Axiom Home Page
Posted By: icehawk21 Recommended speaker toe-in - 11/12/10 03:58 AM
What is the recommended speaker toe-in for M60s? Putting my speakers back together and they are now ~10ft apart from each other and ~11.5ft from the main listening position. Previously I had them toed-in so that they aimed approximately 1 seat (~1.5-2ft) to either side of the main listening position. I didn't emply any science when I initially did this - it simply looked right. But I didn't play around much with their placement best since I'm not really sure I could tell the difference smile They seemed to sound good anyways.

What toe-in do others use/suggest for M60s?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Recommended speaker toe-in - 11/12/10 04:00 AM
However they sound good. Every room and placement is different.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Recommended speaker toe-in - 11/12/10 04:03 AM
Bryan, the general idea is to have the tweeters pointed at your ears.
Posted By: grunt Re: Recommended speaker toe-in - 11/12/10 04:12 AM
Like Ken says toe-in is dependent on the situation. One of the best ways I know of to find the right toe-in is to sit in the sweet spot while someone else adjusts the speakers while you listen. However, this still has it’s problems since different tracks can sound better or worse than others with the same amount of toe-in. Also if you are adjusting for multiple seating this doesn’t account for the effects on the other seats.

One way to start is listen with no toe-in at all. Then point the speakers straight at you. While listening have someone change the angle of the speakers and find the place in between where you most like how the front soundstage sounds.

Also be aware that what sounds best for 2ch might not sound the best with multi-channel. And if you are using DSP to convert 2ch to multi-channel you might also want to play around with the DSP setting for the width and depth of the front soundstage.

Sorry just to many variables for a simple answer.

Posted By: SirQuack Re: Recommended speaker toe-in - 11/12/10 05:21 PM
every room is different Bryan, you will need to experiment. I found that if I have my M80's pointing about 2ft behind my head it sounds great. My M80's are about 11-12ft apart and I tried many variations before settling on this.
Posted By: RickF Re: Recommended speaker toe-in - 11/12/10 06:32 PM
Our 80s are toed in about like Randy's, seems like I aimed for a four-five foot spot behind the listening position and if I remember correctly I came about that target zone from the Rives room setup recommendation and ours are also 11-12 feet apart.

Speaker placement can be fun, just be patient and give each movement that you like a day or two and whenever you get the right potion nailed, you'll know it.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Recommended speaker toe-in - 11/13/10 12:10 AM
Experiment with different toe in options and use whatever you prefer.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Recommended speaker toe-in - 11/13/10 12:14 AM
Bryan, I have zero toe in with my M80s.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Recommended speaker toe-in - 11/13/10 12:51 AM
heck, you could even try toe out.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Recommended speaker toe-in - 11/13/10 12:59 AM
I don't have any tow-in on my M80's either. Oh, wait, I don't have any M80's.
Posted By: snazzed Re: Recommended speaker toe-in - 11/15/10 08:09 PM
The way my room is set up the R speaker is roughly aligned with armrest on the R side of the couch. No Toe-ing

The L speaker is actually about 6" inside the couch and is slightly towed out as a result.

snazzed
© Axiom Message Boards