Axiom Home Page
I just received my M80's in High Gloss Cherry. I have to say I'm not very happy with the finish. When I received my M60's they were spotless. On the M80's I'm seeing a lot of ...not properly glued or finished finish...as well the cones seem to be not properly fitted or something along that line. THis is on both speakers.

I've attached some pics. I'd like your opinion if this is acceptable and I'm making too much of an issue.

I would not consider those to be A-Stock. Now the question is did you buy them as B-Stock (auction) or from the website as A-Stock?
I bought them from AStock. I never asked for B Stock. Plus I did pay full price. The price I paid was the same as when you go to the product page and select the speakers with the custom finish.

Not sure if I should have posted this is as I didn't want to make Axiom look bad or anything like that. Just wasn't sure if this is what anyone considers acceptable. Just want to make that clear.
From the pics, I think it is worth contacting Axiom. I would be disappointed if I paid extra $ for a custom finish and it had that many imperfections. I expected shipping damage but that does look more like factory imperfections. Only a guess based on pics, of course.

I'm pretty mellow and a single blemish I might live with vs. the hassle of negotiating a return but I think that there is enough there to warrant the discussion of what might be done for you.
I'd CALL Axiom and ask them to make it right. I don't think those defects are acceptable for custom finish A-stock.
Just not sure what to do take a discount or have new ones resent. I'm just afraid that once you have an issue with the finish it will ruin that much more quicker.

I sent an email to JC as he was the one I had dealt with.
The finish of those speakers is horrible - totally unacceptable even for B stock. They look like they were dragged across the ground. If that is how they arrived they should be returned for replacement or refund.
I thought this was a joke at first. The person who made and/or sent these must of been drunk or something.
Wow that finish is unacceptable. I am considering ordering a pair of M80's with a custom wood finish. When I see that type of craftmanship it is very concerning. There seems to be a large disconnect between everything that is said about Axiom speakers the craftmanship and the ones that were delivered.

I think Axiom should chime in and provide their perspective as to what happened and more importantly what the resolution will be.
If these speakers were custom ordered and 'full' price they shoud never have left the plant. But that is my opinion.
Perhaps his wife tried to "Antique" them???
I've never understood taking perfectly good furniture and beating it with chains and sandpaper but whatever...
I received an M2 with the VaSSallo wood finish last week in perfect condition. I have a total of 9 Axiom speakers, and have ordered a total of 12, but sent 3 back, a little at a time over the past 1 1/2 years. All A stock and I never saw a flaw on any of them.
Originally Posted By: Westcoast
Wow that finish is unacceptable. I am considering ordering a pair of M80's with a custom wood finish. When I see that type of craftmanship it is very concerning. There seems to be a large disconnect between everything that is said about Axiom speakers the craftmanship and the ones that were delivered.

I think Axiom should chime in and provide their perspective as to what happened and more importantly what the resolution will be.
If these speakers were custom ordered and 'full' price they shoud never have left the plant. But that is my opinion.

Well keep in mind that my M60's, VP150 and QS4's all arrived in absolutely perfect condition. I definitely believe this is a one off for Axiom.
No way I'd live with them like that. Somebody at Axiom dropped the ball. I wouldn't wait for them to return an e-mail, I'd call them directly.
It almost looks like it received some rough handling during packaging and the person responsible didn't want to speak up.

After relooking at the pictures. The marks on the cabinet had to have happened BEFORE the speakers were installed. That's just appalling. Are you sure this isn't a joke?
Well whose joke would it be? Not mine that's for sure! I now have M60's, M80's and two huge boxes sitting in my condo.
I wonder if it could have happened during shipping. The corners are where most of the problems are. Well except for 2 of the cones. Seems to me that if the speakers were handled a bit rough it might have caused some of the scuffing I'm seeing. But not quite sure. One box seems a bit more rough for wear.
What is the deal with the uneven resin or glue on the speaker cone edge? This seems odd when constructing a high fidelity speaker. What do others think of this?
Would this not compromise the sound quality?
Look at the 5th picture down, where it shows the 2 tweeters.

See how it shows scuff marks right up to the edge of the tweeter, but the tweeter itself shows no marks?

That's proof that this had to happen before the tweeter was installed.

Again on the last picture (7th). It shows scuff marks right up to the edge of the tweeter.
Are those glue stains on the actual HG cherry finish? That alone should cause that cabinet/speaker to be slated for the b-stock auction site even before assembly.
Actually the scuff mark on the 5th picture is just a reflection. I just took another look at that. When I look at the speaker I don't see the scuff mark. The picture was to show the cone which isn't properly seated. The speakers but off quite a reflection so it's hard to get a good pic.
In my opinion, they would be slated for the wood chipper stock.
If you are talking about the cone, yes it looks like I can see glue. But it's not on the HG CHerry itself.
So the last picture is just a smudge mark from the oils on your hand?
Originally Posted By: BlueJays1
So the last picture is just a smudge mark from the oils on your hand?

Don't think so since I didn't touch it when I took the pic. I just think it's a reflection of light. If taken from a different angle you wouldn't see a thing.
Viewing pictures from a computer are deceiving. That reflection shows up much differently than the reflections on the other pics on my monitor.
Just CALL them.

I think everybody who isn't Daniel needs to just relax a little. Remember, we only hear about problems, and if this was "normal", Axiom wouldn't be in business.
Originally Posted By: DanielBMe
I just received my M80's in High Gloss Cherry. I have to say I'm not very happy with the finish. When I received my M60's they were spotless.

Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
if this was "normal", Axiom wouldn't be in business.

As I mentioned in the past, from everything I see on this forum and my personal experience, it seems that Axiom's QC/QA has been going down considerably over the past year.
As for the glue on the cones, I also have those, I don't like it but can live with it even though it shouldn't be there.
Overall, the condition of the speakers are unacceptable for a A-stock custom finish, actually, it's unacceptable even for a B-stock standard finish.
The only thing I can say on Axiom's defense is that I am sure they'll make things right, but that doesn't change the fact that you're disappointed at this very moment. I know the feeling.
I have never had a problem with the finish or construction quality of any of the 17 Axiom speakers I've purchased over the years including some with custom finishes. Let's say that something happened to those speakers during manufacture, how do they get shipped in that condition? It would speak to a total absence of quality control.

Maybe US Customs opened the boxes and treated the speakers with all the care you'd expect from a government worker. I assume that neither the purchaser or anyone acting on his behalf subjected these speakers to rough treatment.

Very disturbing.
You Torontonians are cursed! They are only a few hours away from Dwight.
I think it has to do with the Dock Spiders.
I called Axiom but JC isn't in today. I spoke to Brent and forwarded him the link to this thread. I can wait until tomorrow once JC is back in the office though.

It's true I'm a little disappointed but I'm not that concerned as I'm sure Axiom will handle this properly.

I'm so tempted to hook them up but have decided not to at the moment. If I'm not going to keep them then I shouldn't use them, it wouldn't be right.

Oddly I was expecting the M80's to be much bigger than the M60's but they really aren't that much bigger. Maybe an 1.5inches taller and deeper. Definitely like the magentic covers.
Bruno, respectfully, there's no way for us to know what the overall percentage of defects/complaints is, or how it compares to historical measurements, or if there is a correlation between forum traffic and the overall QC at the company.

I just don't see the point in "piling on" here. Publicly posting this stuff before the vendor has had a chance to do the right thing tends to establish perceptions that may not be accurate.

I think it would be more gracious to give our hosts the benefit of the doubt.
Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
Just CALL them.

I think everybody who isn't Daniel needs to just relax a little. Remember, we only hear about problems, and if this was "normal", Axiom wouldn't be in business.

Take 3 big deep breaths. Gasp..wheeze. Gasp..wheeze. Gasp..wheeze. There. I feel marginally better.
Just got an email from Brent. He is reordering a new pair for me and said I should go ahead and use them until the replacements arrive. I informed him I still have my M60's so no need to use them.

Problem solved as I expected.
Tom, I was also talking from personal experience. I agree with you and we shouldn't make bad publicity for Axiom (I love my speakers smile ) but something is up lately with their QC. As I mentioned, Axiom had always made everything right in the end and I'm sure this time will be no different.

Edit: I'm a slow typist (and I'm typing at work smile ). And yes, as expected!
Hi Daniel,

Axiom will take care of this issue immediately. Your patience is appreciated.

THAT's what I'm talkin 'bout! smile
Hook em up!!!!!
I didn't know that George Lucas worked for Axiom.
Originally Posted By: Lampaxiom
I didn't know that George Lucas worked for Axiom.

+1

Glad it was taken care of. Those looked like they were used and not new by the imperfections. AS expected, Axiom will make it right.
Originally Posted By: Lampaxiom
Hook em up!!!!!

I'm tempted but I want the final product hooked up. One that I know is all mine...my precioussssss it is...yessssssssss
Your strength to not use them is very commendable but HOOK THEM UP. Once these speakers are back at Axiom they are dismantled or sold to friends/workers of the company as USED units, never to the public; so you are not really hurting anything by using them now.
Yeah, hook em up and enjoy em!
Let em rip! then give us a comparison between the M60's
Ahh well I reboxed them up now. I'd have to unpack them. Plus I just got the rma slip so want those huge boxes out of my living room.

Sorry to disappoint! I figured I'd share the disappointment all around lol. Why suffer alone when misery loves company!
::sigh::
The worst thing is it took about 3 weeks for my first set, if it takes the same which I expect I won't even be able to listen to them. End of the month I'll be trekking through India for a few weeks. So it's going to be a loooong wait! But at least I have something to look forward to once I get home!
Well 3 weeks later I just received my new M80's and I'm happy to say that they look beautiful! A most excellent job!

Here are some pics. The pics look a bit more orange that they really are. Didn't realize they had picked up the colour from the couch. I did a small bit of listening and I have to say they sound fantastic! I think I could definitely hear the difference from my M60's...Or is it wishful thinking? I'll have to sit down with them for a couple of hours.

Now I can go on vacation with a smile on my face smile

PS I just noticed one of my Havanese dogs slipped his face into the pic, sneaky bugger!

Very nice! Your room looks cozy and amazing.
Preeeeetty...
Yes comfort is very important to my dogs lol !

I sometimes get to enjoy the couch when they allow it! Thankfully they haven't figured out how to use the remote yet...

Very nice indeed.
I could nap there right now.

Oh, and nice speakers! smile
very impressive looking!
You make me wish I had HG. smile
Yah, that HG finish is nice.
OK, the problem is your M80s are too good looking. They'll never know whether they're loved for what they are instead of how good they look. Sad.
sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssweet!

I really like the one with the super tweeter on top smile
THanks for all the compliments!

The super tweeter really makes the highs shine! I'm saving to get a second one for the other speaker.

In listening to the 80's I can definitely say there's a wider soundstage than the 60's. I feel more immersed into the music.
What kind of supertweeter is that?

I use supertweeters on my Axiom made main speakers.
© Axiom Message Boards