 02:44 PM
"...don't go to the house on the corner...it's full of AUDIOPHILES AUDIOPILES!!!...."

Fixed.

Hmm.... Audiopiles with duct tape. Could be another branch of the Moose Lodge.
UPDATE! I've now listened to the M60's for two weeks. I've determined that I am bothered by what seems to me to be a lack of balance in the upper mid's and high register of the speaker vis-a vis the register of the rest of the speaker. Only when the volume is raised, not by much, do these speakers sing. In any case I called Axiom about my tweeter problem and made further inquiries about the M80 which from my reading may very well solve this dilemma...that is listening to the full and balanced range of music at moderate levels. I'll be using my older Denon stereo receiver which JC said may perform better than later Denons. They'll take back the M60's and pay shipping in exchange for the M80's and I get them at the old FO price. I am very pleased with the service received by Axiom and their staff. They are eminently customer oriented and its been a pleasure to deal with them. I hope the M80 does the trick! I'll report the results when available....meanwhile I'll be searching for a new AVR to power them....Lee
Posted By: JohnK Re: M60v3...Thoughts On and Questions About - 10/28/10 08:25 AM
Lee, I'd suggest listening before you start searching for a new receiver. Especially at the moderate listening levels that you use, your present receiver is highly likely to do the job, as I commented previously. The M80s use slightly less power than the M60s. Of course, if you want to expand into a surround setup, an HT receiver will be needed.
Yes John I plan to expand. I am doing a lot of reading on separates and have found the Emotiva UMC-1 processor and the XPA-5 amplifier are within financial and aesthetic reason...they really are quite attractive. Ive read some great reviews from Axiom owners indicating these components "bring life" to their speakers. But I am also aware of the problems Emotiva has had with 4 ohm loads...so I am cautious. Other separate's option suggestions for a 5.1 system are very welcome...Lee
Posted By: JohnK Re: M60v3...Thoughts On and Questions About - 10/29/10 08:41 AM
Lee, playing slightly louder with a new receiver or separate amplifier can appear to "bring life" to any speaker, but there's no factual support for any effect due to anything other than a volume change.
You do realize the UMC-1 is a flaming pile of doo-doo.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1218226
Geez, and I thought it was only a "hot mess" smile
Posted By: jakewash Re: M60v3...Thoughts On and Questions About - 10/29/10 08:34 PM
Lee, check out Outlaw Audio they have some very good products that are only slightly more expensive than Emotiva.

Your comment on the M60's sounding better once the volume goes up is reminiscent of how I have always said the M60's sounded much closer to the M80s at those levels. The M80s just sound good at all volume levels smile
Well, I am easily confused John. JC
Well, I am rather new at this...after all I do have "vintage" equipment which translates into arcane knowledge of technology and in my case, I'm not current. I know there are many views and theories about getting the best sound out of speakers. Like most, I would like to get the best sound from my speakers now and for any future expansion in a simple package. I suppose the easiest way to assure this is through an AVR...Denon, NAD, Rotel etc...rather than separates. My main goal for now at least is to maximize my listening and appreciation of classical music through the soon-to-be-delivered M80's. As I stated earlier I will be using a late eighties Denon stereo receiver. I re-read the manual and found I had made a mistake...the receiver is 55 watts per channel (not 45) with 0.02 THD and is also rated for 4 ohm speakers. I think it will suit me well for now. Jakewash's comment regarding the 80's vs 60's sounding better at lower volumes is the reason I traded up and went for the M80's.

So I'll continue reading and thinking about what power sources and applications and other accessories I'll need for expansion to HT, and with extra speakers around the house not being used I'll get a semblance of what an HT will sound like and an idea of the potential I may enjoy should I get serious about HT and surround. I know they probably aren't tonally the same as Axiom's but I just want an idea for now. And if motivated I'll coordinate the system's expansion with other Axiom's.
Originally Posted By: Captain4105
comment regarding the 80's vs 60's sounding better at lower volumes is the reason I traded up and went for the M80's.

And another myth is perpetuated based on a sole opinion unfounded by any blind testing but believed strongly and reported as fact because "they heard it".
At lower SPL bass often becomes anemic. The loudness button on older receivers was designed to boost bass at lower SPL such that the music would sound more full and appealing. If anything, the extra bass of the M80 could be causing a similar effect, but then more bass at low SPL isn't exactly an accurate reproduction of sound. It is just adding more bass.

I have to agree with JohnK on his comments through this thread Captain, and having heard the M80s and M60s in a switched comparison years back, you will find they sound so similar that unless you had a switched comparison, it is unlikely you will hear any actual differences that are not more based on preconceived biases already planted in your brain (like the one that they will sound better at low volumes and that they are somehow an "upgrade" to the M60s).
The differences are incredibly subtle and those that exist are for obvious reason:

1) M80s have a greater bass extension (larger speaker, bigger cabinet, more drivers)
2) the M80s play louder (larger speaker, bigger cabinet, more drivers)

If it was something forum folks learned from the Axiom Anniversary blind tests is that the differences between speakers truly is subtle and even after listening in comparisons for 5-10 minutes, the mind starts to switch around thoughts, impressions and even gets confused.
In returning the M60s and waiting to get the M80s, your audio memory of what the M60s were like has already been 'lost' or in the least, changed from actual.

I wish we had time at the Factory tour for a second round of blind tests to compare two speakers from the SAME manufacturer and lineup to demonstrate how much harder it is to discern the subtleties.
A third fun test would have been receiver vs. amp, or cable vs. cable, just for kicks.

All that being said, it is possible the Axiom speakers do not produce a sound that is your preference. If you like a richer midrange (arguably even if it not as accurate a reproduction), B&W makes speakers that i've always thought to have a more rich midrange, but there are tons of other good speaker brands out there.
Don't limit yourself to one brand but i do recommend you try to find brands that at least have credible R&D programs for making their products.
In this category, Axiom scores very high.
Posted By: jakewash Re: M60v3...Thoughts On and Questions About - 10/30/10 05:13 PM
Chess, I am not the only one that has heard this difference, the M60's do 'open up' when the volume moves beyond ~70-75 db. The sound stage becomes wider, Mojo noticed it as have a few others when commenting on the M60's. The M80's do not exhibt this to the same level, at least in the venues I have listened to them in. Mojo and I did as close to a blind session as possible and the differences were very noticeable when A/B tested. I will agree the differences might be less noticeable with a swapping out of the speakers and some time to forget the true sound of each but the M80s with their dual mids have a more forward presentation and this makes them seem more detailed.

But as you said this is only MY opinion others may not come to the same conclusion just like those listening tests done at Axiom, some still prefered the B&W.
Posted By: bdpf Re: M60v3...Thoughts On and Questions About - 10/31/10 03:03 AM
I have to agree with Jason on this one, Also both M60s and M80s sounded similar, the differences were more than subtle, at least to me. Then, it's up to the consumer to decide which one he likes best. I went to the factory to A/B them, I brought home the M80s, my friend however liked the M60s better.
I'll be able to compare and A/B the 80's and 60's in my own home before I send the 60's back.
Posted By: jakewash Re: M60v3...Thoughts On and Questions About - 10/31/10 03:10 PM
That's the best way. smile
I just got the Denon receiver back from my sister and hooked it up to the M60's. There is a definable difference in sound quality. The upper frequencies are much clearer...cleaner if you will. Mid-range is improved as well. Overall the speakers also seem better balanced than with the Technics receiver.

I remember back when I first bought this receiver in the very late 1980's. When I replaced my Sherwood with the Denon I had the same experience. I could immediately tell the quality of my listening would improve.
Posted By: Adrian Re: M60v3...Thoughts On and Questions About - 11/01/10 01:30 PM
I have an early 80's JVC receiver in my basement, rated 55 watts per ch. I wonder how/if it could handle Axioms at moderate levels....I don't think I'll try it with the M80's though.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: M60v3...Thoughts On and Questions About - 11/01/10 01:35 PM
At one point I had my early 90's JVC Pro Logic receiver hooked up to my old m60's, vp150, and a pair of Qs8's and it sounded very good. Haven't tried it with my 80's. smile
Posted By: Adrian Re: M60v3...Thoughts On and Questions About - 11/01/10 01:41 PM
What's happening with JVC these days? I don't really see them anymore.
Posted By: alan Re: M60v3...Thoughts On and Questions About - 11/01/10 04:52 PM
JVC seems to be heavily into the HD camcorder market in the USA.
In the past, JVC was a decent brand but not one I'd include in the first rank. Their video gear was quite good and they were certainly an innovator but in my experience, there were reliability troubles in the VCR days.

It's an old Japanese brand (JVC = Japanese Victor Company) and they did develop the VHS format, S-VHS, and VHS-D, the early digital tape format based on a VHS transport. Also, the VHS-HiFi format for hi-fi stereo soundtracks was significantly better than Beta Hi-Fi.

Regards,
Alan
Posted By: Adrian Re: M60v3...Thoughts On and Questions About - 11/01/10 04:56 PM
Thanks, Alan. The name "JVC" has all but disappeared around here but I admittedly haven't looked at the camcorder market.
Originally Posted By: JohnK
Lee, this may sound simplistic, but the first thing is to check to make sure that both tweeters are actually working. Verify that the connecting strips on the terminals are tight and listen to a high pitched tone with your ear near the tweeter.

The more I read all these posts..the more I know that I don't know anything...I didn't even bother checking my speakers...they seems to sound good to me but didn't check each speakers for issue...I guess coming/owning HT in abox before and upgrading to Axiom speakers is like night and day.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: M60v3...Thoughts On and Questions About - 11/01/10 05:36 PM
If they sound good to you, don't stress on it.
Posted By: jakewash Re: M60v3...Thoughts On and Questions About - 11/01/10 06:13 PM
My parents bought a JVC VHS player in the late 70's. I seem to remember them having it before Star Wars came out so pre 77. They had it till after cd's came out without issue. Just because of how long this lasted I always thought JVC made some good products.
My JVC HDILA RP HDTV (whew!) totally rocks. It has a great picture. I think a401classic and perhaps a couple others have the same set.

I believe that a vintage Denon might sound better than a vintage Technics. But, you know, I'm not one of the science guys.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: M60v3...Thoughts On and Questions About - 11/01/10 06:59 PM
BUUUUUUURN THE WITCH!
Yeah, it's probably overdue.
JVC was king when S-VHS formats ruled the prosumer video market. I hadn't bought any JVC Pro products for awhile, but just chose JVC cameras for my HD facility upgrade. I'm very happy with them!
What's happening with JVC these days? I don't really see them anymore.

They are the front runners in the digital projector market for those who like high on/off contrast, have been for about five years. Their newest, pending release machines are going to have a lot of folks talking.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: M60v3...Thoughts On and Questions About - 11/01/10 09:27 PM
Originally Posted By: kcarlile
BUUUUUUURN THE WITCH!

Check to see if she floats first!
Posted By: medic8r Re: M60v3...Thoughts On and Questions About - 11/01/10 09:48 PM
I'm sorry, I thought this was a thread on Christine O'Donnell. Never mind. Carry on.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: M60v3...Thoughts On and Questions About - 11/01/10 11:02 PM
There is a broom on the Wikipedia page....
Posted By: CV Re: M60v3...Thoughts On and Questions About - 11/02/10 04:10 AM
Originally Posted By: michael_d
They are the front runners in the digital projector market for those who like high on/off contrast, have been for about five years. Their newest, pending release machines are going to have a lot of folks talking.

I haven't kept up on them. Do you think you could post links when they start to surface?
You can pre-order them right now from AVS. They should start shipping sometime in December. There is the RS40, RS50 and RS60 in the Pro line with counterparts in the regular line. They all have 3D, which I couldn't care less about, but they have increased 2D performance in many areas from last year's models. The RS40 has a price point that folks who are looking at Panasonic and Epson will like.

Here is the thread at AVS. Way too long and off topic with the typical BS, but all the info you might be interested in.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1277429
Posted By: CV Re: M60v3...Thoughts On and Questions About - 11/02/10 06:34 PM
Thanks!
Just an update...I ordered M80's to compare them to the 60's. I first listened to the M60's using Bruckner Symphony #6...Michael Gielen & the SW Radio Orch, Baden-Baden on a Hanssler dig. recording. Then I quickly hooked up the M80's and listened once again. I immediately heard what I wanted with the M80's, a more forward sounding speaker in the upper and middle range and an even fuller lower range than with the 60's. I then listened to some Kabalevsky (Comedians) & Rimsky Korsakov (Capriccio Espagnol). With my former speakers (and even with my sub), this recording (Sawallisch & Bayerisches Staatsorchester on a dig. EMI recording) has always sounded thin with a lack of lower and lower-middle support. The M80's changed all that and brought this recording into a different dimension with a full middle and lower undergirding of sound that balanced out the entire recording. Impressive! I then put on a movement of a Schubert Trio which was bewitching, and today I finished my test off with Bruckner's Symphony #4 (Jochum and the Berlin Phil. on DG). The recording was produced in 1965 and digitally remastered. It has a wonderful sonorous playback on the M80's that with my eyes closed could almost replicate a cathedral setting in terms of sound.

To be sure both M80's were working properly, I did as John K. had suggested earlier and put my ear to each driver. To my surprise, one tweeter wasn't working at all. JC indicated it was a problem with the crossover so a new M80 is on its way.

I am very satisfied now, and to top it off, I was able to buy the M80's at the old FO price. I am another satisfied Axiom customer.
Welcome to the club!
Posted By: bdpf Re: M60v3...Thoughts On and Questions About - 11/15/10 02:35 PM
I'm glad you finally found what you were looking for! Welcome to the club smile
Posted By: jakewash Re: M60v3...Thoughts On and Questions About - 11/15/10 06:43 PM
I KNEW you would like the M80's, welcome to the club, the M80 owners club secret decoder ring is on its way wink .
Posted By: Adrian Re: M60v3...Thoughts On and Questions About - 11/15/10 06:48 PM
That's decoder ring...."V3"!!
Posted By: jakewash Re: M60v3...Thoughts On and Questions About - 11/15/10 06:49 PM
smile
You guys are overcompensating.
Posted By: Adrian Re: M60v3...Thoughts On and Questions About - 11/15/10 07:36 PM
::: pokes Tom in the eye with decoder ring :::
Ow!
::: pokes Tom in the eye with decoder ring :::

And does that V3 decoder ring have a white areola or a black one?
Posted By: Adrian Re: M60v3...Thoughts On and Questions About - 11/15/10 09:54 PM
White.

...and it's magnetic of course.
Posted By: JohnK Re: M60v3...Thoughts On and Questions About - 11/16/10 02:27 AM
Good listening, Lee. Re the Sawallisch recording, which I don't know, an outstanding collection of similar repertoire which you should enjoy is the classic Kondrashin performances, available here at dirt-cheap prices.

Oh, and as to the M80s, it would appear that since one tweeter works, it isn't the treble section of the crossover, but more likely the silent tweeter itself or a loose wire connecting it to the crossover. Since Axiom will send you another speaker, the exact cause is moot as far as you're concerned. Enjoy that great music, but I hope that you don't like it better with just the one tweeter!
Thanks for the good wishes John. BTW, I have the Kondrashin cd but have have not considered it a classic like so many others have. The only piece I find outstanding is the Masquerade Suite. The Capriccio Espagnol by Dorati & the London Sym on Mercury (SACD) is so much more alive, sparkling, and vigorous than any other version I have heard and its sound is astounding. Capriccio Italien is better heard by Jansons with Oslo or Litton with Bournemouth. The Comedians on Kondrashin's recording is quite good however but not quite what I wanted. I actually sought out the Sawallisch recording to add an alternative Comedians to my collection. P.S.: I actually have a double cd (burned) of Michael Jackson, an artist I never listen to, but today I put him on to hear what pop music would sound like through the M80's and my 1979 Speakerlab subwoofer...wow, everything was outstanding and with great bass! My old 55 watt per channel Denon is performing beautifully.

And to all the other M80 owners, I am happy to be a member of the club, and look forward to the decoding ring delivery.
© Axiom Message Boards