Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Zarak PS3 media server - 01/20/11 02:34 PM
Is anyone using this?

From what I understand, the XBox can act as a media center extender for windows media center. The PS3 doesn't do this, or at least not with all the fuctions of the xbox. Does this software take care of it for you so it works? Does this run as your media center instead of what is built into Windows?

This is the first time I've heard of it, so I'm looking for more info.
Posted By: Tariq Re: PS3 media server - 01/20/11 08:39 PM
it does a few things out of the box.

Does this help?
http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/connectdlna.html

Posted By: ClubNeon Re: PS3 media server - 01/20/11 08:45 PM
The PS3 can access media over the network when served by any standard DLNA server. Windows Media Player can function as such a server, but is limited in the types of media it handles. Something like the program you linked to can convert media on the fly into a type compatible with the PS3.
Posted By: Dduval Re: PS3 media server - 01/20/11 11:28 PM
Been using PS3 media server for over a year now and it's fantastic. Serves up all my loss-less flac files (and just about every other type of media file) perfectly.

Dana
Posted By: cb919 Re: PS3 media server - 01/21/11 03:00 PM
Hey Dana, how do you serve the FLAC to the PS3? Are you running the PS3 media server on a PC?

I use a DNS-323 NAS but as Chris pointed out (for WMP) the built in DLNA server in my DNS-323 is also limited on the types of files it can serve out. I use my Sonos system to play all of my music including my FLAC files, but I'd love to remove this restriction for my PS3 just for the convenience (and because it bugs me!)
Posted By: jakewash Re: PS3 media server - 01/21/11 07:00 PM
I have installed Twonky server on my DNS-323 and it works much better than the D-link server.
Posted By: cb919 Re: PS3 media server - 01/21/11 09:42 PM
Jason, good idea, does Twonky serve up flac to the PS3?
Posted By: jakewash Re: PS3 media server - 01/22/11 12:16 AM
Not sure, I don't have a PS3.......yet. I should think so since it serves up FLAC to my 3808. All you need to know to mod the 323 can be found here

First thing you have to do is load Fonz Fun Plug, once that is done you are pretty much set to load just about anything you want onto the 323.
Posted By: Dduval Re: PS3 media server - 01/22/11 01:09 AM
Originally Posted By: cb919
Hey Dana, how do you serve the FLAC to the PS3? Are you running the PS3 media server on a PC?

I use a DNS-323 NAS but as Chris pointed out (for WMP) the built in DLNA server in my DNS-323 is also limited on the types of files it can serve out. I use my Sonos system to play all of my music including my FLAC files, but I'd love to remove this restriction for my PS3 just for the convenience (and because it bugs me!)

Yes for the PC.
I just have a d-link wireless router with a cable modem...PS3 hardwired into my D-link, choose my flac folder in media server and presto! Then I just browse thru the PS3 and choose my fav songs...

Dana
© Axiom Message Boards